Royal Mail Employee Reviews

Found 2,578 reviews matching the search
Inbound Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear21 September 2017
Good place to work and execellent salary. Sociable working hours and opportunities to progress within the company. I would recommend this position to people
interesting way of working inside the postal mail
Temporary X-Mas (Former Employee) –  London20 September 2017
6000 parcels to be separated by zip code,countries
fast job functionality
neat and efficient organization
ethnic diversity
letter and postcard culture
Pros
flexibility shift
Cons
not included lunch free
Motivating Staff
Christmas Casual Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester20 September 2017
A typical day would be to work hard from start to finish. I found the management to be very motivating as they rotated some of the roles around the warehouse and had a bit of a joke to give you a boost. Most of the fellow workers and management were good to work with.
Pros
Opportunities for Overtime
Cons
Small workspace
Great bunch of people to work with
Postal Worker (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh20 September 2017
I sort mail for first few hours before going out and delivering them to over 70 tenement flats in Edinburgh center. best part of job is working outdoors.
Pros
Job and finish, early Saturdays
Cons
very physically demanding and no desire or opportunities to progress in career
Mail sorter
Mail sorter (Former Employee) –  Swindon19 September 2017
The sorting of Christmas and/or general mail into the appropriate mail boxes. I exceeded the amount of mail that was to be sorted in the given time frame (targets)
My Duties: Loading and unloading mail in trolleys from vans and moving mail around in trolleys
Christmas Temporary Staff (Former Employee) –  South London, Greater London18 September 2017
I worked in one of the largest mail sorting offices in South London. We mostly worked within a team and covered night shifts. My primary duties included: Sorting through letters and parcels manually.
Decent Job
Health and Safety Consultant (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands18 September 2017
Great people to work with. Various roles in which you are left to get on with, different management styles from different managers, thus if you're not quite getting on with yours you can easily find one willing to help and switch to their team.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
It is a graft
Physically hard work not for the faint hearted
Postman/Driver (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset17 September 2017
Delivering mail/parcels across a large area.
It's not rocket science, but is both physically and mentally draining.
You need to be highly flexible and able to adapt to new situations quickly.
A culture of using negative motivational tools is endemic throughout the company. With increasingly unrealistic targets, and a culture of cost cutting. This often leads to periods of low moral, and sometimes industrial dispute with management.
However, the people you work with are the best part of the job, posties are all great, very hardworking people, that care a great deal about their jobs and providing a great service. They are the heart and soul of Royal Mail.
Pros
The great outdoors; physical workout everyday
Cons
Managerial attitudes; The weather; Christmas
Should have stayed
Postman (Former Employee) –  Durham17 September 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my role at Royal Mail.
Unsociable hours and salary forced move to other roles - shame, as I would have liked to have stayed. Good employer.
Poor training
Postman/Driver (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire16 September 2017
Manager did not greet me. Put on an hard walk. Had to use my sat nav on my phone. Poor training. I was a trainer and assessor at my previous job and this was bad. I waisted 6 months getting the job. Maybe it was me not sticking it out long enough. In the end very disappointed
Pros
Loved the walking
Cons
Agressive co worker on my 2nd day. I left after four days
Old Fashioned ways of working and male dominated
Post Woman (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath, West Sussex16 September 2017
Early starts at 06.30, then sorting mail and parcels constantly without stopping until around 08.30-09:00. Then loading up your van or Trolley with all the post and parcels for your designated round, before 4.5 hours of non stop delivering.

I learned that the job of a Postman/Post Woman is so much harder than people think. It is very physically demanding, and management put pressure on staff to work overtime, to take extra mail out and to work their rest day.

I found the work place culture very old fashioned where everything is done on terms of "seniority" (length of service). New starters are given the worst round that no one else wants and are the last to pick their annual leave, meaning getting time off in school holidays is virtually impossible.

Hardest part of the job is carrying very heavy mail bags, up hills in the rain and wind, working nearly every Saturday and lack of parking.

Enjoyable part of the job was meeting the handful of people that were really nice and being outside when the weather is warm and sunny.
Pros
Finishing at lunch time every day and lots of overtime if you want it
Cons
Physically demanding work and very male orientated work place
Boredom
Postman- Ascot Road (Former Employee) –  Watford15 September 2017
standing for long periods manually sorting mail, was only offered night shifts. This was 22 years ago and I only stayed for six months. This review means nothing due to the fact it was over two decades ago.
Pros
workmates
Cons
boredom
Good wage but very physically straining
Post Person (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness, Cumbria14 September 2017
The wage is good and theres usually overtime available for those that want it, management are nice people but can be a bit pushy when you don't want overtime. Its a very physical job and can leave you really drained at the end of the day, you'd be surprised at how many miles you end up walking even on a round with use of a van, 9 miles is about average for the day.
It's alright if...
Postal Worker (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 September 2017
... you don't get caught up in the office politics. Nice to be outdoors and with all the walking and carrying you don't need to keep up a gym membership ;) Can be miserable when it's raining badly though.
Pros
The nice people in the office
Cons
The physical part of the job
Fun and rewarding
Postwomen (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire13 September 2017
I have spent the last 13 years at Royal Mail and I have enjoyed every moment. I learnt so much within this role and ensured I was trained on as many rounds as possible so I was flexiable.
Pretty decent company
POSTMAN (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire13 September 2017
Delivery and sorting of mail and parcels, The setup of the company when I worked there was not great, due to management changing very often. Things were very unsettled. In the latter years this has been rectified and streamlined
Pros
Pension
Not good
Manager (Current Employee) –  UK13 September 2017
The company suffers from outdated work methods and all measurement is based on false figures on outdated systems, some good plans for the future but will they be in time?
Culture is very union orientated and many delivery offices are like scenes from the 80's.
Hardest part of the job is trying to get the enormous workload of unnecessary reports and duplicated tasks complete whilst spending most of the day doing things which you shouldn't actually be doing.
Most rewarding part of the job is getting the customers mail to them despite the massive adversity which is put in our way.
Pros
Relatively good wages
Cons
Bullying and threats from senior managers
Busy but nice pkace to work
Postman (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross12 September 2017
Meet demands have busy days as well.as quiet days check you're vecichle every day to make sure there is no faults have to meet targets every day nice staff who you work with and everybody gets along
Pros
Good pay benefits aswell
Cons
Weather and different managers all the time
Fun Workplace
Postman (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire12 September 2017
Was a great place to participate in a working environment. Only stayed at this job a week as it was work experience. Although I only worked there a week I learnt a lot and would work there again anytime.
Great salary and good time off
Delivery Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Thetford DO11 September 2017
Constant battles with staff and union sometimes puts a dark shadow on what could be a great job for all. Unfortunately old work place cultures are very difficult to change when the business and customer needs have changed.

Pay and other benefits are second to none and the day to day customer interaction is a pleasure.
Pros
Pay and A/L
Cons
Old work force culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Mail. Our community is ready to answer.