Royal Air Force Employee Reviews

Work before family.
Mechanical Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Lossiemouth, Moray20 February 2018
A typical day at work would see you trawling through mountains of paperwork to get anything done. The RAF is bogged down currently with massive amounts of administration before even simple tasks can be completed. Slaves to poorly procured contracts would see money wasted on a daily basis.

On a positive note the camaraderie is second to none. Friends for life. The hardest part of the job is leaving your family for long periods of time on deployment. You are paid extra while away but still doesn't make up for first days at school missed and first time your child walks or talks because you are away.
Pros
Free medical and dental treatment and great gym and leisure facilities.
Cons
Poor management and time away.
great and see the world
Corporal Caterer / Cabin Crew (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire18 February 2018
some of the best time of my life great times and got to see the world and meet great people good fun and highly recommend to anyone who whats adventure
Excellent way of life
Corporal (Former Employee) –  Various9 February 2018
Sixteen years’ service attaining the rank of Corporal working on fast jets, undertaking the replacement of major and complex armament assemblies and effecting major repairs to aircraft and associated equipment.
Professional and disciplined
Supplier Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire6 February 2018
A typical working day in the airforce starts at 0700 and finishes at 1900 on a 5 on 5 off shift pattern. My day is always changing due to the high work load and fast pace of the military. From meeting technicians demands for parts and spares to delivery briefs for the pilots and officers on current outstanding items that are needed. Also my day can consist of speaking to provisioning teams about getting items released to the airforce or loaning items from other allied military forces. Also we deal with Boeing aerospace as our aircraft platforms use parts from them. I get stuck in to jobs that can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hour such as picking items and dispatching them to various locations around camp, I also sort out repair solutions for items of high value that need to be shipped across the world and put in place tracking information so that the airforce always has viability of these item regardless of where in the world they are.

Being in the military I have learnt the basics of work which ranges from discipline, motivation, an eagerness to learn and achieve, respect and to carry out my responsibilities to the best of my ability.
Being in a logistical trade whilst in the military has opened my eyes to just how important my role is even though I am not on the front line my job effects the front line directly if I have not carried out my role successfully. From communication skills to being able to give a brief are just a few of many skills that I very learnt during my time with the Raf.
Pros
Free gym, health and medical care, paid holidays
Cons
Living away from family, long hours, going on tour
Raf
Senior Aircraftsman (Former Employee) –  Lincoln5 February 2018
Would recommend this service to everyone, I can't say enough good things about the airforce, from learning about the services to learning about yourself
Brilliant
Corporal (Technician) (Former Employee) –  newton31 January 2018
I enjoyed every minute of my time in the RAF. Excellent first class training,great team spirit and plenty of encouragement for advancement and promotion.
Good experience
Gunner (Current Employee) –  Leeming, North Yorkshire29 January 2018
Great experience! I have traveled all around the world and made some great friends along the way. In the military the pay is good and you do very little work on a daily basis, but when there is work on you can be under a lot of pressure.
Pros
See the world
Cons
Work/ home life balance isn’t good
A very challenging and rewarding career opportunity
ICT Technician (Current Employee) –  UK24 January 2018
Live life to the full whilst training for then working in one of 52 roles in the Royal Air Force.

Exceptional training for exceptional roles. Travel the world and work with state of the art technology
Interesting and diverse
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Various23 January 2018
A day in the RAF varies from one day to another, the opportunity for various course of development, free use of gym and pool facilities and not having to cook meals are a real plus.
Pros
Free gym, free swimming, courses
Cons
Short notice operations
Amazing and exciting
CHEF (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom23 January 2018
if you like to travel and see the world the royal air force is for you it molded me as an individual and has made me determined to be the best I can be in anything I lay my hand to they want the best so you give the best, training is free and management can be ok
Pros
decent pay, accomodation, travel, childcare
Cons
all over the world at notice
Challenging
Avionics/Electrical Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire22 January 2018
The Royal Air Force is a challenging environment to work in but lots of fun, opportunities to see the world are abundant. The pay isn't the best but the training and opportunities that can be had are immense.
great line of work. its a life style not just a job
house specialisti cabin crew (Former Employee) –  RAF Brize Norton19 January 2018
varies shifts
in the uk or abroad
good wage
can work yur way up the ranks if you work hard
great working relationships
job secruity
lots of courses and further education opportunities
Pros
Amazing life style
Cons
dont have a set weekely work pattern
Excellent work life with opportunities
Mechnical Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Raf Lossiemouth19 January 2018
Fantastic work place with ample opportunities to suit the vast. Ideal for younger people who look for a great start to a life career. Travel the world and get paid.
Recommend for any young person
Flight Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK13 January 2018
Great place to gain confidence and learn a lot of new skills. Work and social life was great and would recommend any young person to do a few years in the RAF.
Pros
Camaraderie
Cons
Not fun when "wars" break out
Mostly interesting and exciting with excellent team ethos.
Engineering Officer (Former Employee) –  UK10 January 2018
The Royal Air Force gave me the opportunity to develop quickly as an Engineering Manager and build valuable leadership skills. The life is thorough and demanding, yet the rewards are multiple and memorable.
Pros
Salary, responsibility, work/life balance (generally), team ethos.
Cons
Travel away from family, limited career choices
Great Career!
Compulsory Drug Testing Officer (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe10 January 2018
A fantastic career with plenty of career opportunities and advancement throughout the ranks if you work hard. No regrets and would certainly recommend.
Interesting and varied
Information Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Northumberland8 January 2018
A typical day at work starts with beverages and a talk about the tasks ahead - Computer and Telecommunication requirements and how we can achieve these requests.
I learned a lot about personnel/team management. Budget aspects and co-operation with clients and contractors.
Workplace culture depends on which department you are working in, generally very good, with a great deal of humour.
Having to go overseas on detachment for 4 or 6 months.
Learning new skills and meeting different people.
If you wish to travel and have a wide variety of tasks and meet different people then this could be the job for you.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Oversea detachements
Rewarding career
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Coningsby, Lincolnshire6 January 2018
A rewarding career path. A role in the RAF not only teaches you a set of outstanding core values to live by but also offers you the opportunity to be the best version of yourself. The opportunity to travel, gain experience and qualifications is second to none with opportunities also in sport and adventurous training available to all who want it.
Pros
Education, training & travel.
Cons
No longer has the job security it once did.
Challenging
Royal Air Force Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Lincoln4 January 2018
A very challenging career from the first day you walk into the careers office until the day you leave. You have to be serious about joining the military as it takes over the majority of your life.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Time consuming
Amazing job and experiences
Safety Equipment Fitter (Former Employee) –  Leuchars, Fife3 January 2018
Hard training and alot to learn but the lifestyle, chance of progression and salary made the job interesting, the lifelong friendships made and the chance to travel made it even better. A hard job but a fun job too.
Pros
Cons
Deployments to warzones