Public Health England Employee Reviews

Awful miserable place with non caring directors/deputy directors
Non-clinical role (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire18 August 2017
Worked here for 8 years and the place went from bad to worse. Clinical staff paid to "direct" with no apparent skills or qualifications in management, let alone strategy or directing human beings. A lot of the staff were miserable and stressed and whilst the work in itself was interesting, however hard you try, the people and process get you down. Directors/deputy directors turn a blind eye to this and stamp their feet to get what they want. Bad place to work .
Pros
Type of work interesting
Cons
Directors and deputy directors have no human qualities, of apparent management experience-they are clinical
Challenging opportunity
Buyer (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Harwell, Oxfordshire4 August 2017
I was a contractor but the pay for permanent member of staff was poor so when the option came I did not take it.

My duties included raising purchase orders for higher value requisitions after ensuring they met the regulations.
come to a meeting again.....
Various Roles (Former Employee) –  Northern England20 July 2017
Pros – good if you like going to meetings, team building exercises, over complicating statistics, rail travel to London.

Cons – over staffed and large amount of work is created by internal processes and meetings rather than the public good. 7 year pay freeze, London centred, very left leaning, and cringe worthy amounts of virtue signalling. Good also if you want to continue your academic career your colleagues can pick up after you whilst you do your own thing. Public Health England is 1/3 genuinely caring people who wish to make a change, 1/3 woolly liberals who like meetings and would be unemployed otherwise, 1/3 career types who no longer use the English language in the same context as ordinary people understand it.
Cons
lots of meetings
Supportive
Biomedical Scientist (Former Employee) –  Whitechapel then Colindale21 June 2017
Typical day at work includes grasping the primary, once you have understood this then you understand the Hain then appreciate the DSTs and possibly the third lines DSTs.
The management and team is very supportive understanding and loyal.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Work is time dependant, i.e. Hain. The earlier you start the better.
Professional place of work
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Porton Down, Wiltshire15 June 2017
Good culture of training and developing new staff.Large organisation but with a friendly atmosphere. Varied work that is both challenging and interesting.
Occasionally long hours and career progression can be slow due to government cuts and downsizing.
Pros
Good culture, development opportunities
Cons
Poor career progression
Better off working in the NHS
Biomedical Scientist- Molecular Laboratory (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 May 2017
If you're looking to become a Biomedical Scientist look elsewhere, the NHS for instance. Staff there are paid quite a bit more, therefore PHE suffers from staff retention and the employment of new staff. A while ago laboratory staff were changed to civil service staffing structure. Due to the threat of closure we chose not to change to new terms and conditions as the redundancy package was far worse. No pay rise since 2014. Low and behold they are changing the lab management to an NHS provider which has no obligation to increase our pay. As a civil servant you are required to take meaningless courses on nothing to do with your actual job, more office based courses which are compulsory and useless. Management either don't know what is going on or lie. The list goes on...
Pros
Enjoy the actual work
Cons
interesting work that is dealt with - protecting the nation's health
surveillance officer (Current Employee) –  seaton house, Nottingham24 May 2017
Health protection work is interesting and often changing. Most people are lovely to work with and the values are good. I have worked for PHE for 11 years - there have been so many changes in the job role plus the location has changed twice. I have adapted to the changes and the move.
Pros
good salary
Cons
travelling to Nottingham every day too much
High workload, lack of recognition, poor management
Biomedical Scientist (Current Employee) –  Southampton24 May 2017
The organisation as a whole is more concerned with public image than staff, which are their best asset. The pay for a BMS is less than NHS, and job adverts give the impression that pay is on a scale depending on experience. This is not the case, and you do not move up the pay scale unless you are excellent in your appraisal. Only 3% of civil servants are 'allowed' to be awarded excellent, and evidence must be approved. MLA salary is less than what you would earn at a supermarket. Plus you loose your NHS T&C and pension. There is so much bureaucracy- this is something PHE do well! Workload is High, poorly organised and very stressful. Staff are constantly dumped on & morale is exceptionally low. We are all looking for employment elsewhere. The average turn around of staff is 18 months. Get experience then leave is my recommendation.
Pros
Good for experience
Cons
Too many to write!
If you like not feeling valued, this is for you
Assistant Healthcare Scientist (Former Employee) –  London3 May 2017
The company is more interested in constantly changing the names of the departments that you are working in or moving your place of work than actually keeping staff. Nobody feels valued. Having started in June and the yearly appraisals being in May, I had to wait a whole 23 months before I got my lousy 1% pay rise. The high up management are constantly trying to feed you jargon about what the company is doing, where in reality they are lying to you and selling you out to save money. For a company that is supposed to embrace staff advancement, I wasn't allowed to train for a role above me because it wasn't required for my current role. Go figure.
Pros
Hometime
Cons
I don't have enough space to type.
No comment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 March 2017
The organisation ethos is fine but as with most jobs it is entirely dependent on your team and attitude of those senior to you
Cold and Boring
Administrator/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Porton Down, Wiltshire7 February 2017
Work area very cold.
Staff individually very helpful, but collectively appear unhappy with their workload.
As a short term contractor, I was often left with very little to do, as the permanent staff did not have time to instruct in all aspects or procedures of the job.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
It was cold
Repetative and boring for young professionals
EO (Former Employee) –  Colindale, Greater London6 February 2017
A typical day at work would be to process incoming work and manage the flow of daily workload.
I learned a great deal as it was my first official job:- time management, team work and SOPs. I was a specialist in my field and provided results second to none with respect to my role.
Management tend to get lost in themselves and pay no attention to the needs of their staff. In all honesty, the management mentality at PHE were more along the lines of "organised gangs".
Workplace staff were all very unhappy and unsure of where to go and what to do about it! No employee morale, solidarity in tatters due to cuts and lack of funding by government.
No aspect of the job was especially difficult apart from workload change due to seasonal change.
Most enjoyable part of the job was learning new techniques and being a part of the cause and effort against health inequalities. The staff leaving do's were also quite enjoyable, as there were so many!
Pros
on site cafeteria, good cause, positive impact in public health
Cons
unsociable, long hours, cafeteria very pricey!
Interesting place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London15 December 2016
Interesting place to work, co workers excellent. Not enough resources for getting jobs done. Lack of decision making by management in most areas. Very political.
great place to work
Senior Surveillance & Prevention Scientist (Former Employee) –  London10 August 2016
great place to work. rewarding. well run and organized. budgets are often too tight and constrained. a lot of turnover though due to little room to grow.
The low point of my career to date
Manager (Former Employee) –  London10 June 2016
No management, no one cares, no resources, nothing to do, pointless meetings, no one taking responsiblity, ohhh and the mice
Pros
It pays money
Cons
You have to be there
Helpful Co-workers, Meaningful Job
Graphic Assistant (Current Employee) –  London10 April 2016
A great environment with people who care about PHE and its standards. Made me feel very welcome and grateful to be on the team.
Productive and fun workplace
Head of Digital Delivery (Former Employee) –  London18 December 2015
Working with a porfolio of programmes / projects across 12 workstreams keeps you to your toes. Public Sector has a long way to go to catch up with the innovation and management best practices. But with so many brilliant individuals it's a challenge that can be done. Enjoyed introducing the Agile work practices and live reporting at portfolio level to enable best practices.
Wasnt a bad experience at all
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  waterloo18 September 2015
Nice organization with friendly people had a good overall work effort and sense of team work. Strong on personal development and growth.
Pros
Nice air conditioning in the hot summer
Cons
Good place to work but time to leave
Management Accountant (Corporate Services) (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, ENG17 March 2015
I work as a Management Accountant, having been promoted from within, originally as an Accounts Payable Purcahse Ledger Clerk then an Assistant Management Accountant. I have been here for nearly 9 years.

A typical day includes producing journals to correct miscodes, monitor the budget and adjust the forecast. I also do monthly reports that get published on our websites that show our spend - as we are a government agency, transparency has become a big topic.

Although the team is much larger and spread across the country, through restructure I am now working in a team of just two in my current location - me and my Manager. We work closely as a team - helping each other and covering when one is out of the office, which my manager often is, attending meetings. We are in regular communication with colleagues throughout the country, as we often have to work as a team to resolve issues, or to get some things authorised. Even though we are just a two-person team, we do work in a large open-plan office.

I do enjoy much of my work - working with others where I am in regular contact with others, investigating reasons why something may have gone wrong and helping with queries when someone comes to me with a question. Unfortunately, some people are harder to get answers from than others, which can make meeting certain deadlines much harder!
Pros
Working as a team, support, regular hours
Cons
Teams spread across country, government cut-backs
Huge potential but may never fulfil it!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  PHE Southwest7 March 2015
Motivating work, with enough variety and interesting range of tasks however local and national management seem to be driven only about building personal empires and not about supporting hard-working frontline staff to get on with their jobs. They rather run it into the ground ignoring and sometimes enabling prejudice and discrimination
Pros
Job stability
Cons
De-motivating management