Primark Employee Reviews

Found 2,396 reviews matching the search
A slow work place, with often unproffessional management.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds21 September 2017
During my time at Primark, I found that working there was less of an issue than being under the rule of an often unprofessional managing team, workers would often be gossiped about to other managers and supervisors, or in some cases the staff. Overall it is a generally stressful environment, due to the management.
Pros
Average pay
Cons
Poor management, No staff benefits
Okay for a first job
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire20 September 2017
Received training in order to operate tills and shown around the store. However the hours often extend due to cleaning the store after closing time, rather low pay rate, only a 10% discount and only near christmas.
Pros
Easygoing job
Cons
Always runs over hours after shop closes due to cleaning
Busy but cutomed based.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent20 September 2017
You had to work on the tills or shop floor organising the stock. It was fun when talking to customer and a bit busy on weekends you had to keep the shop floor clean and tidy easy for the customer.
Pros
Customer focused and hours are god.
Cons
Same routinue daily and no fun.
Demanding but straightforward
Stock management (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey20 September 2017
A lot must be done in short space of time but simply get your head down and do it.
Delivery comes in everyday. You must accept it, sort it and distribute it to the different teams. You input the new items onto the system and maintain the stock room in general.
Pros
Decent pay for retail and physically active
Cons
Pressured
Fun and friendly
Primark Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes19 September 2017
I've worked at primark for almost a year now. I've enjoyed my experience here. The atmosphere is great ad the work ethic is great too. It gets really busy so you have be very active.
good work place
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield19 September 2017
the staff are friendly and almost like a second family. working here has increased my confidence when taking to people and costumers. it has help me build on a lot of skills
n/a
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham19 September 2017
it was my first job from school got learnt how to use a till and take cash and card payments learnt how to fold and face clothes on the floor. also cleaning duties
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Pay is average/below, poorly managed, busy work environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London18 September 2017
Flexible hours but pay rate only increases by £1 or so when you turn 18.
Although over time is readily available, often understaffed leading you to feel pressured by managers into signing up.
Delivery shifts are quite tiring manual labor and the pay is below what the hours are worth.
Breaks are only given after 4 1/2 or 5hrs, and for a busy retail worker who is always on their feet this isn't enough time with breaks only being around 15 mins or half an hour sometimes.
Managers often don't know your name or recognize you even after having worked there for about a year.
Pros
Nice people, flexible hours, basic first job
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, very little breaks
Fun
Retail Operative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 September 2017
Primark is a nice place to work as they have many other staff members which are easy to get along with. Days can be very busy especially during the Christmas period but at other times it can be very quiet. Always kept busy with stuff to do and it's a nice job to be in.
worst management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon18 September 2017
The management was so poor. They spoke to employees like rubbish and also treated them badly too. Some team leaders are really horrible and pick of certain people.
flaws round every corner
Retail Operative (Former Employee) –  Blackpool18 September 2017
Pressures felt from head office were often turned onto shop floor staff being the issue rather than the organisation of management and supervisor staff.

a typical day at work
- start (hunt for a supervisor)
- am fill from stockroom, pm recover shop floor
- continually be told how much of a mess the place is despite everyone working hard
- communication between staff is pretty much a no-go

what you learned
- work is full of gossips. get in with the 'it' crew or keep your mouth shut
- do your manager favours and they'll give you more hours, refuse to do those hours once and expect your hours to be cut

management
- many flaws

workplace culture
- easy to make lots of new friends however don't get to attached as all in and out pretty quickly

hardest part of the job
- when you first do a full day, if you're not used to it then it can be very tired and painful on the feet - buy some comfy shoes and a foot spa!

most enjoyable part of the job
- some of the characters you will meet, whether it be staff or customers, you'll always have a laugh! because if you don't laugh, you'll cry!
Pros
easy to make friends, over time available (if management like you)
Cons
often given overtime ontop of contract hours without asking, unorganised hierarchy, petty 'favour' working business
Learning curve
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire17 September 2017
Primark is very good at offering those who have no past or current work experience a job. Since Primark is one of the busiest retail outlets it teaches you to keep calm and work under pressure, whilst also keeping professional and polite towards customers.
Pros
Good experience in retail
Cons
Working bank holidays
Productive work place; not fun.
Retail Operative (Current Employee) –  Marble Arch Station, Oxford Street17 September 2017
Since having worked at Primark almost 3 years. I can say that working there has not been a good experience.
The pay is very low especially with the standard of living in London soaring.
Some customers are rude and nasty.
Clothes and staff are treated like thrash by some customers.
Management is not well equipped to manage. Supervision is at its lowest as most supervisors are not experienced or cannot function in English grammar.
The company don't have good staff package and remuneration.
They don't have the welfare of it's staff at heart; only interested in sales; profits and gains.
Friendly staff
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford16 September 2017
While working at Primark Ilford, I would do a four hour shift on a Saturday to accommodate my Sixth form study. There was always the option to do overtime if i desired. My typical shift would consist of tidying shelves of clothes, folding, replenishing products that were running low, answering customer queries and working on the tills. The hardest part of the job was having to work quickly in a very busy environment at times. Personally the most enjoyable part of the job was bringing out new stock and deciding how to display it in order to increase profit for the company. I always felt like a valued member of the team and my colleagues were incredibly supportive and helpful.
Long hours of standing and poor management!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness, Highland16 September 2017
When I first joined the team I really enjoyed myself and woke up and looked forward to going to work, then I began to hate it when I realised how fake the people and management were. You'll work long shifts and be expected to stand the whole time and not even allowed to bring a bottle of water onto the floor so a 4 hour shift left you dehydrated. Some of the managers will walk around the floor and expect you to do this that and the other whilst already doing the job and serving the customers. No matter how busy you are the managers will come in and remind you about how busy you are and not offer to help at all and then give you into trouble if you weren't finished on time.
The customers expect you to be their slave and have no respect for you because you work at Primark.
A typical shift at Primark will leave you emotionally and psychically drained and you'll only have fun if you suck up to the managers and be fake to all your co-workers to make them like you.
Only get a discount at Christmas (which is fair enough because prices are cheap anyway) but still there is no motivation to keep up work there.
Pros
Pay is alright
Cons
Almost everything
experince
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool16 September 2017
some mangers are strict on some people but will leave the rest to do what they want which I call unfair
over all primark is a nice place to work when you get to know people but long hours to work as I work weekends I literally have no time to my self
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
long days to work
A really lovely place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 September 2017
I have learnt a lot working at Primark, i have made my way up the chain as I am now a supervisor. I enjoy working there but I have been employed at Primark for nearly 3 years now and I think its time for a change. My typical day at work is busy, hard work and also challenging. my customer service skills have improved massively over the 2 years+ I have been there for.
Pros
management is great
Cons
Not too bad of a place to work.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe15 September 2017
I worked here nearly 2 years. The shifts are short (only 4 hours) but there was always overtime if you wanted to do extra hours. Friendly people I worked with.
Pros
10% off at Christmas
Cons
Short shifts seem very long!
It was a fun environment to work in.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford15 September 2017
Working in Primark had given me different types of experiences to learn , whilst working in retail. From working on the shop floor , making my way to customer services to supervising completing bells when staff needed help , to working in the cash office and being a cashier handling the hard work in the office. I had different types of management skills involved however I had my time management skills used well. The culture of work was great could not fault anything. The hardest job was dealing with the angry customers but got over it over time as any customer service staff would. The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends , by having these friends it made the shifts at work enjoyable. The friends I have made will be kept for life.
Fun and team working
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford14 September 2017
I had worked for 1 and half year but it was joyful and learning everyday. I got promotted to cash office from shop floor keeping trust on my honesty and qualification. Left for better prospect.
Pros
Healthy environment
Cons
Part time contract

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Primark. Our community is ready to answer.