PPG Industries Employee Reviews

The lies...
Store Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Central Scotland8 February 2018
PPG like to claim that YOU are their number one priority, that's the big lie. You are nothing but a number. Focus on sales calls and chasing low spenders, pushing bonanza sales which typically have a negative impact, and senior management who don't understand the business or how a store actually runs. Unattainable targets are the icing on the cake!
Pros
Great customers, good chat.
Cons
Poor management, sales driven, you don't exist
Good lads to work with
Sliver handler (Former Employee) –  Wigan8 October 2017
Good lads to work with didnt mind job although many couldnt cope would have stayed there but for wanting to try self employment was a good place to work
Good job
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stowmarket1 September 2017
Hours were good, you always knew what shift patterns were. Staff were friendly. Location was easy to get to & it had secure parking. Job could be a bit repetitive at times
Pros
Hours
Cons
Repetitive at times
Productive and fun workplace
Paint Sprayer (Former Employee) –  Daventry, Northamptonshire30 July 2017
I Have had a good time working at ppg, the team was good to work around and very polite, i have learned a load of new things there in which some include spraying parts, powder coating car parts and many other, it was a good place to work at and enjoyable.
Pros
Great Team
Overall good workplace
filling machine operator (Former Employee) –  Stowmarket, Suffolk24 July 2017
Working for PPG was a great opportunity for me to learn new skills. I enjoyed my job and loved the people that I worked with. The only thing that let the workplace down was the management who did not respect their employee's.
Pros
Access to Gym and medical centre
Cons
Unsociable shift patterns
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Birstall, West Yorkshire28 May 2017
Through the one weeks work experience placement I leaned the manufacturing process and how to create invoices for orders.
Also helped set up till systems in different PPG shops across the country over two days.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
n/a
Workmen Distributor (Former Employee) –  Batley, West Yorkshire17 January 2017
I learnt new skills by working at PPG Industries, I learnt how to work as part of a team as well as individually.

The most enjoyable part was getting parcels ready for Parcel Force.
Good company to work for
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey28 November 2016
Great company to work for and a good bunch of people and had great times and learnt a lot while their.

Great meeting and catching up with people in the office that you speak to on the phone everyday
Culture of Fear
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  UK28 October 2016
Worked for this business in branches and in sales for 24 years. OK when it was Johnstones Paints and even when Kalon Ltd but under PPG the culture became increasingly demanding. Emloyee feedback is challeged by managment in small groups in an attempt to identifiy individuals who may have given negative feedback. Managment are driven very hard by their superiors which in turn leads to staff been given unreasonable workloads. Any concerns or dissent raised are viewed as a negative attitude and you will soon find yourself given unachievable targets and no support and then managed out of the business. Very high turnover of management and staff
Pros
Usual big company benifits
Cons
It will kill you
Terrible management
sales/ driver (Former Employee) –  Central Scotland30 August 2016
I worked here as a sales/driver in one of the retail decorating centres. Management is poor, unprofessional and uncaring, you are treated badly from day one. Stay clear of this unprofessional outfit!
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, poor pay, poor conditions
Not a bad place to work
Senior Colourist (Former Employee) –  Shildon8 August 2016
A leader in its field and a very good company to work for. Plenty of opportunities to climb the ladder and plenty of chance to travel if in the right job. Overall, a good company to work for.
Pros
Good healthcare, well paid.
Cons
Management slow in implementing new ideas/ strategies.
Terrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midlands20 July 2016
Whole work culture changed ,profit first ,you second bad management who can't manage and you get the blame .Customers great and I've learned so much about decorating
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Shift team leader at Stowmarket.
Shift Team Leader (COATINGS) (Former Employee) –  Stowmarket8 July 2016
Job was not as described, management had little or no idea what engagement was and or how to achieve it, it was basically a disciplined driven blame culture with no foresight on how best to increase productivity by developing and valuing the staff on all levels.

The shop floor operator and most other personnel were great and easy to get on with.

Hardest part of the job was being caught piggy in the middle between management and shop floor which should never happen !!, extremely unprofessional place to work under current management.
Pros
Cons
Treated like a child with school environment.
Soul destroying
Dogsbody (Current Employee) –  Not saying12 June 2016
I still work for this company. When you first start working for them you are full of high expectations, but that will soon deminish as you are mentally and physically abused by the relentless demands of money hungry management. They try to act as if they are your friends, but beware as they get their heads together and try to figure out how to squeeze every last drop of dignity from you. I am leaving this poison atmosphere as I have managed to get some money together and I am taking a year off. Stay well clear.
Pros
Cons
Treat their workers like vermin
Terrible if you're agency
Production/filling Operator (Former Employee) –  Stowmarket7 March 2016
I was an agency worker here for over a year and felt that the agency are not treated grately. It was understood that the shift patterns would be erratic, but on more than once occasion had my rota changed without notice. Full timers where given a letter of thanks and a cash incentive for extra work done whilst some referb was being done, the agency that did that same amount of work didn't even receive a verbal thank you and was told because it was not performance related we were not entitled. On the subject of perfomance related, everyone received a letter stating that the site had reached its targets to obtain a decent performance bonus, but had to be employed at a certain date to gain the bonus. Some of the released by the company coincidentally before this date even thought they had been there the whole period of time to obtain the bonus. Would certainly not recommend PPG Industries in Stowmaket.
work here at your peril
store operations manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside9 February 2016
lone working, under pressure to answer phones whilst trying to serve disgruntled tradesmen having to wait as your having a heart attack with doing the job of 3 people, receiving orders,placing orders,hounding traders in accordance with the warbook to get them into store,taking abuse from traders,running out of change in till, no support to do bankings and get change from bank,no support full stop!!!, forget about having breaks and lunch you wont have time!!,long hours,extra hours that you dont get paid for, if you are not use to stress do not apply unless you want to go to an early grave
Pros
able to get another job
Cons
doing more than your job description
fun place to work at
Operations Machinery (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG26 January 2016
when I worked at PPG I learned how to fill panit up for people to bye and how much should be in a tin.

the people I worked with was really nice and I can say I made some friends.

the management was nice and they understand things when you need them

the hardest part of my job was when I had to weigh the tins to make sure they was the right weight.

meet new people and learning new skills.
Pros
free lunch
productive
Crew trainer (Former Employee) –  Wigan, ENG23 January 2016
it is a high pace with the best in class fiber glass in and around the world. i worked my why from the shop floor to the crew trainer after 5 years and learned a lot about lean manufacturing i.e 5s. we work with hot glass and work to high standards.
Pros
a chance to learn and go on to better things
Cons
Continental shifts days and nights 12 hours but after 13 years they do not bother me any more
Rewarding
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Morley, ENG18 January 2016
Replenishing stock on shelves
Stock room maintenance
Till operator
Customer Liaison
Personal shopper

Working as a team is the key part of interacting with fellow co-workers.
Interacting with customers can be both the hardest & enjoyable parts of the job depending on how you communicate with them.
productive and fun work place.
machine operative (Current Employee) –  Birstall6 January 2016
Great company to work for. The managemnt and team members are friendly and reliable. I have learnt many team skills during my time here.
Cons
Temporary employment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPG Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

PPG Industries Reviews by Location