Poundworld Employee Reviews

busy store
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Cardiff11 November 2017
expremely fast paced store to work in very demanding but enjoyable to myself sometimes can be chaotic but friendly staff to work with and I enjoy talking to customers as I am very customer friendly.always up for a challenge you take a lot of stick from some unhappy customers but keep smiling and be helpful it will pass .
Pros
helping out customers
Cons
customers that are rude
Working at poundworld is Is excellent if you want to become a store manager or shopfloor supervisor as the company allow you to progress .
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hyde, Greater Manchester9 November 2017
Working at poundworld is a fast paced environment where you need to make sure the shelves are constantly full and customers have 100% range to choose from.its hard but achievable.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No staff incentives.
sales assistant
Nottinghamshire - Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield2 November 2017
Working through the future jobs fund on a six-month contract where I gained qualifications in the retail sector, my tasks included:
Removing delivered stock from delivery lorries on cages
Sorting delivered stock into relevant cages
Organize displays
Keeping shelves well stocked with relevant goods.
Facing stock items on the shop floor
Keeping shop floor clean and tidy at all times
Carrying out risk assessments
Providing excellent customer service
Dealing with enquiries from customers
Meet and communicate with members of local public
Very Bad Place to Work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton, Surrey28 October 2017
The company overall is OK but this sutton store has very bad mangement, needs don't get met, everything you say gets disregarded, also many people even quit when had no other jobs to go back to
Pros
There are nun
Cons
Good company but line management fail the shop
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire16 October 2017
Poundworld as a whole are great and are fair, the new manager that I have to deal is a bully. Always finds a way to knock me down at least once a week and the worst part is she is a hypocrite.

I have 9 years service in this shop and nothing I say means anything and even opinions are healthy, if it's not her way of thinking then it's wrong and I get my job threatened.

Catch 22 everyday and always walking on egg shells.
starting in the morning
Sales Asst/Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride16 October 2017
Checking the till first thing in the morning and also filling up the batteriesand the tobacco items back on shelf. Serving the public with there items at the till and making sure that they have the right change back and being helpful at all times.
Quiet a busy workplace, nice workplace. Find it abit boring however.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Strood, Kent15 October 2017
I liked the shop at first but it’s now become a bit boring for me and I want a new challenge. I’d also like to earn more money because it contributes to my transport for education which is quiet expensive. I work hard and looking for a better environment to work in and earn money. The shop gets polite customers in strood but majority of them are abit rude. I would like a change.
Pros
I work with nice people.
Cons
Wages are too small, long hours for little money.
worked as a team
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff10 October 2017
i worked as hard or even harder than most workers who was on 3x more than what i was on and didn't get noticed for putting in the extra work. They expected abit too much sometimes when it was impossible to be done.
Pros
Cons
short hours. pay.
cashier
cashier (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire8 October 2017
my typical day at work was serving customers on the till and pointing out till sales throughout the day

when the store closes facing up the store for the next day
Pros
stood at the till most of the day
Cons
finishing late
A absolute laughing stock of a business
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire5 October 2017
Overall Poundworld has to be the worst company I've worked for. Store level staff are great for the most part, very sociable and can work extremely hard as a team. Outside of store level, the company is a joke. Health and safety in store is beyond rubbish, floorboards lifting off the ground, door hanging off at one point, a light switch which sparks. The shop is just falling a part at seams. Anytime a request for maintenance is put in, its denied by head office even after numerous incidents. Staff are treated like dirt from head office, including store management. The job isnt even stressful, it's just draining to the point where it grates on your mood. They really need to get their act together and take better care of their stores and staff. Also actually start looking at implementing proper health and safety standards.
Pros
Socialable, good team
Cons
Everything else
Slow and Tedious
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport30 September 2017
Shift started out with me cashing up with manager, then opening tills and waiting for customers to serve. If no customers were around, I would clean and organize the area around the tills.

Shifts were inconsistent as they were given at the end of the week (for the upcoming week).

Other employees would stock shelves, usually there would be me and another person at tills, sometimes just me. During peak times, lines of customers would form which meant I was constantly calling for another employee to help serve.
Pros
Two breaks due to age
Cons
Enjoyable company to work for.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fleet28 September 2017
Good products and good value. A well known company with a good reputation. Dealing with customers was the most enjoyable part of the job.

They where helpful to work with.
Awful
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire27 September 2017
Bad maasnagment little pay i hated it did so much work wasn't paid enough would not advise anyone to work for them even management don't earn enough and they still stuck up there self
Pros
Worked in the back
Cons
Pay
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross25 September 2017
It's was a job, just working on the tills and stacking shelfs, is was good and got me a start in the work place but looking for something different and learn more skills.
Morgue Like
Sales Assistant job at Poundworld in Bude (Current Employee) –  Bude, UK22 September 2017
Backstabbing bunch of narcissistic power hungry jobsworths, poorly run and the management dont care about the workers and speak to them like something they have stepped in on the street and expect you to be thankfull for it
Pros
Cons
poor management, poor hours, no advancement
hard going
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Motherwell, North Lanarkshire21 September 2017
it was a hard going place to work as you were always extremely busy and kept going but had to deal with thieves day in day out with no security. most of the time it was good though.
Awful
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury21 September 2017
Supervisors and managers treat staff like rubbish. Poor management. Messy shop. Tills always broken. Some staff treated customers in a poor manner. Low wage (£4 = minimum wage). Did not organise staff well therefor some days they were lacking staff. No praise for good work. All round awful place to work. (New staff never stay, don't blame them)
Pros
Nothing at all. Dont work here.
Cons
Everything.
Fast pasted and fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  broadstairs westwood cross20 September 2017
At Poundworld the week is split into 3 Monday and Thursday- delivery day, Tuesday and Friday- order day, Wednesday and Saturday- Wearehouse day. We all work close to a time frame everyday. example: on a delivery day we have 4 hours to complete a 15 pallet delivery then have 1 hour to face the shop and sweep and mop and get everything ready for next days trade.

i have leaned so much while being at Poundworld from learning how to remerch the shop to cashing up.

The management is friendly and is there 100% for all staff with any issues at hand.

Everyone at Poundworld is so friendly and is willing to help if anyone needs the help.

the hardest part of the job was to remurch the shop to a multi priced store every Sunday for 6 months.

the most enjoyable about the job is there is always something to do and you are always kept busy with the time frame you will always be on your feet.
Pros
acceptable hours
Cons
long shifts
Retail Sales Assitance.
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester15 September 2017
I learned how to use the till and where the products were if the customer is looking for such a thing. I also learned about COSHH and Health and Safety.
I enjoyed working as a team or independently, i also enjoyed working on the till and organizing the shelf.
Everyone was kind and friendly and it made me enjoy coming to work.
Unsatisfactory
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham14 September 2017
Working at Poundworld was not the greatest workplace. Despite this, i learnt communication skills with customers. I also learnt how to work as a cashier and stock take.
Pros
socialisation with customers
Cons
minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Poundworld. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6