Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Good overall service and customer care
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead19 November 2017
When I was doing unpaid work at pets at home I was working on the shop floor and in the warehouse meaning I had a wide range of different experience with not only people but animals aswell.
Awful place to work
Stylist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster18 November 2017
This place is full of bullies, and they gave me chronic depression and anxiety, and then made jokes about it to me all the time. They never took my illness seriously, very mean people, all stick together to make you feel pushed out! Management was a joke, it was him who thought it was hilarious to upset me!
Pros
I enjoyed working with the pets.
Cons
Everything else
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Suffolk12 November 2017
Pets at home is a good place to work, lots to learn and very enjoyable. Lots of courses of offer to pass skills and gain knowledge on different animals, I made lots of friends in the two years I worked here and miss It greatly.
Fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester4 November 2017
My role was stacking the shelves , making sure stock on the shelves wasnt running low . Till work 'customer service. Answeing calls and helping with enquiries. Cleaning out the animals . Cleaning duties when we was near to closing . I enjoyed the job as you got to meet lots of different people during the day .
Pros
Meeting people
Not the best
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  North East3 November 2017
Management in both stores I worked in was extremely poor. I experienced bullying and harassment by multiple members of staff. They claim to put 'pets before profit' however this is not the case as all they care about is money through the till especially on the grooming side.
A union is not provided. It is difficult to get anything done about management treating staff poorly as the issue is always ignored.

hours are long and only one weekend a month off is allowed- very difficult to see loved ones or have a life
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours, poor management, bullying
Fun place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield1 November 2017
The people were very nice and help you work. You learn a lot of skills such as communication, patience and teamwork. Easy place to get to know and you make lots of new friends.
ok
Assistant Manager, Pets at Home (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire31 October 2017
i have worked there for ten years and in that time it had gone from a grate place to work to a place where more and more people leave evey day and they try and save money bye having less staff and more tasks leading the customers and stores to sufer
Okay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire31 October 2017
Nice place friendly team fun everyday is different laughs, animals are great to work with. Get to progress to the groom room or sometimes vets. Store transfers available
short hours
Shop Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland26 October 2017
My time at Pets at home was spent doing general shop duties such as stacking shelves, sweeping the shop floor, cleaning, bedding and feeding the animals.
Good
Assistant Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Hove, East Sussex24 October 2017
Good but managers do change a lot which can be a pain if your wanting to move up an they don't like the change. However lots of learning opportunities on every individual
Pets they sell only have to work one weekend day a week.
Pros
Discount, one weekend a week
Cons
Regular change of managers
Pay and conditions slowly being eroded by market forces
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall23 October 2017
Over the 4 years I worked for PAH the change has been meteoric.
Very professional from top to bottom and they do appreciate their staff.
Its very much harder than you could appreciate, both physically and mentally. Faster paced than you would observe from the outside.
Fun
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Byfleet23 October 2017
Fun place to work if u enjoy working with pets
Putting delivery away
Working on the till
Serving customers
1 hour lunch break with cigarette breaks
Training given
Cold but alright place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester9 October 2017
I love it at the start of the year but as it went on it was the exact same things I was doing every week which I didn't find very enjoyable to my liking.
Pros
Loved being with animals when I could
Cons
Cold place
Family company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Herefordshire8 October 2017
Always opportunities to learn, working with customers on day to day basis aswell as caring for the animals within the store. Managing the team in a possitive way to hit targets.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
unsociable hours
Great at Store level
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South West7 October 2017
A great job at store level but ruined by Area managers and upwards.
Unrealistic KPI's to meet and you're sure to fail so they can avoid paying the yearly bonus.
I'm part of the management team and for a manager there are far better paid jobs out there. Area manager expects you to work on days off or pull all day shift's as managers are leaving in their droves. Being on salary, your equivalent hourly rate is below that of a colleague once you've worked 6 hours over your contracted 39.

Why have I not left if it's that bad you ask? The team, the guys I work with are like family and that is why i'm still treading water.
Pros
staff discount, colleagues
Cons
area manager, unrealistic targets
Fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentford, Greater London7 October 2017
A bubbly work place that are keen to give their employees as much training as possible. Very easy to progress in this company. Pets at Home only employ upbeat and energetic individuals.
Pros
Working with animalse
Fantastic
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 October 2017
I love working for this company and they are excellent to their staff! They are kind to their colleagues and live up to their award of employer of the year!
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to learn
Cons
Can be stressful
Lots of favourtism
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Not applicable6 October 2017
Lots of favouritism. If ur not in the in crowd then u get treated like rubbish. Manager r backstabbers. Will throw u under the bus if theyre in trouble. Colleagues who dont work get away with everything but if u take a five minute break u get told off for not working. Lots of favouritism and very unfair
Cons
Too much favouritism
Good place to work, plenty of opportunities to learn and educate others
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Dorset4 October 2017
Great job, not just dealing with the animals. Get lots of chances to learn on the job and also always the possibility to teach others about how best to care for animals. Can be difficult when people don't listen and you see poor welfare. It is a retail store so you don't get to 'play' with the animals, but daily cleaning/spot cleaning means you get lots of interactions with them.
Lots of benefits for the staff, such as once trained you get a pay rise and birthday off (paid). Management are good and very efficient. Hours are really flexible and vary from 4 to 9 hours.
Pros
Pay rise when finished training, plenty of opportunities to learn, can help welfare of animals, good pay.
Cons
Some staff don't have much enthusiasm for animals and some staff will sell social animals singly.
Its a job
Assistant Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Enderby28 September 2017
Its just a shop, that sells animals and products. if you just want to go to work and go home, no stress, no problems, its the job for you. do offer training in areas if you wish to expand your career

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.