Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Salon Manager, Dog Grooming (Current Employee) –  Barry, Vale of Glamorgan15 February 2018
Love the company. They always put pets before profit. And they oook after there team members. Really good yearly bonuses, at least 6 weeks holiday a year
Pros
Birthday payed day off
All staff were extremely helpful and polite!
Sales Assistant/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire11 February 2018
Since this was only work experience and lasted a total of a week. I really enjoyed it, I was excited to go into work everyday, since everyone was nice! I would recommend working with a place like Pets At Home - especially if you have a passion for animals like I do. I was involved with a lot of jobs which went I was on my feet all day, giving a helping hand around the store. I mostly helped prepare to made the animals food and water bottles, I cleaned the pens/cages externally and internally. I dealt with customers and any problems that came across. Overall I wouldn’t mind working there.
Pros
Polite staff
Valuable Exerience
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire9 February 2018
This temporary job placement allowed me to gain some skills needed for the workplace. The staff were kind and outgoing and gave it there all to make me feel comfortable. They seemed extremely organised and prepared for me upon arrival.
really enjoyable place to work
Dog Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walkden6 February 2018
enjoyed every minute of my work experience, cleaning the animals enclosures, feeding and watering them, watching 2 operations, and helping wash and dry the dogs, every bit was amazing
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool5 February 2018
It is a great place to work at pets at home as it is a great job experience to work their as all the staff are kind and can help you with anything you need.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
A lovely place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Tiverton5 February 2018
Pets at home is a lovely place to work and you feel like you are a big family. The animal care is brilliant and they do so much behind the scenes for the animals that customers don't know about.
The staff act like a big family and the managers actually get stuck in and help you. They will help with animal cleaning when asked and dont treat you any differently.
The company do help you to get higher in the business and also be able to specialise in different subjects that you are interested in.
Overall one of the best companies i have worked for. The only negative and reason i left is the hours and pay as the stores are open until 8pm in the evening and sometimes you have to start at 6am if there is a delivery.
Pros
Positive company
Cons
Hours and pay
Stress free, enjoyable but not amazing
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Shrewbury1 February 2018
Like most places the experience heavily relied on management. Not very supportive of employees in full time education. Once my contract was put to 0 hours, I was not told about shifts I’d been put on then dismissed due to not showing up to work... very unfair.
Pros
Training
Cons
Duties often unfair, 0 hours leading to unfair dismissal
Fast pace environment
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton le Dale, Lancashire30 January 2018
I worked here for my work experience while still at high school, on a normal day I would help clean out the animals and shelf stock while being assassinated by someone.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
disappointment, embarrasment and an unmanagable company
standard colleague (Former Employee) –  norfolk29 January 2018
I really enjoyed working here...for a few months, then I began to dread going in.
There is so much backstabbing and favouritism between colleagues and management. I felt so unappreciated-no matter what you do, it’s never good enough. The management is abysmal and might as well not exist. E.g: one ‘manager’ would rather sit in the colleague room ALL DAY and not come out when asked or needed. Instead, they ignored everyone, on a busy Sunday, where there were only 3 people working that day.
THERE IS NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE. since working here I've had to book holiday just to spend a day with family it’s that bad. I am ALWAYS denied holiday. I don't work the days I was promised (Monday-Friday) when I applied and was interviewed. I often cover other colleagues when they need a day off. In 9 months I’ve had 3 Saturdays off as I've had to book them as holidays. 2 of which were weddings. There's no agreements with the management over shifts or holidays. you don't get set days off you get as and what they feel like. This means you can’t plan to do anything outside of work. the company says you will be able to see the rota for 4 weeks in advance. The amount of times we've had one weeks rota up is ridiculous. There is such a lack of organisation its unbearable
There is so much more hassle that comes with this job than I thought there would be when I started.
People seem to get 'dibs' on not doing jobs. And no one ever seems to want to do a pet sale, or a till shift. Most people just hide out the back talking about each other.
The hardest part of the job is motivating yourself to
  more... not break down during the day, be it from stress or a customer shouting at you over something that's got nothing to do with you.
yes, there is that interaction with pets which is a huge draw to the job, mainly customers’ dogs. However the amount of times myself and colleagues have been told off by management because we were helping a customer and acknowledging and interacting with their pets.
And the amount of times no just colleagues of the same level but managers have come up to me and told me to do a different job that they don’t want to do, when I was in the middle of helping a customer with something or selling them a pet.
Pros
lunch break. getting to pet a dog or two. going home
Cons
incredibly poor managent. terrible atmosphere to work in. unenjoyable
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
Amazing team, a lot of responsibility.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire25 January 2018
The colleagues who work at pets at home are usually amazing to work with, but it is a normal retail environment at the end of the day with alot more responsibility than a normal retail job.
Great colleagues in workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Speke24 January 2018
I worked at Pets at Home Speke for 1 week for work experience. The workplace always had something to do and my other colleagues within the workplace were friendly and willing to offer support when needed. I learnt to organise stock on shelves within the store and also learnt basics on working as a cashier. One of the hardest parts for me personally was working with customers with more specific requests such as recommendations and advice, as I didn't have enough knowledge to give sufficient advice; however, I suppose that could not have been helped. This is a very relaxed company to work for and I highly recommend them.
Pros
Friendly, helpful colleagues
Cons
N/a
Friendly but frantic place to work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Bracknell23 January 2018
You won't find a team to work with quite like this anywhere else, everyone is friendly and a little bit crazy and will make you feel like part of the family but the work is hard. It is a very labour intensive job and the customers can be very demanding.
Pros
Lots of training
Cons
Management gets moved around which can disrupt the team ethos
A good workplace
Voluntary Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire22 January 2018
I learned how to sort out the food for the animals, how to sort out the products and check the prices.

I enjoyed everything about my work experience.

I worked on Thursdays at Pets at home for 3 months at 09:00 to 15:30.

I never had any salary because I was on an unpaid work placement from college.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
I didn’t get any salary
Excellent
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire19 January 2018
whilst i was there i got to handle animals and help customers with enquires. the staff are very nice and welcoming and i recommend going there to anyone.
Fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff18 January 2018
Nice job. Work isn't overly stressful or demanding. Supportive managers and lovely customers. Had a good culture and ethos. I would recommend this company
Pros
Fun
Cons
Pay
Fun and good for animal lovers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London18 January 2018
When you arrive you would usually make sure that the animals are well and start replenishing stock for the day ahead for the first hour or two. The rest of the day are spent making sure customers are happy and helped and that the store is clean.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom16 January 2018
I regret leaving sometimes as I could have progressed further if I had stayed, the training is extensive and thorough and there are always courses to attend should you want to go further in the business. The perks are great too (apart from weekend working but thats retail for you).
Pros
Lots of training free to you
Cons
Retail hours, bank holidays etc.
Colleagues make the job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall16 January 2018
Working for this company for 4 years moving up within the store is really hard. The stress of the company is a joke and no help or support. Colleagues are undervalued with unrealistic expectations. Pay is awful!
Pros
Some colleagues are great to work with.
Cons
Everything about the job
fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Merseyside15 January 2018
it was a good experience for me working here and this taught me how to work in a good workplace and this was my first experience working here in pets at home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.