Patisserie Valerie Employee Reviews

stressful
Deputy Store manager (Former Employee) –  edinburgh17 January 2018
Completely unorganized. Management didn't treat staff fairly or with respect. Busy and always short staffed. Always having to do over time or stay hours after shift finished. Under paid many times. Overtime unpaid.
Laughable
Back of House (Current Employee) –  Southport9 January 2018
Applied for a full time job, but they cut my contract to less than half of the hours I started off with. But what's worse is that they will make cuts to my hours with next to no notice, so I'm not even getting the hours I'm contracted! Even if I do make it into work, they usually end my shift early anyway. It doesn't help that our management is poor and we're always either overstaffed with nothing to do, or understaffed and overwhelmed.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No guaranteed hours, Inconsistent hours, shifts are cancelled with almost no notice, poor management
Not worth it, in the end.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  London20 December 2017
I don't recommend this job I worked there as a waitress for a almost half year and in the end it wasn't worth it.
First of they don't guarantee hours, so it's not like you are going to work 35 h, weekly sometimes it's more sometimes it's less. They cut of my hours and they didn't tell me before.
The salary is minimum and you offer a lot, like your weekends, evenings and just over all your energy. As a waitress a lot of energy goes to apologizing: for cakes that we don't have, drinks that came late, things that are missing, for waiting so long, etc. So you need to have a thick skin.
You will be representing the company so even if it's not your fault you will have to keep on a good face. Service is not included and the amount you get will a lot of times counts on how nice you are and how your colleges work.
I have to work through Christmas, which I didn't get off, even if I asked with 2 months in advance. There is not going to be any Christmas party or even a "Thank you" card from the company.
How ever you will probably meet some great people working there and you will get to eat great cake. But as I wrote. With no weekends of and working holidays you get disconnected with the rest of the world a bit. And not enough money to actually enjoy your life.
Any how good luck!
Pros
Colleges, cake, free food
Cons
Pay, holidays, weekends
bad place to work because very bad management
Chef (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire1 December 2017
i was enjoying my job and i just left coz the mangers very very bad and they have no skills to be mangers not organised shifts they never solve problem and they dont value the work which done and finally the the assistant manger said to me rude words . i am shoked
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours and over times and late breek
Horrific
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire22 November 2017
Management is absolutely horrendous! I never got trained so to a certain extent had no idea what I was doing, I'd get shouted at for doing something wrong. I used my initiative to try and do my best but my best wasn't not good enough. The communication was bad I never got told what shifts where changed and when, as I couldn't always get there and they said they would let me know when it changed!
Pros
Discount
Clicky clicky
Waiter\waitress (Former Employee) –  Everywhere16 November 2017
The worst company you can ever work for it all about money money money , management don't know what there doing and they are bullies with no experience what's so ever....... ( the company never do background checks) or check references.
And I really don't know how this company hires there management my opinion is as long as you have a big B§§S or you can bulls§§t your way you in you are hired . And as the area managers are usless and don't like to hire someone with experience or people who will genuinely care a about the business they hire people who don't have clue how to run a business or train there staff so they can look better . You will never see your area manager or regional manager EVER but they can find a way to play games with general manager \manageress if you see what I mean ;) even if its no permitted ;)
Message to the owner regional manager area Manger talk to your waiters \barista and lower staff they are the driving force as they are in the front like NoT you managers who go for a break every 20 min .
Pros
No split shifts
Cons
All the above
Disgusting
Chef/microwave technition. (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire16 November 2017
Cross contamination means nothing to the "microwave technitions" in this place.complete lack of food hygiene from both front and back of house. Management were complete air heads with no organization, experiance or control. Racism and complete lack of respect for others. Appalling!
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Everything else
patisserie valerie
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Marble Arch Station2 November 2017
I like work with the nice people, the managers helpful, the costumers nice as well so enjoy the work. The hardest part for the job when u need to deel with the costumers.
Place with great cakes
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge2 November 2017
Very challenging job as duty manager, a lots of work under pressure and time consuming. Many problem solving tasks on daily basis. Providing excellent customer service.
Pros
Discounted cakes
Cons
High turnover of staff
deal with regulars everyday
Waiting/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Southend1 November 2017
Really good place to work at, enjoyed whilst i was there.
can get really busy sometimes, but managers always there to help you.
everybody gets a long with each other, we worked as a team.
you get to try the cake slices sometimes, which they are delicious.
Organisation
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire30 October 2017
The overall atmosphere of the workplace was a good place to be working however when it came to the correct training of staff I found it insufficient. This is due to lack of training, for example when I was asked to prepare coffees for customers I was unsure on my job role as I did not have any training prior to this. Because of this I was unable to complete the tasks set to the best of my ability.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lack of support from management
Productive and fun workplace.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  West Thurrock and South Stifford30 October 2017
Lovely place to work and great people to work with. Unfortunately retail doesn't pay very well.
A typical day at work will involve setting up of the restaurent, serving the general public, completing all paperwork, maintaining a clean and tidy restaurant, dealing with all enquires with customers, deliveries and/or head office.
Direct manager is lovely to work for. Very fair but also firm.
The hardest part of the job can be dealing with complaints but I always handle this is a professional manner and generally the customer will always walk away happy and will always return.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Salary
Rubbish
Chef (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire22 October 2017
Worked here for 6 months and I would not recommend to anyone, manager did nothing about bad situations and let other members of staff get away with anything. Never given a contract to sign and was never given a fire safety tour of the whole building I work in, all the staff in there just messed about whilst customers were waiting. Great service
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Manager did nothing to solve things
Hard work
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne5 October 2017
Very busy coffee shop, I've been very lucky with the training cos the managers in charge when I started taught me everything I needed to face my new position
Funworkplace
Barista/Waitress, FOH. (Former Employee) –  London5 October 2017
We always have to work as team as our shop in the station, so all the time busy, we should delive good and quik service. Deal with any enquiries, keep the shop very clean.
Pros
Free lunch
Productive and enjoyable workplace
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire21 September 2017
Throughout my experience working in Patisserie Valerie I had a very enjoyable time. The staff members I worked with were chatty and supportive and at no time made you feel like you were doing something you didn't want to. Although at rush hours it became fairly busy overall it was a great place to work.
fun work place
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester18 September 2017
i enjoyed working as part of a team in a busy restaurant. there plenty of opportunity for development.. the only reason i left is due to moving. i would recommend to anybody looking for waitress work.
It's a nice workplace but you need to be very quick
Chef (Current Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea26 August 2017
a typical day at work:
- organizing stock in accordance with rotation and shelf life, appropriate and safe storage, freshness, etc.
- ensuring all kitchen and work area remain clean and tidy
- Preparing, cooking and presenting food dishes
- washing-up

the hardest part of the job is you need to do more things at the same time even if you don't have enough time
Pros
free lunch
Efficency
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Euston Station6 August 2017
Working at patisserie valerie is very nice. .I learned how to deal with customers service. To manager 3or4 staffs. .They have problem to keep staff and the environment is adequate for staff.customer and visitor.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Low salary
Fun and positive
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire10 July 2017
Working for Patisserie Valerie is fun and exciting, you learn new things every shift as things get improved and reorganised. Even when a new team started, it was still good as we all got along well and worked as a team to help each other out.
Pros
work environment is safe
Cons
less hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patisserie Valerie. Our community is ready to answer.