Paperchase Employee Reviews

Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London8 October 2017
Having worked for the company last year best parts are the customers, products sold by the company, skills learnt such as admin, audit, training and visual merchandising.
Poor decisions made by head office such as late promotions which end up meaning you stay late, work through lunch.
Supervisors pay rate is low and could do with increasing to support retention and development.
The salary is much lower in comparison to other competitors, long working hours, tasking is very heavy and even though there is a focus to be more service focused this very hard to do given the lack of payroll hours to spend.
Older stores need updating and modernising i.e. Back of house. Training is you that needs to better esp for staff and managers as you are given some then pretty much left to yourself to push it.
Pros
50 discount
managed well
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon6 October 2017
I felt like it was a good work environment however it was obviously not the right environment for a sport person like myself. also I was only working 4 hours a week which resulted only in £100 a week.
Pros
discount
Cons
short hours
Alright job, neither bad nor great.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire17 August 2017
Working for paperchase was interesting, I did all kinds of jobs there, but none of them were hard or anything, the warehouse is quite chill and fun to work at.
Pros
10 minute break if temperature in warehouse gets too high.
Cons
Dusty, dirty items.
Fast Paced and enjoyable
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire10 July 2017
Retail is always interesting. And now I am In a position where I can lead, which I believe is what I am strong at, it is more enjoyable. I enjoy delivery days as that is when I am the most busiest and it is always good to see the new stock. Engaging with the customers is always good as you learn about the individuals and when they come in again it is always smiles. I'm lucky enough to have worked my way up quickly, and I have taken the opportunities which has been in front of me.
Pros
Staff Discout, Great atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, sometimes 6 day or 7 day week.
Fast moving & fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 July 2017
Amazing workplace, organised and well managed with every team member aware of what was going on and what needed to be done. Everybody worked together well and cooperated.
A fun set of colleagues
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester6 July 2017
A normal shift is 10-7 the people i work with are fun and make the hours there more enjoyable. however they do not include full time contracts so they have a bank of people wanting over time when or as they need them
Best workplace ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton5 July 2017
Amazing people to work with! Amazing managers, apart from two. Everyone is amazing, and the job was so pleasant. Fast pace workflow, a lot of chatting with clients which was quite hard at first, but then you get used to it.
Potentially rewarding job made difficult due to unnecessary paperwork and little appreciation for a job well done
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  UK27 June 2017
Job is not difficult, and actually quite pleasant. But with the never ending stream of paperwork, auditing, printing and analysing reports, it's more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be. Stores would be a lot more profitable if processes were simplified. Felt like I had to train myself after the initial 2 weeks of training, which you don't really have time to do. Had to work numerous 6 day work weeks to complete reports that were either asked for last minute or didn't have office to complete due to the workload on the sales floor. If stores were funded a few more hours, it would take some of the pressure and workload off of management.
Pros
Nicely designed products, Good working hours. Able to dress comfortably for work
Cons
Excessive paperwork, no comradery within the leadership team, no praise for great performance
A good company to work for!
Retail Assistant & Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  London27 June 2017
I've been in the company for a number of years and it is a good company to work for. The flexible working hours are great if you are a student and there is always over time available if you want it. The products are great fun and are always changing and keeping up with trends.
Pros
Good holiday allowance and great staff discount
Cons
Hourly pay isn't good
Very friendly environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor15 June 2017
Very enjoyable place to work. All the stuff are dedicated and reliable to working hard but are also very friendly and pleasant. The company is very colourful and focused on delivering exceptional products. Even though it can be a little expensive, customers are always happy to spend a but more for the fantastic guaranteed service.
Pros
Always a positive environment
Cons
In my opinion, there isnt any
Amazing Company
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool City Centre, Merseyside31 May 2017
At Paperchase a typical day is spent cleaning the shop floor, welcoming customers and replenishing stock.

As a Senior Sales Assistant, you are essentially manager when the managers aren't in, meaning you will also need to cash-up, rotate stock, keep paperwork signed and up to audit standard, manage customer complaints and product loss etc.

Each individual is encouraged to be themselves and bringing your personality into interactions. It's easy to make friends with work colleagues and have fun at work whilst still providing help to customers.

You will push the stock through knowledge and sales technique.

Your store manager should often be on the shop floor directing you and keeping you informed of new rules and ranges due to come in. You will be recognized for your hard work in the company newsletter when a customer mentions your great customer service.

Warning: A love of the stationery CAN mean spending most of your wages in store.
Pros
Discount in store, emergency funds for funeral care etc.
Cons
Fluctuating hours
Great experience for my first retail job.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol21 May 2017
For my first retail job this was a great introduction. All management and staff were kind, friendly and more than helpful. Sometimes the hours felt very long, and over Christmas it was very fast paced, but it was still very enjoyable and I really felt like part of a functional team.
Pros
Excellent Management Team
Cons
Minimum Wage
Easy going work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol9 May 2017
I was required to work till or replenish stock. I learned how to deal with a consistently busy shop floor and working under pressure.A con would be that although expected, the shop floor was always busy and didn't have much time to stop.
The most enjoyable part was the staff, they were easy going and made the work day go quicker.
Pros
Cons
Temporary
Pleasent Working environment when right management are in place.
Managing Staff (Former Employee) –  Woking/Guildford4 May 2017
After being let go from a previous job I was happy to be given a position at Paperchase as a Supervisor, It was challenging in the beginning as the manager wasn't the best I could have asked for and it took longer than I would have liked to pass my probation as she didn't provide the support I needed to be my best in the role. I was moved from the Guildford store to the Woking store where I had a lovely manager who really cared about the progression I was making and passed my probation, she found a new role and was replaced by another manager was also good. Unfortunately due to lack of hours and being on a contract I had to leave.
Pros
50% discount, Friendly staff
Cons
Travelling costs and some of the management I encountered.
Fun, expressive place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London24 April 2017
The branch I worked in was specifically fantastic - the people were lovely and we had an amazing work family. It was balanced and fun most of the time!
Pros
50% employee discount
Cons
late nights
you're more a slave than sale assistant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside7 April 2017
supervisors and managers are not shy to just sit and make you do everything without recieving the proper training first. it's easy to swap shifts and stuff like that but other than that it's a nightmare
Pros
easy to swap shifts
Cons
no over time, awful management
Christmas Temp
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 April 2017
Paperchase was a nice place to work, did a christmas period there. Everyone was nice, hours were fine and pay was good for my age. It got very busy but it was manageable.
Amazing and supportive
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester2 April 2017
Great place to work for and amazing training as well as support. Each day is exciting and you learn all aspects of the business. Opportunities to grow in your career.
Pros
Great Discount
Cons
Fun and quirky place to work
Sales Assistant / supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent30 March 2017
Working at paper chase is a fun experience, there is always something different to do whether it's merchandising all of the quirky stock that we sell to having a chat and a laugh with customers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unsociable hours
Professional,
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 March 2017
I enjoyed working in a fast paced environment where I was able to exercise my ability to manage a high volume of requests while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
Pros
Team work
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paperchase. Our community is ready to answer.