Odeon Employee Reviews

Awful, awful, awful!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire20 November 2017
Do not but into the Odeon name! You are treated very poorly as an employee. The Senior management are cold and cut throat. You are expected at cinema level to deliver unrealistic targets and run around doing 5 people's work. If your in with the managers then your fine, otherwise forget it. Hours are unsocialable, wages are pathetic, training is so bad, your expected to just know how to do things. Lots of groups and division within Odeon Huddersfield team. Bullying and discrimination takes place. GM didn't have a clue about how to actually run the cinema. Horrible experience stay away!
Pros
Free films
Cons
Everything else
Not enjoyable
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Epsom14 November 2017
It used to be very fun and enjoyable yet stressful through busy periods. Now it's all sales target oriented with 0 form of enjoyment.

There is a lack of appreciation shown from management.

Employment rotation is ridiculous and progression is lack lustre
Flexible timetable
Part-time working for ODEON (Former Employee) –  London10 November 2017
I had the opportunity to work as part-time and study for my Bachelor and Masters degree at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I could interact with many people with different backgrounds and assist them.
Costa
Barista/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire7 November 2017
Worked as a Barista and supervisor in costa, it was good for the most part but both roles were under appreciated for the amount of work. The management was good while a barista but as a supervisor it was very difficult, I believe this is why there is such a high staff turnover.
Pros
Free cinema
Excellent starter management job
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire12 October 2017
excellent feedback and support and materials. Really helpful hours are what you'd expect. Great support. Really open friendly environment. Really great place to work.
Enjoyable work environment
Guest experience supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull7 August 2017
Good place to work, supportive managers. Good salary.
The team are friendly and work together well, they are all aware of the companies objectives and take pride in what they do.
Not worth it
Cinema Host (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands19 June 2017
What I learned was it was like being back at school yet the children were in their late 20s and early 30s.

It was enjoyable to begin with but after I was there for a couple of months, that all started to change. I got told that I was terrible at my job and people didn't want to work with me and I could have been pulled up for many things but I didn't. The workplace culture was not entirely the best to say the least.

Quite a bit of pack mentality even with the managers. I also got told that you cant trust anything that comes out of anyone's mouth there by someone who liked to belittle their staff for a personal gain.

By the end of it I just didn't want to go back to work. I had several breakdowns because I knew I had to go in every week and be told I wasn't good enough not by cinema hosts like me but by managers.

If you work at the Odeon you will need to be a mentally strong person even though you cant speak you're own mind.

Good luck to new staff in the future, because if you has anything of an experience like i did... you're going to need it.
Pros
discount on food and drink
Cons
rude staff and managers
Decent when hours are available
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire18 June 2017
Been working here about 10 months now - as retail goes it's enjoyable and quite relaxed. (although it can get extremely manic during school breaks or just after certain films come out)
Co-workers definitely make the job better as the majority are easy to get along with and the environment makes it quite easy to build relationships with people.

However management is incompetent at least at the Telford branch. There is little communication between them so you will be told one thing by one only to be told something entirely different by another. Also many managers have a "If you don't like it, leave" response to any complaints.
During non-peak times hours can be abysmal and barely better than a zero-hour contract. We are told this is due to head office not giving the branch enough money to pay the staff for longer weeks, which is made worse by the fact that there will always be at least two managers on - Who get paid considerably more than a regular cinema host. There is also a strong blame culture within management, and often all staff are punished for the actions of a few employees.

It can be frustrating but at the same time there are plenty of worse places to work. Would genuinely rate 3.5 stars if it were an option.
Pros
Free Cinema Tickets, Good Staff Discount, Free Taxis after Half Ten, Good Co-Workers
Cons
Bad Management, Low Hours
Nice place to work
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London14 June 2017
Friendly, and pleasant place to work, with a good team. Typical shift would involve a mixture of retail, and ushering, as well as ensuring that there is enough stock to accommodate guests.
Pros
Free tickets at all Odeon cinemas
Good benefits, bad management
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire13 June 2017
The job involves serving guests, restocking the retail area and cleaning screens after people leave.
The management team vary in their likeability and competence. Some of them are very reasonable in what they expect from the staff and are consequently relatively well-liked. Others are quite demanding and unreasonable and unwilling to do the jobs which are just expected of their staff and so are therefore, not liked by the staff at all. There are also other management who don't particularly care about the rules and so are probably the most well-liked as the allow people to get away with things they shouldn't.
The rest of the staff and easy to get along with and friendly (for the most part).
The hardest part of the job is fitting in a social life around as at lot of shifts are night/evening shifts, it is not very well paid, and the shift rota is only given out on a Tuesday (sometimes Wednesday) for that Friday so making plans is difficult.
The best part about the job is the benefits which includes 40% off food and drinks, unlimited free tickets for yourself, and 12 free tickets for friends every 3 months.
Pros
Good employee benefits, friendly staff
Cons
Late rota releases, unreasonable management
Fun place for those not looking for permanent role.
Team member (Former Employee) –  London10 June 2017
Great seasonal job, however the pay wasn't great. A lot of aimless wandering as it gets quite boring. Management was always on our backs. Other staff were great and made the job enjoyable.
fun work place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London7 June 2017
I enjoyed my time working at odeon as I had a lot of fun. The mangers were very caring and looked after the staff well. The whole team members were very caring and friendly too.
Great Team, Flexible Hours
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff17 May 2017
Best job for students, but you can't live on it, especially recently. Most shifts will be evening/nighttime shifts, seeing as it is the entertainment industry.
Pros
Colleagues, flexible hours.
Cons
very unstable job, no steady hours, management requirements irrational, cutting of hours
great place to work at
TICKET USER (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London11 April 2017
If you love movies and also to work within a team , i would reccomend working at a odeon cinemas . The perks are really good plus you can learn more about the company
Pros
free tickets
Cons
long hrs
Amazing company
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, Scotland9 April 2017
Odeon is a great company to work for, with a welcoming environment and great opportunities for growth its a great place to work. A typical day would include replenishing stock, stock take and rotation, serving customers, and cleaning screens, the most challenging part of the day is standing for such long hours but the enjoyable part is all the free movies and great co workers.
Pros
free movie tickets
Cons
standing for long hours
fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire18 March 2017
Was a fun environment to work in but the management team has recently changed so i am now looking for a new challenge away from the cinema industry. overall was a good experience.
Exciting & fun environment to work in
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Norwich15 March 2017
A typical day at work is never boring. Everyone is great fun and even the people we get the pleasure of serving are more often than not, great fun themselves.
I started out with only customer service skills due to previous jobs, but now I'm almost a fully trained barista through Costa, which I can say is now my favorite part of the job because it is never the same and its even more engaging whens its very busy. I am now on the way to being fully bar trained which is very different yet very hard. None the less I still enjoy it.
I can honestly say there isn't a hardest part to the job. It simply gets very stressful when harder parts of the job such as Gallery gets busy/sold out.
Without a doubt some of the people in which I get to work with, when the day gets busy and stressful, my colleagues are always there to help and always have a laugh. Not only this, being an avid film goer, the free films in which we are given is the best part of the role.
Pros
Free Films
Cons
Inconsistent Hours
Enjoyable work.
Odeon Cinemas (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames8 March 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was the guests, being able to make them smile whilst selling them food and drink was really lovely.
Sadly the management is very poor at this work. They do the right job but some of them are lazy and slack with certain things, for example creating me a pay slip account took them so long that they never even got round to it, so I was unable to view them and I still am not, I am chasing them up on it so I can get to see them.
Pros
great discount
Cons
bad managment
Long Hours Best Staff
Cinema Host (Former Employee) –  ODEON Epsom7 March 2017
If you want to be a cleaner and have a lot of hours then this job is perfect for you. The staff were amazing and the perks were good too however long hours and be prepared to work a lot of overtime
Pros
40% off food and free films
Cons
long hours, a lot of cleaning involved
got the job
Cinema Host (Current Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey20 February 2017
go in see if your working on retail or screens either cleaning screens dealing with customer quearys or working on tills selling tickets and other stuff
Pros
free tickets
Cons
not enough hours not good enough pay