Nottinghamshire County Council Employee Reviews

Supply cleaner
Supply Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bircotes school11 October 2017
Job was very enjoyable due to travelling to different places and meeting different people. I learned all types of cleaning and to be polite and sociable to everyone i met and I was greeted with the upmost respect from the management who helped me if I ever had an issue.
Pros
sociability and meeting all kinds of people
Cons
Early starts to the day and late finishes
Great comapny to work for; people focused
Full Time Youth Work Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire County Council11 October 2017
Working for NCC Young Peoples Services were the best years of my career. Diverse, inclusive, people focused and rewarding. No two days were the same. Vast amount of knowledge and training gained, investment in staff development second to none. Workplace culture was the best; made to feel like part of the big picture, we were a well oiled machine, respected. Teamworking a dream. Engaging and enjoyable. Management were positive and really supportive. Company strove to get the best from you and invested in you as a person, not as a number or name on a badge. A job/career is what you make it.
Pros
Team work, respect, investing in people
Cons
Working evenings haha!
Enjoyable and a pleasure to work for.
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham15 September 2017
I worked through an agency for NCC and have to say I enjoyed every bit of my time there.

Management were spot on and fellow workmates were a laugh and easy to get on with.

Workplace culture.Well what can I say its council.
Pros
Banter, varied and enjoyable
care home
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire15 September 2017
to ensure a high standard of food preparation was maintained and that stocks were replenished. To maintain a high standard of cleanliness around the food preparation area
Pros
shift pattern
Cons
the managemant
An evolving context for the new education provision
Place Planning & Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  West Bridgford4 September 2017
It is clear that the senior leadership of this Local Authority are working very hard to develop a clear and forward-looking way of leading the County in the context of the new national educational vision for the country/county.
There are some very dynamic and energetic staff, looking to move thinking from a traditional to a new perspective.
Pros
Excellent facilities
Cons
Needs mor clarity on tasks
enjoy working with teachers and kids
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Retford, Nottinghamshire29 August 2017
Cleaning and preparing the school for that day.
The use of different chemicals for cleaning.
The management are easy to approach and not on your back all day long.
The workplace culture is relaxed everyone helps each other.
Hardest part is not enough time to always get everything done.
When it is someone's birthday we have a little party.
Pros
People i work with.
Cons
Long gap of 7 1/2 hours between jobs.
Education Sector - Changeable but overall very rewarding
School Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 August 2017
No 2 days were ever the same and working with children was rewarding and enjoyable. I worked for many management teams over 22 years, some were excellent, others mediocre whilst some were terrible which ultimately led to me leaving the profession.

The hardest part of the job was responding to the many changes implemented by successive governments. The most enjoyable was interacting with people from all walks of life, developing my key skills and knowledge and the privilege of working in an environment which changed people's lives.
Pros
13 weeks holiday (well-earned)
Cons
Work/life balance during term-time
Good public sector benefits
Civil Servant (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire18 August 2017
Good benefits still in public sector. Flex I time is very useful if you have a family. Salaries are still competitive. Good holiday entitlement. Varied job.
Good
Mobile caretaker (Current Employee) –  Broxtowe area25 July 2017
Excellent company great standards highly efficient management great company benefits and pension scheme Nottinghamshire county council are overall a pleasure to work for
Loved it.
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Southwell13 July 2017
I volunteered for NCC's 11th session in Southwell for almost 18 months until it closed, I loved it there and would recommend it to anyone who comes across a similar opportunity
Productive and challenging
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire13 July 2017
Productive company that pushes you to your best.
It can be challenging to get the things you need to done but you have to push through it all.
Hardest part of the job is when the teachers couldn't care less sometimes and leave the place in an absolute state which then sets your work load back as you have a certain amount of time in certain areas.
The people I work with are wonderful , they push you to to do your absolute best in everything you do the benefits of the job is you don't work silly hours in the school holidays
Pros
The people I get to work with
Cons
Don't have any
Midday Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire3 July 2017
Easy going place to work and great people which always helps. They are very helpful and always happy to answer any questions you may have. They're also flexible too.
Pros
Get to see my children
Fun Workplace
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire27 June 2017
enjoyed the experience and learned a lot of new person and working skills towards my qualification. the staff were very friendly and helped me out when i needed them.
Pros
relaxed environment working conditions
Cons
Long Summer hours
Good employer with good working practice
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ash lea specail school cotgrave.12 June 2017
A very good employment with good benefits. All training was free and up to date.
Good local area jobs available with a reasonable pension.
I would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Below average pay.
Demands from government increasing
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nottingham6 May 2017
As the expectations of children's performance increases so does the workload for teachers.
Most enjoyable part of the job is when you see you have made a positive difference to a child's life.
Hardest part of the job, inflicting unnecessary stress on children as young as 6 years old and thinking about work 24/7.
Lovely place to work
Care assistant (Current Employee) –  Sutton-in-Craven, North Yorkshire21 April 2017
Lovely place to work worked there for many years now we are all about interpreting living for people with disabilities we work has a team 24.7 giving the people we care for help care cooking cleaning and interpreters
Pros
Good wage
Cons
A public service organisation facing considerable challenges
Officer (Former Employee) –  Various6 April 2017
County Councils are conscientious employers and I found my time with Nottinghamshire gave me ample opportunities for training and learning in a supportive environment. There are some frustrations to working in public service, for example, often a heavy burden of form filling to get jobs done. But Councils are answerable to the public so care has to be taken to do things correctly and to high standards of probity. Nottinghamshire County Council pays the Living Wage not the minimum wage and on leaving I was actually quite shocked to find the rates of pay which are regarded as normal for front liners at entry level in other organisations. It is a great shame that Government Austerity has made public service rather a game of musical chairs - always wondering where the next round of cuts will have to be made and the next posts deleted.
In the past Councils offered stable employment to a large number of people who were thus able to buy houses, bring up families and retire on a reasonable pension. That is changing. But for anyone who genuinely enjoys helping the public, it is a rewarding and fulfilling workplace experience.
Pros
Good training opportunities
Cons
The public have a negative impression of councils.
Excellent place to work
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham31 March 2017
I engaged with various teams who were welcoming to tap into the skills that I could bring to the organisation.

The best thing was that the job I was employed for was so varied
Pros
Good People
Cons
Slow pace for someone coming from Private sector
excellent place of work
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Ollerton, Nottinghamshire22 March 2017
Friendly workplace, management who respect your opinion. I have took on board all I have been taught. No day is ever the same which is great, the communication amongst the team is excellent and I cant find fault with this workplace
repeatative work
Midday Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire21 March 2017
working as a midday supervisor was alright as a starting point for myself being in collage, it did sometimes interfere with my studies but soon caught up, the job itself was a trying one with teenagers who like to push buttons and see what is happens, keep children in an orderly line and make sure there was no problems on school grounds.