Northgate Public Services Employee Reviews

Quite liked it
Apprentice Knowledge Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham14 December 2017
The work environment was great. The people are all friendly. Nothing bad to say about here at all. If the opportunity arose, i would definitely apply here again.
Terrible
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead6 December 2017
terrible management, Work politics, no pay rise, lack of communication. No Job incentives, Lack of motivation. Management do not set a good example. No real relationships formed outside of work
Great employer offering flexible working
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham18 October 2017
Lots of recent changes have really made a big difference to the companies direction of travel.

Open and honest communication from the top which makes every level feel included and responsible for success.

Northgate is winning lots of new contracts and retaining current contracts which makes it a really great place to work.

I have been here 10 over years now and I have have felt really supported during that time.

Northgate supported me by offering home and flexible working when I had my child and that was really important as I feel I have a great work-life balance.
Pros
Engagement from the top and flexibility
Cons
None!
A good company going through significant change
Services Director (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire26 July 2017
Recent challenges to the business have resulted in a change in senior management and significant change within the business. The Services division has been closed and the remaining services moved into the business lines or into the central IT function.
Northgate shambes
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire13 May 2017
NORTHGATE take over public services cut staff to bone , decimate the service - put in automation that is totally ineffective
Manipulate targets and service delivery and invest nothing in staff training
The salary is appalling and they employ apprentices at minimum or apprenticeship wage without giving them the training promised
Customer service is a busy job that requires proper training and knowledge but this just does not happen
Apprentices are used and exploited as cheap labour - staff turnover is high and morale low
AVOID AVOID AVOID
Pros
Cons
Low pay zero training
Productive & Fun Work Place
Revenue & Benefits Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham10 May 2017
Great company to work for.. Friendly and helpful staff..
Very approachable and easy to get along with.

My work day included inbound calls from a council tax payers wanting to discuss there account(s)

The work place was great, made some amazing friends.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No Paid Breaks/Lunches
Not prepared to review
Programme and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Home office based5 April 2017
Not Prepared to review but enjoy the Homeworking aspect. Needs investment in internal system. Management needs a review abd processes need to be more effective.
Absolutely Horrible
Eligibilities Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool27 March 2017
No enthusiasm at all. The team was really friendly but personally I think it is the management that has let everyone down. The job is extremely repetitive and the main role is telephone based but the manager won't even let you take a 2 minute break from the phones.
Pros
Getting paid whilst on the toilet
Cons
Barely any time for lunch or break.
Going through a lot of change currently
Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom7 March 2017
Lots and lots of change with the new CEO in place since the end of last year. Management and culture needed a drastic overhaul. Will probably be a good place to work in a few months once changes are complete.
Awful place to work
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool, Durham27 February 2017
I have to echo the other comments on here, this place is so unprofessional and if you aren't in the managers clique, you aren't going any where.

No pay rise to match cost of living in last 4 years, no bonus in last two. No chance of promotion, so unless your dream job is answering phone calls and emails, being spoke to like dirt from customers and managers or being lied to, then this probably won't be the job for you.

I have been in full time employment for 18 years and have worked in various places of work and nothing has been this bad. The staff are so demotivated and for good reason, no one listens to them. People try to raise issues in staff forums and are just shot down as management don't agree there's a problem.

I honestly wish I never took this job, as nothing they spoke about in the interview happens.

Dead end job, no prospects, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere
Pros
None, you won't even get free parking anymore
Cons
Literally everything
Worst job ever
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool22 February 2017
I currently work here, and wouldn't reccomend this company to anyone, the management have there cliques and if you don't fit then your life is made miserable being given the most mundane tasks or being left on the phones with 2 advisors with 10 calls in the que one after the other whilst the cliques sit comfortably in admin. The working hours are good, but it's about the only good thing they can offer. Apprenticeships are promised opportunities of advancement, however there isn't really any opportunities as my own manager pointed out there is only a budget to replace apprenticeships with apprentices upon completion as they haven't budgeted to offer full time Jobs upon completion, after being told at interview that they would take people on upon completion of the apprenticeship.
Very disappointed with this company and wish I'd paid more attention to previous reviews left. All the apprentices in my department can't wait to move on and have actively been looking for alternative employment. They don't wish to train apprentices to advance them, only to utilise them for the tasks permanent staff don't wish to do themselves.

I've had quite a few jobs prior to this and have never been dissatisfied in the way I have here, I hope they start to pay attention to the reviews and treat apprentices less like slave labour and more like the future of their company.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
The attitude of the company, the fact that they use apprenticeships as cheap labour.
Friendly place to work
Business Finance Support - Local Welfare Provision (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool11 January 2017
All the staff are very friendly, however bit of variation between managers professionalism.
Depending on the service area progression can be if your face fits and who you know rather than what your actual skills are.
Pros
Decent pay / benefits
Cons
Lack of job security
Educational
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead10 October 2016
Customer Service Representative, contact centre within Dacorum Borough Council.

Responsibilities: Answering calls, dealing with Council related customer enquiries.
Pros
Working in public services
Ridiculous place to work
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool14 September 2016
Managers are in a massive 'clique'

Jobs are given without interviews- it's who you know in here.
Staff morale in our department was extremely low - constantly promised us they would build up the teams spirit etc but it was never done.

Co workers lovely but demotivated. Generally we come into work supporting every other department but our own with no real explanation of this - constantly kept in the dark and lied to.

Use MA's for slave labour then get rid of them when the time is right.

Unprofessional management team!

Most staff are so unhappy and nobody cares.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Too many
Most unprofessional work place I have ever experienced
Council TaX Assessor (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool27 August 2016
Terrible place to work absolutely NO job security. Extremely badly managed. Poor training and very high turnover. There was people getting finished every other day as only take on temporary staff.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
No job security
Unprofessional and judgemental place to work
Benefits Assessor (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool3 February 2016
Awful environment. Unhelpful and undermining colleagues and management. Unprofessional and judgemental attitude to client group. High staff turnover due to culture of company.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Unprofessional
No moral amongst staff. Would not recommend!
Housing benefit Officer (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool, ENG16 January 2016
Sat about for one months as no job was available for me
No organisation amongst managers
No training or guidance provided by management provided only got through my working day by asking other colleagues for advice
Co workers helpful but they all seemed demotivated
Many temp staff walked out of role saying they had never been treated so disrespectful in the work place having worked in temp companies all their lives
Managers disrespected staff by talking about them behind their backs
Unprofessional management team and work place
Management vacancies were filled by spouses or friends (not what you know but who you know) which to me is very unprofessional and not how a business should be run
Every minute of your day is accounted for, log on times and even toilet breaks
Not an enjoyable company to work for
Pros
Bottle of wine at xmas
Cons
Horrible working environment
A Great learning Curve
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG10 October 2015
Working life at Northgate PS was busy and demanding at times.

I learnt so many new skills which can only catapult my career forward.

The management of NPS was generally good which allowed me to advance through the company.

My colleagues were fantastic to work with and gave me a great environment to excel in.

The toughest part of my Job was learning my colleagues strengths and weaknesses as staff were regularly in and out the door as they worked with a recruitment agency.

The most enjoyable part of job was the satisfaction of completing a contract that I had worked extremely hard in to accomplish the customers needs.
Pros
Advancement within the company
Cons
Lack of Job security as a Temp worker
Great company to work with
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Chancery Exchange, London6 October 2015
Only been with NPS a short while but they are a good company to work with; with innovative and fresh ideas.
Work closely with my customer on site.
Have learnt new processes within NPS and how differently their management team and my co-workers approach the delivery.

Hardest part of the job is meeting all the requests.
Most enjoyable is achieving delivery.
Good salary & benifits
Desktop Support & VMware Management (Current Employee) –  Wokingham, ENG12 March 2015
Managing call queue
Site visit nearly everyday
Working alongside network team
Involved in new hardware or software rollout
Training first time users using blackberry
Out of hours support