Northern Rail Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlands9 October 2017
Too busy trying to push on with installing their commited obligations, without having the right management structure in place, suppliers of new equipment in place and getting things rght from the word go and then forever playing catch up
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Very poor work/life balance
its a ok company to work for,job can be busy at times but normally steady
TPO (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire17 August 2017
Day is spent cleaning trains, helping customers if needed.
Learned how to deal with customers in different ways, not every customer is the same.
Management are ok, as long as you are doing what they say... but normally just get on with the job. Applying for jobs with northern rail is not as straight forward,, they put family members first, then move other permanent stuff into jobs that are advertised externally, so outside normal people have no chance of getting a job interview for a job.
The culture at northern rail, is there is a lot of miscommunication and sometimes, you will get the blame for things that are not even your fault.
The hardest part of the job is there are a lot of senior management reporting to other supervisors about the job you are doing, if they are not happy, instead of them coming straight to you to help you. Found that supervisors and management think they are above them selves.
Best part of the job is meetings all the different people on the trains and platforms, even if it is for a brief moment.
Pros
no real pros
Cons
hours are long but steady..
Great company to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Skipton, North Yorkshire15 August 2017
I was a team leader I had 6 staff under me my fit us was making sure cleaning was done to a night standard and on time ordering stock ordits and back to work review after sickness
Pros
Free travle
a good place to work.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Bradford, UK15 March 2017
i enjoyed working here, the other staff were friendly and we all worked well together,our job was to clean the trains throughout the night travelling to several different stations. we would all be assigned a particular job and we got it done and even helped one another to get their job done if they were a little behind so i learned that being a good team player was important during this job.
a train every hour
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Manchester1 March 2017
it was a good job as i worked with mates i went to high school with so that wasnt so bad. the only thing that was a bit of a let down is that you had a train every hour which got a bit boring after a while.
Pros
early finish
Cons
a train every hour to clean
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Manchester Piccadilly Station31 October 2016
I enjoyed my time on the railway. The work was challenging and yet every day was a different challenge. My colleagues were more like family than work mates
Fun environment
Cleaner Operative (Former Employee) –  Manchester28 October 2016
Members of staff were very friendly, we all helped one another and got along very well. During my time at Northern Rail I gained lots of friends who I often meet up with, it was located in my area area which made my time travelling easier.
Progressive TOC
Head of Trade Union Relations (Former Employee) –  York12 August 2016
Had a really enjoyable 25 year career in the industry. Many varied changes with the customer focus really coming to the fore post privatisation.The business now has new owners and will enjoy exciting times ahead.
Pros
exciting customer and employee centric
Cons
slow to change
Work day's vary everyday. Meet different people all the time.
Train Conductor/ Guard (Current Employee) –  Manchester27 July 2016
A day's work will be anything from 6 hours to 10 hours work. Also there is a morning and evening shifts. I have learnt all the safety aspects of the job as required with assessments every 6 months and a 2 yearly train rules and regulations tests. I have also undergone a full retail customer service course which is also ongoing throughout the 2 years with on and off train assessments. In my 12 years on the railway, I have had a numerous amount of managers. I have never really had any problems with any of them. My co-workers at Northern have been nothing more than pleasant to work with and plenty of characters with great advise if needed. The hardest part of the job would be passengers who you can not get to pay for there tickets for there journeys. The really good part of the job i have found is that everyday would not be the same, as generally working different trains lines for each day.
Pros
Long weekend's off every 4 weeks for 5 days
Cons
Minimum breaks on long 9 hour shifts
A challenging role of constant training/working but very enjoyable.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Leeds24 March 2016
Working various shifts that changed daily to suit train times I would prepare the train doing all manner of health and safety checks. Deal with the public, sell tickets, deal with admin and be responsible for the cash takings working full shifts entirely on my own initiative.
Pros
Free train travel, interesting challenge.
Cons
Very varied shift pattern.
A good place to work,but long unsocial hours.
Outstation Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG20 January 2016
A typical day would involve checking on employees at various locations,to make sure they had all they needed to carry out the work required for the units to make service on a daily basis.All safety requirements to be met,timekeeping strictly adhered to,any training requirements,sickness and welfare meetings carried out,documentation kept up to date,general well being and morale.
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Long unsociable hours
Northern
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG9 November 2015
Great benefits and final salary pension scheme. Flexible work life balance.

Progression to various areas in the business so driver/conductor/ticket office
T.P.O (Current Employee) –  Darlington, ENG16 August 2015
In a typical day i meet lots of different people and staff and to really enjoy my job everybody i work with there are like a big family it's a great company to work for.
Management are always there to listen to you and will help you as much as they can i have always found them to be great with me.
As a on-board cleaner the hardest part of my job is keeping your balance as the train is moving as your cleaning the most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the after affects when i have cleaned the train.
Pros
Great place to work with great prospect
Cons
shift work
Fun work place
gate line operater (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, ENG5 August 2015
cleaning the trains along with the team you work with is fun, everyone has a laugh and the job gets done quick. I learnt how to a good job
Pros
have a laugh
Cons
long shifts
Excellent
Revenue Protection Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester28 July 2015
A great employer to work for and a great team spirit. Supportive management however, roots were slow with only a few days notice.
Pros
Excellent employer
Cons
Uniform
fun workplace
train presentation opretive (Former Employee) –  ENG24 March 2015
the staff were all great to work with but management looked down on you for being a cleaner. meeting new people everyday was a good part of the job as well.
Pros
free travel
exciting and learning experience
Northern Rail Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG25 February 2015
a pleasure to work for a great company, you get to learn about different aspect of the railway you never knew existed. opportunities to progress further in the company are available.
Productive and good place to work
Area Station Manager (Current Employee) –  York, ENG18 January 2015
Speaking with staff and customers on day to day issues.
Very busy days within Management Grades.
Pros
Free Rail Travel and benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Invaluable experience
Estates Management Team Organiser (Current Employee) –  York, ENG28 July 2014
My day is incredibly varied. Alongside routine scheduled tasks, ad-hoc work makes up at least half the job as the need to react to and resolve issues that may arise in projects is paramount so I have to be flexible, adaptable and be able to prioritise my workload accordingly.
I work with a great team where communication has always been excellent with everyone working collaboratively to achieve goals.
I have learned to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where I have had to very much hit the ground running. This has honed my abilities to prioritise and adapt to situations as they arise in an ever-expanding remit and has developed my ability to forge good working relationships with colleagues even further, communicating and liaising with colleagues at all levels, from construction contractors to directors often on a daily basis.
I have had to teach myself certain aspects of the job as I have gone as the learning curve has been steep yet I enjoyed the challenge this presented and have risen to it.
I have enjoyed the challenge and the feeling of achievement I have gotten from teaching myself new skills and feel I have learned a great deal from the experience.
great work place
Train cleaner (Former Employee) –  back of station26 March 2014
i worked there before and would love to go back as its a nice and friendly place to work at