NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Cleaner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Northallerton23 October 2017
Cleaning offices in a council.
Enjoyable working environment
Management very nice and understanding
Relaxed job environment, easy to co operate and workload never too much for individual person
Progressive and open- minded organisation
Family Intervention Worker (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire18 July 2017
I worked within Children's Social Care and found NYCC more progressive and open to new ideas than previous organisations I had worked for. Effective managers (on the whole) and a reasonable HR system plus great opportunities for CPD- courses etc.
22 August 2017

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of your experience of working for NYCC as a Family Intervention Worker.

As an employer we see ourselves as a progressive, forward-thinking organisation and we do this through annual staff surveys and innovation awards to share best practice across the council.

Within children’s services we are committed to creating a healthy culture so that staff feel that they have a forum to share their views about us as an organisation and the environment in which they work. We pride ourselves in promoting staff development and we offer training opportunities through salary sacrifice schemes to develop professional practice.

Management corrupt
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire11 July 2017
Don't bother working here unless you are related to management. Any private information gets discussed and wages are always wrong. Your expected to do a shift then a sleep in then another shift.
Pros
Ok money
Cons
Too long to list
18 July 2017

Hello, thank you for your review. We’re really sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. We place great value in our care service and the amazing support our employees provide to the residents of North Yorkshire.

We would very much like to understand the issues you experienced and would be grateful if you could contact us on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk with a suitable contact number so that a member of our team can give you a call to discuss.

enjoyable place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire12 June 2017
I enjoyed working for the council. I worked with a great team to support children within their education. I was offered training opportunities which were of benefit to me.
Pros
Great Team
4 July 2017

Thank you for your review about your experience working for NYCC as a Teaching Assistant. We’re very proud of the impact our school staff have on so many of our young people. It’s also great to hear that you were given training opportunities to aid your personal development which you found beneficial.

The Resourcing Solutions Team is keen to hear from staff in schools to give us an insight the work that you do. If you are willing please do email resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk with a case study of your experience working in an NYCC school and we look forward to hearing from you.

Excellent
General Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eppleby, North Yorkshire18 May 2017
Great place to work, very good training opportunities and they do very thorough checks for the people which they employ. Would advise anyone to work for them!!!
4 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience as a Teaching Assistant. It is really encouraging to hear that you think it’s a great place to work and that you have access to training opportunities for your own career development.

Recently NYCC organised the Teaching Awards for secondary schools across the county. We wanted to celebrate outstanding teaching practice and support from our school staff, and there were plenty of worthy winners and nominees who had amazing contributions to their school!

The Resourcing Solutions Team would like to hear from you so that we can use your views to promote your positive thoughts about working for us in a school by emailing resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Poor pay, no training, poor management
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Swale12 May 2017
Employees who have been there for years can be closed to improved methods and new people coming into their empire. Team leaders don't listen to new people and new ideas. Bullying is dismissed with nowhere to turn. People are aware but nobody is brave enough to do anything. Threatening to leave causes no reaction. Wake up NYCC - in the future you just won't be able to recruit.
Pros
Most staff are friendly
Cons
Nowhere to eat lunch except at desk, poor management
18 July 2017

Hello, thank you for your review. We’re really sorry to hear you that you haven’t had a more positive experience working for NYCC. We see ourselves as a forward thinking and innovative organisation and we value hearing about new ideas to improve ways of working from all staff members. It is a shame that you feel you haven’t had the opportunity to contribute in this way. Each year we open a ‘Voice your Views’ staff survey where you have the opportunity to give your opinion on your experience of working for us. All the feedback is reviewed and used to make improvements across each service area.

It would be great to have an opportunity to fully look into the issues that you have raised. If you could please contact us on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk so we can discuss this further.

Workplace not to recommend
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Malton8 May 2017
- Very poor holiday entitlement
- Bad sick pay policy and unclear work policies
- Overwhelming workload
- Inexperienced management
- Benefits that nobody use, as they are insignificant
- extra hours that are easy to loose as you are entitled only to have 12 days f extra hours over the year and I lost around 20 days.
Cons
Long hours, bad sick pay policy, insignificant benefits, bad car lease scheme, not much holidays entitlement, no bun out scheme
19 May 2017

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry to hear that you would not recommend North Yorkshire County Council as a place to work. We welcome feedback from our employees so that we can review and improve the range of benefits we offer and ensure that they remain relevant.

We currently offer all employees a minimum of 23 days annual leave per year which increases with continuous service. In addition in some services employees who work above their contracted hours to fulfil their role can take up to 12 days flexitime per year. We are currently in the process of opening up our flexible working practises so that services can design their own requirements around flexible working. If there are situations where this isn’t working well we would encourage individuals to have a chat with their manager so that a solution can be found.

We value the health and wellbeing of our employees and we provide free access to an Employee Assistance Programme provided by Health Assured Employees. In addition employees are supported by a generous sickness scheme if they are too ill to work.

In addition our Everybody Benefits platform offers a host of employee discounts on a wide range of products and services. Your feedback on the range of benefits we currently offer and suggestions for additions would be welcomed by our Pay and Reward Team and we encourage you to contact them on payandreward@northyorks.gov.uk.

Poorly paid with little chance for progression
Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire4 May 2017
The wages are very low when compared to similar roles in the private sector.

Very little opportunities for progression with many people being forced to do work far above their pay grade with little to no reward.

Many young employees are stuck in roles far below where their qualifications suggest they should be within the organisation.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
low wages with little chance for progression
17 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your experience as an employee. I'm sorry to hear that you are not positive in your review about your experience as an employee.

You are correct in your observation that we are in competition with the private sector in terms of the salaries we can offer employees. Our additional benefits help to counteract this as we offer all employees a local government pension scheme, flexible working patterns, salary sacrifice and access to leading high street discounts, as well as as annual leave starting from 23 days and rising with continuous service.

The Resourcing Solutions team would like to hear more about your experience so that we can take on board your comments about the limited number of progression opportunities available to you so that we can provide you with advice and guidance to take your NYCC career to the next level though initiatives such as training and learning and management seminars. Please get in touch with the team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and one of the team will call you back to discuss your concerns.

Management all over the place
Refuse Collector (Current Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire11 April 2017
Was good at first but favouritism, bullying, arrogant. Untrustworthy management that really are two faced. There are a handful of staff I would trust.
Pros
Ok money
Cons
Low staff morale, poor management.
18 April 2017

Thank you for your review and flagging issues within your role. Please do contact Resourcing Solutions Team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and a member of the team can look into your comments about how we can improve management within your service area.

Fabulous place to work.
Social Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire31 March 2017
I have worked there for 17 years. Pay and training is excellent. Work environment is excellent. Benefits are excellent. It's like being part of a family.
Pros
Training
4 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review, especially from someone with 17 years of service. Social care is an extremely important service area for NYCC so it's great that you enjoy working for us whilst feeling rewarded as an employee.

The Resourcing Solutions Team would like to hear from you so that we can do a case study about your experience as a Social Care Coordinator to encourage more people to get into social care. If you can get in touch with resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk to tell your story we would really appreciate your insight.

Great Team
Passenger Transport Driver/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough15 March 2017
From day one i was made to feel valued, I was helped by other members of staff and formed great friendships straightway,
I loved this job.
sadly it was only a relief position
Pros
Good organisation, great manager, great staff
Cons
there was'nt any
20 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. It's great to hear that you have felt valued and that you enjoyed your role.

If you're interested in a similar position you can sign up to job alerts on www.nyccjobs.co.uk so if a role comes up in your specified search criteria you will receive an email notification to let you know to apply. If you require any further assistance please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

bullys
Mobile Cleaning Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire27 February 2017
Very Rude unhelpful management team, they don't seem to know what needs to be done from one minute to the next.

NO breaks, hours change every time they call
Pros
Home time
Cons
bullying managment teams
4 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your experience as an employee. I'm sorry to hear that you are not positive in your review of the service you work in.

The Resourcing Solutions team would like to hear more about your experience so that we can take on board your comments and work with the service to resolve the issues you raise. Please get in touch with the team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and one of the team will call you back to discuss your concerns.

Good
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lady Lumleys Pickering13 February 2017
12 1/2 years teaching and I had enough. NYCC is a quality employer. They do what they say they will do. I retired from teaching but still require something to keep my brain active.
4 April 2017

Glad to hear that you enjoyed with your time with NYCC as a Teacher before retiring and thank you for leaving a review.

if you are interested in keeping your brain active NYCC are always looking for School Governors. For more information please follow this link: http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/24808/School-governors

We have volunteers who represent range of services including Libraries, Countryside Maintenance and the Major Incident Response Team. The volunteers page on our website details how you can help your local community: http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/26068/Volunteering-opportunities

Clerk to Governors (Current Employee) –  Home Based30 January 2017
I work from home normally so have the best of both worlds. The office is only a call away.
We are given good support and training and our line manager is very supportive.
4 April 2017

Thank you for your review- it's great to hear that you feel supported even when you work from home.

As a modern council home working is increasingly becoming more popular for those based in an office so it's really positive that you find that this system works well for you and the service you work in.

If you have any additional comments then please do contact the Resourcing Solutions Team on resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk

Job experience
Business Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  Northallerton Central9 January 2017
Whilst the council does have high levels of employing disabled people they are often seen as an inconvenience and a nuisance and do want they can to benefit themselves before the employee. They will not support you if an issue arises. The unrealistic expectations cause stress at work and at home and the robotic manner of policy driven management causes and unpleasant working environment.
Pros
Decent rates of pay
Cons
Oppressive management and high stress environemnt
4 April 2017

Hello and thank you for your review.

The Resourcing Solutions Team would be interested in finding out more about the issues you have flagged as we would like to look further into this. Please contact resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk so that we can support you in resolving your concerns so that you can feel more comfortable in your working environment.

Not great money but reliable
Loader (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire15 December 2016
Hard work for por money but reliable with good pension good uniform and good super visere I have enjoyed my time but worked for over 10 years I need a new challenge
Pros
Reliable hours
Cons
Working in hard waether conditions
rewarding place to work for and adhere to policies and procedures .
Resource worker /Start worker (Former Employee) –  Northallerton12 December 2016
really good company to work for , keeps you up to date with relevant training AND ALSO NEW COURSES AVAILABLE TO ATTEND FREE OF CHARGE .
great workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Scarborough22 November 2016
it was pleasure to work for nycc.Management ok.Small amount of hours.great collegoues. No problem with them at all.Great workplace.
Cons
short hours
Time to change
Social Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Northallerton6 November 2016
Currently undertaking a restructure of its Health and Adult Services.
The authority is striving to make North Yorkshire a thriving county
which adapts to a changing world and remains a special place for everyone to live, work and visit.
Pros
A supportive management team
Cons
A great deal of uncertainty for the future
Undervalued
Teacher/Invidulator (Current Employee) –  Leeds20 October 2016
NYCC are the lowest payed council employers. Staff are undervalued and unappreciated. Pay role are excellent at making mistakes by way of underpayment then passing the blame but never so quick to repay what is owed.
Staff are hugely undervalued and are expected to give everything with little in return.
I am sure there are good and bad in every council, however i have unfortunately yet to experience the good.
Pros
School holidays fantastic co workers
Cons
Unpaid holidays, often make mistakes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Reviews by Location