National Trust Employee Reviews

Good Workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland16 September 2017
Generally a good place to work. At Wallington Hall my colleagues were welcoming, helpful, and friendly. The management staff were also great to work with. However, as most of the non-senior members of staff were high school or college age, the staff changes frequently, as was the case with myself. This however means that there is ample opportunity here for young people looking for part-time work whilst they are studying.
Hard work. Good team. Good local management.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales12 September 2017
Worked as catering assistant in cafe on NT property. Good management at location. Very busy at times: on my feet all day. Good teamwork. Pay (minimum wage) is slow to arrive. The early cutoff date means that payment for a given month arrives near the end of the next month. Benefits such as discount and pension scheme seem to have been forgotten. Zero hours contract but manager appreciative of hard work and very fair. There probably is career progression for those who want it.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Slow to pay.
Fairly typical of a waitressing job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunnington, North Yorkshire8 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at Nunnington Hall overall as the people I worked with day to day were nice, the pay was fair and it gets busy so you're always kept on your toes. However, there were some issues in management meaning staff work was made harder.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay for under 25s, not too long hours
Cons
In the middle of nowhere!
Working in a productive team
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banchory, Aberdeenshire7 September 2017
A typical day at work consisted of set up everything out front so that it looked appealing to the customers and preparing everything in the kitchen so that we could work as efficiently as possible throughout the day. I leaned how to deal with vast quantities of customers in the most efficient manner possible whilst still providing a great level of service.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Disrespectful customers
Great company and values
Full Time Membership and Visitor Welcome Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corfe Castle6 September 2017
Staff are paid minimum wage, which one might justify with it being a charity but at the same time, staff are not showed that they are valued in other ways as well such as managers congratulating an exceptional day of teamwork when targets have been beaten and great customer assistance provided.
Pros
You don't take work home with you, working for a great organisation that helps conserve important historic and natural sites
Cons
Poor management and organisation. It can also be very corporate and less about staff morale, and just targets.
Lovely surroundings. Toxic atmosphere.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Attingham Park3 September 2017
The surroundings at Attingham Park are beautiful with fantastic views and I worked with brilliant people who were great fun and made the day so much better. However, and I've worked in a lot of kitchens, this was without doubt one of the worst places I have ever worked. The management just doesn't care about the workforce and as a result the atmosphere is very toxic. The staff turnover was really high with people walking out all the time. No matter how hard we worked we never got out on time but were blamed for going home late. I saw staff being harrassed by supervisors and forced to leave and our work was constantly criticised and interfered with. In the time I was there I didn't receive a single payslip. I managed just three months before I left. This could so easily have been a good place to work but unfortunately, it isn't.
Pros
Beautiful surroundings, great co-workers
Cons
Toxic atmosphere
Great location and busy work
Tearoom and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrick a rede rope bridge2 September 2017
At Carrick a rede we worked very hard and was always busy. The staff got on very well and there was always something that needed doing withered it be in the shop on in the cafe.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not many hours available
Fun and interesting
Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Derby31 August 2017
I volunteered at the national trust through my university and found it to be well run and a really fulfilling experience. I would definitely lie to work there again.
Fun
Full Time Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bangor31 August 2017
friendly atmosphere, great company to work for, opportunity for further training, good colleague rewards. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending working there to friends or family.
Awful place to work
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire24 August 2017
If you value your sanity then do not work in the catering department at attingham park. You are treated like scum,you need to be a robot-not a human being! The work 6 months of my work life was working here! The people I worked with were absolutely fantastic,but they have their enthusiasm ripped out by the management. Health and safety is out the window,having to carry packs of 24 Pepsi etc through a busy kitchen into the dining area and up a large flight of stairs to the ridiculous store room! All they care about is hitting targets and cutting workers hours,unless you are salary paid then they expect you to do the jobs of the people they've sent home...often doing 3 peoples jobs at once,and expecting a huge amount of overtime for free!
Pros
Lovely co workers
Cons
Poor management! Over worked and under paid
Exciting and fun family orientated work environment.
Osterely Park Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Osterley, Greater London20 August 2017
I learnt to interact with young children as I worked on a Halloween based event that was setup in the grounds of Osterley for the benefit of families. Some of the Halloween based activities required physical strength for example setting up marquees.
Pros
Enjoyable work.
Cons
Physically demanding.
Simply the best place to wotk
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swindon/London15 August 2017
People are helpful and nice, nothing is ever too much trouble
Autonomy in role, flexible working and the opportunity to visit hundreds of Trust properties. No two days are ever the same - a truly fascinating place to work and a fascinating range of people to learn from.
Pros
Admission to National Places for two, flexible working
Very good atmosphere
Tourist guide - Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire12 August 2017
Very nice people, very welcoming, helping and generous.
Brilliant lifestyle job with excellent working conditions and collegues
Membership Service Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Torbay, Devon9 August 2017
I enjoyed this role as I drove and information vehicle and could work from home on certain days.

I was fully supported in promoting the National Trust across my area in Devon.

I worked with councils and other Trust members offering Membership in work places, at public events and in the high street.

I enjoyed meeting hundreds of people each week and running my own schedule.

I maintained the vehicle, keeping it clean and serviced.
Pros
Lifestyle Culture Historical interest
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chirk, Wrexham7 August 2017
The team is great and we all get along and fit well with one another. We have an understanding Manager who is there to listen. At day at work there is full of fun and work. The both mixed together makes for a great day at work. We can all have a laugh as well as getting work done.
Good work experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Farnborough Hall5 August 2017
Good work experience in friendly atmosphere. Flexible working hours to suit my needs. Hopefully I will learn to use more equipment as my volunteering continues.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Volunteer only
Seasonal Work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Devon30 July 2017
Enjoyed the job but poor management. Liked the property and enjoyed being part of the National Trust which is a wonderful and worthy cause. Liked my colleagues.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
management
Business Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Devon28 July 2017
Brilliant place to work. The reason I left is because I relocated to another county. The staff are very supportive and the location of your office is usually on a rural country estate. Highly recommended.
Busy and high pressure
Waitress and Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton24 July 2017
The kitchen is far too small to cater for how many people come to visit the site, especially when coach trips visit on top of general visitors. The National Trust's policy of 'the customer is always right, even when complaining about something ridiculous' meant that staff were often bending over backwards for silly requests. Also there was a lot of focus by management on what we had done wrong rather than right - having favourites was a big thing too!
Behind the times
Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom24 July 2017
As the main focus has been on conservation, they are behind in commercial business and systems are old. This can be frustrating at times due to issues that occur and the process to fix things can take longer than average. Management structure is poor and most of the time you are expected to work long hours with minimal support. Salary does not reflect your hard work and efforts.
If you are looking for a job that has a purpose then it is great, but along with this comes other issues.
Pros
free entry to NT places
Cons
salary, hours, lack of support