National Trust Employee Reviews

perfect summer job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dinefwr park3 November 2017
lovely charity to work for with friendly staff and a good ethos. I took this role on as a summer work to have something to help me prepare for university life.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
takes a few months before your first paid, started working in June got paid end of September
Happy Environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torbay, Devon30 October 2017
Cheery customers and staff, beautiful setting and free membership!!! Fair wages for everyone, including young people. 0 hour contract is not ideal but usually a fair amount of shifts available. Overall a pleasant environment
Interesting place to work
Room Guide (Former Employee) –  Felbrigg hall24 October 2017
Felbrigg hall is an estate with a long and interesting history and my job was to tell people the history of some of the rooms. It is run just like any other national trust property, the other volunteers were very friendly and helpful and the manager was nice and I missed the Felbrigg hall controversy and the national trust controversy by a year so I can't talk about them with any inside knowledge, also the lunch was free.
Pros
Free lunch
Great people on the ground doing a great job
Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) –  UK19 October 2017
Varied days, diverse workload
Collaborative and political culture utilizes negotiating and influencing skills
Systems and processes can be frustrating and the volume of information hard to keep on top of
Most enjoyable the places and the people
Pros
Great people and places
Cons
maintaining a work life balance
Catering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire19 October 2017
I loved working at the National Trust. I don't think there is an example of a 'typical day' as every day is different and that's what makes it such a unique place to work. You will get to experience what it's like to work in a variety of departments and everyone works as part of a team to ensure the place runs smoothly. I learnt a lot whilst working here through various training courses. The National Trust will be like your second family, everyone looks out for each other and it is a lovely environment to work in. The hardest part of the job is probably when the site is really busy and we don't have enough staff but even then it's still a good day because everyone pulls together to help each other out. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is talking to the regulars everyday and really making a difference to the people you encounter.
Pros
free lunches, great staff socials, great company, friendly workforce, excellent opportunities for improvement and development
Cons
can be stressful during peak seasons
Lovely workplace culture, bad management
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Broadclyst, Devon2 October 2017
Lovely team to work with, and is like a close second family once you settle in. however it is a fast paced environment, with a varied diverse operation, with a fast turnover.
Management can be negative and demoralizing, main reason why I'm leaving, but staff in general get very close, and the surrounding environment is staggering. Lush views all year round. And relaxing on a quiet day.
Pros
Lovely staff, great food for lunch, good pay for a student starting out in his/her career
Cons
Hard work for minimum wage, pays rate for minimum age of 21 and above Currently at £7.50
National Trust
Customer assistant in the café at weekends (Former Employee) –  dishes, UK30 September 2017
Part time work in the cafe at a National trust property. Would deal with customers, cash, fresh food and hot drinks. Throughly enjoyable and also very busy.
productive
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Nunnington, North Yorkshire29 September 2017
very good i enjoyed so much . i just left because i have not car anymore. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and no pubblic trensport to reach nunnighton hall.
Lovely company
Volunteer at Sutton Hoo (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge17 September 2017
I love volunteering at Sutton Hoo. Everyone at the property is extremely nice, the breaks are often (and include free tea and coffee), and the expense money is very good You also get a 20% discount off all food and gifts.
Good Workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland16 September 2017
Generally a good place to work. At Wallington Hall my colleagues were welcoming, helpful, and friendly. The management staff were also great to work with. However, as most of the non-senior members of staff were high school or college age, the staff changes frequently, as was the case with myself. This however means that there is ample opportunity here for young people looking for part-time work whilst they are studying.
Hard work. Good team. Good local management.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales12 September 2017
Worked as catering assistant in cafe on NT property. Good management at location. Very busy at times: on my feet all day. Good teamwork. Pay (minimum wage) is slow to arrive. The early cutoff date means that payment for a given month arrives near the end of the next month. Benefits such as discount and pension scheme seem to have been forgotten. Zero hours contract but manager appreciative of hard work and very fair. There probably is career progression for those who want it.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Slow to pay.
Fairly typical of a waitressing job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunnington, North Yorkshire8 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at Nunnington Hall overall as the people I worked with day to day were nice, the pay was fair and it gets busy so you're always kept on your toes. However, there were some issues in management meaning staff work was made harder.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay for under 25s, not too long hours
Cons
In the middle of nowhere!
Working in a productive team
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banchory, Aberdeenshire7 September 2017
A typical day at work consisted of set up everything out front so that it looked appealing to the customers and preparing everything in the kitchen so that we could work as efficiently as possible throughout the day. I leaned how to deal with vast quantities of customers in the most efficient manner possible whilst still providing a great level of service.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Disrespectful customers
Great company and values
Full Time Membership and Visitor Welcome Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corfe Castle6 September 2017
Staff are paid minimum wage, which one might justify with it being a charity but at the same time, staff are not showed that they are valued in other ways as well such as managers congratulating an exceptional day of teamwork when targets have been beaten and great customer assistance provided.
Pros
You don't take work home with you, working for a great organisation that helps conserve important historic and natural sites
Cons
Poor management and organisation. It can also be very corporate and less about staff morale, and just targets.
Lovely surroundings. Toxic atmosphere.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Attingham Park3 September 2017
The surroundings at Attingham Park are beautiful with fantastic views and I worked with brilliant people who were great fun and made the day so much better. However, and I've worked in a lot of kitchens, this was without doubt one of the worst places I have ever worked. The management just doesn't care about the workforce and as a result the atmosphere is very toxic. The staff turnover was really high with people walking out all the time. No matter how hard we worked we never got out on time but were blamed for going home late. I saw staff being harrassed by supervisors and forced to leave and our work was constantly criticised and interfered with. In the time I was there I didn't receive a single payslip. I managed just three months before I left. This could so easily have been a good place to work but unfortunately, it isn't.
Pros
Beautiful surroundings, great co-workers
Cons
Toxic atmosphere
Great location and busy work
Tearoom and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrick a rede rope bridge2 September 2017
At Carrick a rede we worked very hard and was always busy. The staff got on very well and there was always something that needed doing withered it be in the shop on in the cafe.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not many hours available
Fun and interesting
Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Derby31 August 2017
I volunteered at the national trust through my university and found it to be well run and a really fulfilling experience. I would definitely lie to work there again.
Fun
Full Time Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bangor31 August 2017
friendly atmosphere, great company to work for, opportunity for further training, good colleague rewards. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending working there to friends or family.
Awful place to work
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire24 August 2017
If you value your sanity then do not work in the catering department at attingham park. You are treated like scum,you need to be a robot-not a human being! The work 6 months of my work life was working here! The people I worked with were absolutely fantastic,but they have their enthusiasm ripped out by the management. Health and safety is out the window,having to carry packs of 24 Pepsi etc through a busy kitchen into the dining area and up a large flight of stairs to the ridiculous store room! All they care about is hitting targets and cutting workers hours,unless you are salary paid then they expect you to do the jobs of the people they've sent home...often doing 3 peoples jobs at once,and expecting a huge amount of overtime for free!
Pros
Lovely co workers
Cons
Poor management! Over worked and under paid
Exciting and fun family orientated work environment.
Osterely Park Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Osterley, Greater London20 August 2017
I learnt to interact with young children as I worked on a Halloween based event that was setup in the grounds of Osterley for the benefit of families. Some of the Halloween based activities required physical strength for example setting up marquees.
Pros
Enjoyable work.
Cons
Physically demanding.