Myerscough College Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Great array of animals, great opportunity to learn
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Preston14 September 2017
At the college every week was a chance to work at a different station working with different animals say, one week you could be working with poison dart frogs to working with an alpaca or with poultry or even common mynah birds there is a huge variety of animals you get to take care of which can widen your experience with them giving you lots of job opportunities in the future it can also give you chance to get over a fear of one animal in particular in which the tutors are fantastic at helping you with and will take it as slow as you need like snakes or insects or even rabbits or goats. The hardest part is not having everyday to work with the animals and also you don't get to chose which section you work at. You feed water the animals clean out their inclosures and health checking them to make sure they're in good health. The most enjoyable part is getting to cuddle or play with the animal after you have done everything you needed to do.
Pros
Opportunities to work with a wide variety of animals
Cons
Working with animals you may have a fear of or aren't keen on
As a casual member of staff I highly recommend Myerscough College as a work place
Groom (Former Employee) –  Preston26 August 2017
I worked at Myerscough College for three years while I was a student studying equine management and development (BA) I had three positions overall in catering, on stable yard in the equine department and in housekeeping. Overall I had a very pleasant experience working with highly motivated and skilled professionals. I was encouraged to take more exams to boost my career and the support to learn more was available whenever I needed it. I spent most of my time working on the stable yard with a fantastic team. I was sad to leave it all behind when I completed my degree.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Student engagement, financial management.
fun place to learn
Student (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire4 August 2017
it is a good college and helps you learn new things and have plenty of work experience and the college has a good reputation. it's university is the top 10 in the uk including the likes of Cambridge or Eton, harrow etc. .
Pros
free lunches and nice enviroment.
Cons
finance
Helpful Learning Curve
Student (Former Employee) –  Preston26 April 2017
Being just a student meant that there was obviously no pay. Through my course I was able to learn a lot about the chosen subject and had the privilege to work alongside great mentors. Overall good place to study.
Pros
Great atmosphere and staff.
Cons
Distance from home.
Great place to learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Billsborrow15 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Myerscough College, I gained my diploma in Equine Management here over a 2 year course.

The course consisted of various modules including rehabilitation, stable management, fitness and diet and breeding.

I really enjoyed attending the stud farm one day a week for work experience.
Pros
On site canteen
Cons
I lived an hours drive away from the college
fun to work there
Dog grooming instructor (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire7 March 2017
Loved working at the college and teaching was fantastic I love
To learn and helping others to learn and a lot of my students
are in the industry now and I'm very proud of what I achieved.
Pros
teaching
Ewuine
Stable Hand/Groom (Former Employee) –  Preston8 November 2016
This was my work placement that tied into my course at the time. The staff were efficient and i felt able to ask if i needed help. I learnt many skills do with the equine world.
Positive place to be
Assistant Head of Department (Sport) (Former Employee) –  Preston, ENG1 July 2015
Good to work here and there's a great team of managers who are honest and forthright with their expectations of staff. Toughest part was balancing the management of two satellite centres with linking in to the main campus but this got easier with experience. The enjoyment of the job was the ability to make a tangible difference to the lives of young people without the often unnecessary thumb-twirling of meetings to make small amendments to the student culture. A great place to work and would recommend it highly.
Pros
Friendly, positive atmosphere, good ethos
Cons
Salaries are in line with land-based FECs which are not the highest
A friendly and supportive workplace
Advanced Teaching Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Liverpool30 June 2015
Rewarded for hard work. Supportive management with excellent prospects for progression. Some excellent CPD put in place for individual development.
Brilliant College.
student (Current Employee) –  billsborrow20 March 2015
I was on this course for 1 year and it was learning about Personal Development and Employability and i did a bit of farming on this course and how to prepare for real life situations.
Pros
learning about different subjects.
Cons
Too far away.

Want to know more about Myerscough College?

Ask a question
College
Student (Former Employee) –  Bilsborrow, Lancashire18 July 2014
Studied Photography Level 3, NCFE Level 2 Graphic Design and awards in Starting your Enterprise and Accounts and Employability.

Lived in the on-campus residency and gained a lot of new skills as well as independence and also confidence to talk to new people and take the initiative on my own future.
Pros
Huge Independence skills, social skills
Cons
Late nights due to other students. Didn't affect my course and results however.
Excellent College
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG12 February 2014
• I had studied Animal Management Level 3 Extended Diploma, and received MPP (Merit, Pass, Pass). The animal management course included 19 various topics, such as, Zoology, animal biology, animal behavior, animal husbandry, animal nutrition, business, interpretation, wildlife.
Pros
getting my diploma
Cons
leaving after 2 years
Important things matter
HE Lecturer in Sportsturf (Current Employee) –  Preston, ENG28 January 2014
Important things matter:

Students - Great rapport, mostly all genuine , interested students.
Colleagues - Great support and willingness to share in trials & tribulations!
Pros
Pension. Student achievement. Teaching Colleagues
Cons
Poor pay.
construction plant maintenance
lecturer in construction plant maintenance (Former Employee) –  preston21 January 2013
Duties include preparing lectures and practical assessments, as well as delivering the course to NVQ L3 apprentices in partnership with Construction Skills.
I also maintain items of plant and machinery in the workshop. I am also involved in repairing machines for companies in the area, as part of giving the students real work with real time scales.
Training in fork truck operations (level 2)
Development and delivery of modules for Mechanisation; Health &Safety, Pneumatics, Forklift Training (NPTC)
fun and well organised
Coach (Former Employee) –  Preston11 October 2012
organizing drills
various tactics to help improve the kids with skills
well organized
friendly
ensuring that the kids understood what i was teaching them
knowing that the kids enjoyed themselves at the end
Productive and excellent workplace
animal technician (Former Employee) –  manchester10 August 2012
Great hours of work. Really enjoyed working there with all the different species of animals. Carrying out everyday work tasks such as feeding and grooming were very enjoyable. Staff and co-workers were excellent to work with. Enjoyed going to work and loved everyday that i worked there.
Pros
working with a variety of animals
Cons
no cons, just an excellent workplace and team.