Mountain Warehouse Employee Reviews

basic pay for a lot of work especially when you have to deal with the general public on a daily basis
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skipton28 December 2017
the company is a good place to start for the first few months after that it gets very tedious, you get no bonus for meeting weekly targets.

If you want a job to get yourself out of unemployment then yes it's not the worst but far from the best.

They expect a lot for very little pay and be prepared to have a cut in hours suddenly as I have found out the hard way especially near Christmas when 95% of people need the hours..
Pros
You learn to be very patient with people
Cons
minimum wage considering what you have to do
Brilliant company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham28 December 2017
The store I worked in was small so ran very smoothly. The staff are treated with respect majority of the time. the hardest part of the job were the customers the company rarely made life hard.
Hard work, minimum pay
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Covent Garden18 December 2017
Not enough gratification, fulfillment or money considering the low wages and sales targets. Constant tasking and price changes mean that customer service is neglected and sometimes impossible to maintain.
The shift patterns are awkward times (central london) and you only get 30 mins unpaid break.
Two positives - 50% staff discount, and the main one - meeting lovely co-workers which just about make the job bearable.
Pros
Colleagues and staff discount
Cons
Pay, shift, hours, no incentives
Terrible place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Longbridge, West Midlands7 December 2017
Terrible pay. Minimum wage at best
Managers do nothing then moan nothing gets done
Employ staff on low contracts then expect them to be able to do full time when they feel like it
Typical day is unpacking 20 boxes of mouldy clothing and hanging them up...never a dull moment
Expect 4wks notice
Never pay you correct
You learn nothing
No one wants to train you
No one asks for your imput
The most enjoyable part of the day is going home
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
Attempting to sell Cheap stock at high prices
Negative work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland5 December 2017
Very poor pay, used to have breaks but cut them down to make more money. Management was poor, and a lot of bullying. There was no care for employees, only making money and hitting targets.
Pros
Set shifts
Cons
Terrible pay
Not a great experience
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Morpeth1 December 2017
They expected me to be hitting sales targets from week 1 of working there, even though they knew I had no experience of customer service and had just been taught how to use the till. They really want you to push those half price items on the tills that, as a consumer myself, I am aware nobody is really interested in. There are also sales targets for these items.

They want you to lead a sale, as in you leading a sale from a customer walking through the door to the till. This can be a bit uncomfortable if the customer just wants to browse like most of us. It is not a relaxed environment for somewhere that didn't have loads of customers throughout the day.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
All of the above
Innovative conpany
Manager (Current Employee) –  UK21 November 2017
Always trying something new.. good wholesome clothes for the out door enthusiast and the wishful thinking dog walker. Great for Duke of Edinburgh participants and globe trotters alike.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Pay is fairly typical of retail.
Stressful work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brecon, Powys3 November 2017
found this place a very stressful place to work as everything was done unnecessarily fast. i wasn't given much hours, and ended up leaving after a short time.
A company that keeps growing
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Murton, Durham17 October 2017
As a manager it required a lot of commitment. Its not judt a 9-5 job, you do tend to take it home. You can get out and about covering other stores, which is always great fun
Pros
Great discounts
Friendly place.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Batley, West Yorkshire10 October 2017
A nice place to work but probably not the place if you wish to progress to upper management. It was several years ago though so this may have changed.
Pros
friendly staff and management
Cons
poor wage for assistant manager

Want to know more about Mountain Warehouse?

Ask a question
I enjoyed working here, but it was temporary
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  London27 September 2017
I worked for this company from home, hours that worked for my family and me. They were very supportive, any question i had i could call up my line manager who would b more than happy to help.
Pros
Worked when it suited me
Cons
Was not permanent
Relaxed but slapdash
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 August 2017
Relaxed and you can get away with working the bare minimum, but you get nothing for working hard here. If you buddy up to a manager you might be promoted, doesn't matter if its deserved. If you don't get on expect a reduced rota. If the products don't work you still have to sell them. The infamous trench foot incident is well known among older members of staff.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Poorly paid, poor products
Hard work for minimum wage.
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  South East17 July 2017
Difficult to find balance between customer service and the endless ticketing and price fluctuations.
Impossible to get time off when physically sick, let alone when dealing with issues affecting mental well being. If you're not bleeding then good luck trying to take a sick day!
Very little positive feedback, if any. Out of 2+ years employment, probably received positive feedback twice.
Surely an outdoorsy company would be environmentally mindful and find ways to minimise the wasteful ticketing processes. Hundreds of paper tickets wasted and discarded every week, very painful.
Pros
50% staff discount.
Cons
Long relentless shifts, very little positive feedback.
Nice environment. Lovely managers
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Haywards Heath17 July 2017
Colleagues and management always put you before them making sure you had everything and you were doing a good job. Customers were lovely and kind to you, No issues
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
nothing
Good Part-Time Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Market Harborough, Leicestershire13 June 2017
I enjoyed my time there and it was easily to plan around my hours. The management was good and there was good organisation of the rotas and there was a clear understanding and when everyone was working and the holidays that were available.
Please read. 100% honest review from all positions.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon2 June 2017
I worked at Mountain Warehouse for a year. I went from Sales Assistant to Supervisor to Manager. I can whole heartedly say as a sales assistant it's fine, go in do your job, go home as anything more.. you'll regret it. Stepping up to a supervisor, expected to know everything within a week. If you don't perform you get in trouble. Stepping into a manager I put absolutely every effort into the store. I improved the sales and KPIS. I had a great relationship with my staff who were all really sad I'd left. You are expected to meet impossible targets, work extra hours unpaid. Expected to fulfill a management role, a supervisors role and a sales assistant role. Senior area manager is the most unsupportive manager I have ever met! He's a 'pass the book' kind. He says 'fix this' and gives you no insight. You do your best, then he has a go at you for it not being as he wanted. No matter how desperate you might be for work. I promise, this is not the job. Head office are disorganised, changing decisions at the very last minutes. We were told at 12 in the afternoon, if you normally close at 5:30 you are closing at 6 tonight. Giving all store staff no time to change after work plans such as childcare. Please do not work for this company. If you do, you'll remember this review and regret not listening.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Totally disorganised, very unsupportive. Impossible targets.
Poor Management, Poor pay, Poor everything
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midland1 June 2017
No training for newcomers
Poor management, constantly changing
Stock often came in moldy or damp or broke which you are made to wear.
Asked to do too many roles way out of pay band
Poor structure to tasks and management
All procedures out fo date and legally wrong
Staff ok, not very educated or motivated
No career progression because you already do the job on assistant wage, increased responsibility without training, recognition or better pay.
Awful recognition Ie employee of the month, all based on KPI's
KPI's were ok, email capture was wrong, many customers do not want this, in fact, it annoys them.
Often found myself apologizing for the manager's behavior!

Never again!
Pros
Cons
Everything.
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria15 May 2017
loads of stash. merch was given as uniform which i did in fact get to keep which is always a positive. the boss is very nice and i felt appreciated by them
It was just a stop gap job
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Weymouth28 April 2017
Have aggressive ways to reach targets upper management also aggressive you do get good discounts on company goods short breaks also some unachievable targets and non stop emails about having to achieve them
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Long hours an unachievable targets
Enjoyable work environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Supervisor23 April 2017
Mountain Warehouse is a great company to work for, with a great sense of community not only within the store but within surrounding stores in the area.
Pros
opportunity to progress
Cons
lack of training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mountain Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.