Marstons Plc Employee Reviews

big mistake. management couldn't care less.
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire18 November 2017
day to day work isn't too bad such as working with co-workers and engaging with customers. however management staff couldn't care less about you as an employee and this lack of respect doesn't exactly encourage your best work or motivation. you are viewed as a replaceable drone that they can expect to work whenever they wish as they take no consideration to your home life or mental/physical health.
Cons
long hours, no respect or value as an employee, poor wages
Unsatisfied
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Chesham, Buckinghamshire3 November 2017
Personally I did not have the best experience working at Marston's restaurant. I found that the shifts were often very long and very work demanding. Customers could be very rude so I as a waitress found this difficult to deal with. There was a lack of communication in the work force however management were good and did step in when serious issues arose. The hardest part of the job for me was my age restrictions so at 16 I cannot serve alcohol which made my customers very impatient as I would have to wait for a member of staff over 18 to help me.The part I enjoyed most about the job was setting up tables for parties and special occasions. I have learnt how to prep food and good customer service skills from this job.
Pros
Tips, Group outings, Free snacks and drinks
Cons
Long hours, Demanding role, Poor teamwork
Marstons plc
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Brownhills23 October 2017
Great as a company to have worked for nice and busy always stuff to do and you always have the chance to better yourself whether its on site or going on courses through the company at various choose of locations.
Pros
Great Chance To Progress In Skill Of The Trade
Cons
long and unsocial able hours
Terrible place to work
HGV 2 Driver/Drayman (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands22 October 2017
Face has to fit big time never worked anywhere that favouritism is so blatant. I've worked there for a few years now it was ok to start with but new management came in and the job has gone right down hill no man management skills,lied to,certain people always looked after getting easier runs. Don't apply here job is the worst.AVOID
Pros
Cons
Management, Management, Management
Hard Work Little Reward
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare21 October 2017
Worked here for nearly 2 years.

The only thing that keeps me coming back is the team.

Salary is not worth the effort of dealing with the idiots that often find their way through the door. Advancements are not offered often and lengthy hours.
Great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire20 October 2017
Great company to work for, good salary structure good bonuses good training nice upper management flexibility not a bad word to say lots of differenct locations
Line Chef - Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton16 October 2017
Marstons is a great company to work for. Working along side hard working people and creating high quality food.
Since being in this industry, I have built up a lot of confidence.
Pros
Good wage benefits
Cons
Late shifts, long days.
Awful
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Various Pubs11 October 2017
Absolutely awful company to work for, mistreated, under appreciated and overworked. Never have i worked for a company where i've put in so much effort only to be shafted.
staff makes me feel like a family
Waitressing (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside9 October 2017
working with Marstons is a fun fast paced working enviroment good for anyone looking for a challenge . Ive learned that being part of a team is fun (teamwork makes the dreamwork as we all say)
Pros
20% discount
Cons
working christmas and long shifts
Fun and enjoyable
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Caterham, Surrey4 October 2017
Fun place to work with friendly colleagues, management questionable at times but overall an enjoyable experience to be working here. Food was fairly good and most customers are satisfied.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Low pay
Terrible Pay
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire1 October 2017
Terrible pay for the hours worked and how you get treated, not worth it at all. The only reason I didn’t leave ASAP was because I loved the people I work with.
Pros
The staff I worked with were lovely
Cons
Long hours, bad pay and bad management
fun places
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire20 September 2017
Lovely family pub through day and a brilliant evenings for the young and old has a taste for everyone with bandata ect and having lovely play erea for kids
Pros
lunces
Cons
ling hours busy
Great first job
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Derby18 September 2017
This is a great first job for teenagers getting used to the world of work, however the pay is minimum wage and there are not many benefits (20% off food and soft drinks)
Cons
Long shifts, minimum wage, bad benefits
Bullied by managers
Team member (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea17 September 2017
Surrounded by an amazing team that work really well together with no issues however managers have no respects for their staff and are very unprofessional as everything is on a personal level, there's a clear heirarchy and a misuse of power. I personally feel that I was bullied out of a job by management team and there are a handful of my ex colleges that would second this view.
Pros
Great co-workers and tips
Cons
Productive, fun, chance to further your career
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire13 September 2017
Marstons have fantastic pubs all around England, they offer full and part time positions, and available to start from young ages! They offer learning courses, push you to further your career with them and handle all situations professionally!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Good if bar work is your cup of tea!
Waiter and Bartender (Former Employee) –  England7 September 2017
Really long and unsociable hours, the pay is at the lower end of the scale also.
The progression is flexible, progress as high as you want to.
I found it an enjoyable entry level position.
Pros
Fun and fast paced
Cons
Unsocial hours & low pay
Fun and happy place
Bar Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire6 September 2017
I loved working at marstons pub that I worked in.
Friendly team of staff and I was encouraged every step of the way to be a supervisor.
I really loved working there, but when a higher member of management from the company moved to work for another company she took me with her.
Pros
Friendly place
Great workplace
Restaurant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex3 September 2017
Marstons is a great company to work for. They will train you up to the standard needed and will always help you to progress if that's what you want. You also get staff discount!
Pros
Staff discount. Rewards.
Cons
Long unsociable hours. Weekends. Christmas etc
Good place to work but not very good team.
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Murton24 August 2017
I worked in a new pub owned by Marston and believed when I first joined I was going to enjoy my job. However, the team I was working with were not as professional as I would have expected from such a well-known company. This, therefore, resulted in my dislike of working in this role.
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingswinford23 August 2017
Marstons is an ok company to work for. There are routes for progression but Pub Managers rarely discuss them with you as they want you to stay within the pub rather than worry about you progressing and leaving. The company give you 30% off your food before or after working and 20% off outside of work.

The company is fun to work for if you're with the right team, but having worked in several pubs, the stress level is the same, Marstons do not budget appropriately for staff so every shift is a constant struggle. Pubs also very rarely help each other even though they work for the same company.

The hours are also long and anti-social.
Pros
20% discount off food
Cons
Anti social, long hours. Always work holidays.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marstons Plc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8