Marstons Plc Employee Reviews

fun places
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire20 September 2017
Lovely family pub through day and a brilliant evenings for the young and old has a taste for everyone with bandata ect and having lovely play erea for kids
Pros
lunces
Cons
ling hours busy
Bullied by managers
Team member (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea17 September 2017
Surrounded by an amazing team that work really well together with no issues however managers have no respects for their staff and are very unprofessional as everything is on a personal level, there's a clear heirarchy and a misuse of power. I personally feel that I was bullied out of a job by management team and there are a handful of my ex colleges that would second this view.
Pros
Great co-workers and tips
Cons
Productive, fun, chance to further your career
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire13 September 2017
Marstons have fantastic pubs all around England, they offer full and part time positions, and available to start from young ages! They offer learning courses, push you to further your career with them and handle all situations professionally!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Good if bar work is your cup of tea!
Waiter and Bartender (Former Employee) –  England7 September 2017
Really long and unsociable hours, the pay is at the lower end of the scale also.
The progression is flexible, progress as high as you want to.
I found it an enjoyable entry level position.
Pros
Fun and fast paced
Cons
Unsocial hours & low pay
Fun and happy place
Bar Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire6 September 2017
I loved working at marstons pub that I worked in.
Friendly team of staff and I was encouraged every step of the way to be a supervisor.
I really loved working there, but when a higher member of management from the company moved to work for another company she took me with her.
Pros
Friendly place
Great workplace
Restaurant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex3 September 2017
Marstons is a great company to work for. They will train you up to the standard needed and will always help you to progress if that's what you want. You also get staff discount!
Pros
Staff discount. Rewards.
Cons
Long unsociable hours. Weekends. Christmas etc
Good place to work but not very good team.
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Murton24 August 2017
I worked in a new pub owned by Marston and believed when I first joined I was going to enjoy my job. However, the team I was working with were not as professional as I would have expected from such a well-known company. This, therefore, resulted in my dislike of working in this role.
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingswinford23 August 2017
Marstons is an ok company to work for. There are routes for progression but Pub Managers rarely discuss them with you as they want you to stay within the pub rather than worry about you progressing and leaving. The company give you 30% off your food before or after working and 20% off outside of work.

The company is fun to work for if you're with the right team, but having worked in several pubs, the stress level is the same, Marstons do not budget appropriately for staff so every shift is a constant struggle. Pubs also very rarely help each other even though they work for the same company.

The hours are also long and anti-social.
Pros
20% discount off food
Cons
Anti social, long hours. Always work holidays.
Very good company to work for
FLT Driver (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent21 August 2017
Since being at Marstons, I have not only met decent hardworking people,but people who strive to make a difference within there role what ever it may be. Your treated with respect by the whole team. Teamwork is an essential role with in Marstons... As the Mar bar ad read, "work, rest, then play' all it takes is teamwork.
Pros
Your treated fairly and respectively
Cons
Non
Good working environment
Second Chef (Current Employee) –  Liverpool3 August 2017
Good social job with good and bad times. Work a lot of hours depending on the actual place you work. Progression is good here if willing. Work is easy if you are willing.
Pros
Social job
Cons
Long hour
Good local team involved in a thriving business
Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Ollerton, Nottinghamshire3 August 2017
Working closely with other senior team members to give ourselves the best possible chance of success,my manager has years of valuable experience and shared that with me to nurture hidden management abilities making our work place an enjoyable and at the same time professional environment,supporting each other is key and showing this attitude becomes contagious and helps in possible unpredictable circumstances.
The best part of my job is the recognition I get when what I and the team do is noticed..
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Menu planning doesn't work out as good as it should
Lovely locals and great people behind the bar to work with
Bar Person (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire1 August 2017
The people behind the bar make the job enjoyable on busy shifts it can be really hard work but everyone is great at working as a team so that helps alot
Great Place to work
Floor Staff (Current Employee) –  Washington20 July 2017
This company is a great company to work for, my only wish is that I could be guaranteed the hours. I would actually love to work here full time and am dreading leaving.
Pros
Great family atmosphere amounst staff
Cons
good job to get you into the working world
youth sales and service staff (Former Employee) –  Mold, Flintshire6 July 2017
i feel that working at pen y bont farm pub for the business of marstons was a good job to get me into the working world and to develop my skills so that i am able to go out into the world of work and successfully work well within a business and so that i able able to adapt to many different situations when in working life.
Pros
discounted food
Cons
not enough hours
Great company to work for
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesham, Buckinghamshire5 July 2017
It is a fun and exciting place to work, each day brings new challenges. I would love to stay with them for a long time, but have my family life to think about.
Ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon19 June 2017
require you to work a lot of unsocial hours and long days. however it does help you progress.
A typical day work as assistant manage was always different.
Active place to work and very socialble
Barman and Waiter (part time) (Current Employee) –  Streetly13 June 2017
A day at work is usually very busy however it is enjoyable as there is a chance to socialise with custoers and other staf instead of being isolated. I learned how to provide great customer service and how to become more confident when talking to people i dont know. the management is god as there is so many different levels, i.e. shift leaders, assistant manager, pub manager and area manager so it is always run with a professional attitude. The culture of the workplace is good as it allows time to communicate with people you wouldnt normally with. The hardest part of the job is the late hours i.e working a night shift (5 until cose) as you may not know the time you will finish and it could be late. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people regularly and being able to socialise whils working and they NEVER affect each other.
Pros
20% off food, sociable
Cons
long hours, late night shifts, no free food
Like having a Second family
Chef (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands8 June 2017
I work in the kitchen. Witch are long and stressful. But if your a chef you no you enjoy it otherwise you wouldn't be there. Our menus are really good. Wage budget low so busy or not you have to cope.
good job satisfaction
kitchen manager (Current Employee) –  Long Eaton, Derbyshire27 May 2017
good overall company to work for long hours and seriously hard work but after aa busy service there is good job satisfaction. management are good and have time to listen to ideas and issues
Pros
creativity
Cons
long and hard hours
Terrible job, disgusting hygiene conditions
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Amesbury, Wiltshire25 May 2017
Shifts/wages unreliable, ineffective management, zero staff training, downright dangerous food hygiene practices. Would not surprise me if several customers have had severe food poisoning from this "establishment". I can only hope that this is just the Amesbury venue and not the whole company. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marstons Plc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8