Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews

Night Porter Role
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Waltham Abbey, Essex4 October 2017
Not a bad job for a part time extra job, varied tasks, helping guests, check in/out, food & drinks preparation for room service and bar, some cleanings tasks, some admin work, general security and monitoring cctv etc

Possible advancement to night auditor or manager in longer term

Big company so has procedures and policies etc, better than a small company i find
Pros
free food, tips
Cons
physical work, unsocial hours
Long hours and poor management
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 September 2017
I can't completely knock the time I had at the Marriott, some days were very eventful, in which I shared a lot of experiences and memories with various staff and customers, and in addition to this i gained a lot of useful skills that I would be inclined to use in any other work place.
Other than the positives I've mentioned, the Marriott came with a lot of cons; and I certainty wouldn't recommend anyone to work there.

Lists of cons include-
. Unsociable hours with no set time of when you're going to finish
. No incentive or rewards for the work you do
. Generally required to do a lot more things than what's in your job role description
. Very poor management and leadership
. Average pay with a low amount of tips

The Marriott has a lot of potential to appeal as a really pleasant work place, and I'm sure there's many Marriotts out there that excel well in treating their workers fairly, but the peterborough Marriott needs to alter a lot of rules and morals to make their workers feel happy.
Pros
Fun events, free food
Cons
Unsociable hours, poor management
Nice environment to gain experience
Conference and Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gosforth, Tyne and Wear25 August 2017
Good place to work for students during sixth form or uni, flexible working hours and a friendly environment. Pay is better than you would get at most places which is good.
Fun and different day, everyday.
Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire3 August 2017
Working at The Marriott gives you a new experience daily, allowing you to meet and interact with different guests from places all over the world and you get to make their stay special.
Cr ap
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Gosforth, Tyne and Wear27 July 2017
Some staff lovely couldnt fault them. Very clicky. No departments get along. All constantly arguing and slating and trying to be better then one another. Managerment couldnt organising a good night out in a brewery. Absolutely shambles. Some staff are smelly including management. Very 2faced. Someone gets wrong and the whole hotel knows. No confidentiality. Clicky Staff always late, nothing ever got said. Yet someone else would get wrong for still being there after the shift ended (truly because staff taking over are late) but again stupidity of current management. Nothong to eat. Nowhere to buy anything. Scabby vending machines. 10 hour shift and 1 free rotten sandwich. Shocking. Not even allowed a bowl of chips. Older members of staff. Been there since it was built do theeir own thing, think they are incharge. Nothong said about them. Not a place i would advise. Nothings fair.
Pros
Non
Cons
Food
Amazing place to work.
Food and Beverage Associate (Former Employee) –  Leicester19 July 2017
Amazing and friendly people everywhere, from you're colleagues to customers. The pay here was amazing, and as if you apply as a casual the hours re very flexible.
Fun and beautiful scenery
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset6 July 2017
when the weather is especiall nice, work seems like a holiday with the cliffs and the sea right in front of the hotel. the working environment is very friendly.
Not enough support
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 July 2017
Dealing with many complaints
Greeting guests
Cash handling
Answering phone and responding to emails
Making it a great stay for guests
Helping new starters in all departments
Productive workplace
Porter (Current Employee) –  London26 June 2017
Work at Marriott its not to hard , it's funny and interesting , the personal is the best beacuse its a one big team where everybody is important for make a god job
100% machine needed to do the job
Sales (reactive) (Former Employee) –  London Sales Office21 June 2017
I have worked in this role for over 4 years and although I am a TOP performer I notice that career development is slow and not happening at all; managers here PRETEND to CARE about employee’s development sucking up to Senior Leaders; making sure that ONLY business goals are met. (Not personal).
The core family values such as 'Putting people First' made me join Marriott. Being here I have observed that the Management in this office do not encourage development and want you to perform as a 100% smooth oiled-machine with ‘0’ support to grow. High staff turnover has also been the norm here and I have seen at least 100 people come and go.
Moreover, the Management here neglects raising concerns about the the work conditions environment and wellbeing of the employees which may get you in trouble for saying something is wrong and be accused of complaining. This makes you feel as if this is prison – day dreaming for a prison-break.
If you love yourself and I say this with Positivity, find time to develop your career at a company who cherish its people and pushes them to grow and develop.

Typical day at work: 24/7 Non-stop machines wanted with very little maintenance needed. (Robots-low cost)

Hardest part: sacrificing your work-life balance and even when you do you will never be at a place where your job is completely done, leaving you exhausted.

Most enjoyable: travel and meeting new people.
Pros
meeting new and interesting people
Cons
low pay, blood sucking role, no work/life balance, o progress
Productive and fun workplace
Conference and Banqueting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire16 June 2017
Company with inconsistent hours, however when the hours are high, the perfect job. Always an understanding manager who makes it easier to integrate into the team.
Great environmernt to work in, very friendly people!
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire9 June 2017
Very friendly staff, brilliant environment. Definitely a pleasure to work in and learned a lot though the experience about the work environment and how enjoyable it was!
Pros
Very friendly staff, Lunch break
Cons
Can be very busy or have breaks inbetween jobs
Was very hard work but I enjoyed it
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire7 June 2017
I only worked there as a work experience placement but while I was there I enjoyed every minute of it, would happily go back the the company for a job
Pros
Got to meet tom cruise
Never the sane each day
Group sales and events co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne6 June 2017
Proactive and reactive sales. Contracting events and processing business event orders for all departments, appointmennts with clients. Telephone enquiries and booking bedrooms. Ownership of events
Pros
Staff rates
Cons
Excellent benefits and high levels of service and experiences gained.
PGA GOLF PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Chichester22 May 2017
As a 4 star venue you are expected to provide excellent service. You are treated fairly and most of the customers are very nice. You will gain experience and high levels of service.
Brilliant place to work - loved it!
Conference and Banqueting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon13 May 2017
Loved this job, a real team spirit, no slackers! Every day was different. Everyone so friendly, you weren't just a number, even the MD knew you name and addressed you by it when he saw you.
Pros
Free lunches and gym, pool facilities.
Cons
Having to leave.
Okay
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London25 April 2017
The hours were nice so was the managment making sure we had break and we were safe and okay. They were very strict and did nit care on what you had to say. I would say work here but make sure you do not get pushed around
Yes it a great place to work
Restaurant Host (Former Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, Greater London23 April 2017
I will recommend this company to anyone who is willing to work in hospitality go to Marriott Hotels it is one of the best hotels in the world, it has family feel to it
Pros
Meals, uniforms all included to your pay package
Cons
It can be tough if you find unexperiance manager
Good company to work for.
Duty enginer (Former Employee) –  Bristol marriott royal9 April 2017
Every day was different and challenging sometimes, mangament was good, working with different culture, i met some good friends from working there, the hardest part when you where on call, can be very challenging but rewarding, most enjoyable time is when you achive some things, and go home that you done a good job a you get recongnised,
I have learned many things while i worked there, more about electrics and plumbing which as come in very use full,
Pros
Free lunches and uniform, use of gym
Badly run establishment
Hotel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth21 March 2017
Would rather work in a field picking cotton all day
I'm being serious I would rather stand in a field all day picking cotton or various fruits, maybe I'd earn less and if it rains I'd get wet but let's be honest I wouldn't be working for the establishment that is marriot hotels :)
Pros
Cons
Long hours and awful management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marriott International, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.