Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Camden Town london16 November 2017
Good place to work,you can progress within the company. Always busy, always learning new things. Good benefits including 20% discount on food and clothing.
Pros
Celebration day
Nice colleagues but no structured training
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London Colney, Hertfordshire15 November 2017
Pay wasn't especially good, minimum wage. Was recommended to progress but there was no training program. More 'find time and train yourself'. This was impossible since I needed to carry out my duties whilst at work and want allowed to deviate.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
On your feet all day.
A good job with good people
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire15 November 2017
A standard working day in Marks & Spencers would vary between working on tills, stocking shelves and helping out customers with there day to day shopping. I gained a lot of confidence in regards to approaching customers to see what problems they need solving and just helping people out in general. Management were good, would always have a daily assigned position and assigned break time.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Tend to always work weekends
fun place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire15 November 2017
good to work for
great benefits including pay, free lunch the most enjoyable part of the job was engaging with new customers everyday. the hardest part was the long hours.
Pros
free lunches
Its okay
Customer service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London15 November 2017
As a company it is okay to work for, staff are friendly. Free tea and coffee as well as fruit and bread. The pay is good. Easy to get to transport wise.
Pros
free coffee and tea and fruit
Cons
work hours
Excellent pay, still not worth it
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire14 November 2017
Management is cold and unapproachable, and don't make any effort to work as part of a team with you. Some make fun of other staff members making it a horrible place to work. From what I've heard it's not just my store that had this problem - seems to be a problem with the management structure in the business as a whole.

Also is an extremely boring job, Your day is planned out down to the minute. If you want something mindless and monotonous this might work for you but other retail jobs are more interesting.

Payroll and the HR team make a lot of mistakes as well. They are understaffed and badly trained. Lots of people including me had delays and mistakes in their pay.
Pros
good pay
Cons
terrible management
Lovely People
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire13 November 2017
A typical day at work was usually set by my line manager with a clear schedule and clearly defined tasks with sensible times attached.

Having never worked in retail before, I had to learn how to do everything: stack shelves properly; use tills; sell to customers; the works.

Management was very focussed on doing right by their customers and employees. They kept employees in the loop about how the store was performing, set reasonable targets and ensured proper reward for notable performance (I'm currently up £40 in Amazon voucher for a good couple of weeks of customer reviews)

Every single employee was lovely. The recruitment process appears to be quite good at selecting people that fit the pleasant, kind and proactive model M&S has aligned themselves with

The hardest part of the job was dealing with problem customers in a way consistent with M&S goals and best practices

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with my colleagues. Even the "overtime" parts of the job, like the stock takes that go on til 9 at night, were made enjoyable by the great team spirit and shared attitude.
Pros
20% store discount, among others
Cons
Variable hours
Happy and productive work environment
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead13 November 2017
Marks and Spencer was a lovely place to work because staff were treated very well and listened to when they came up with any ideas or issues. If there were any problems, management would immediately help, ensuring employees were not on their own.
Fun but hard at times
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset13 November 2017
Working at Marks and Spencer can be a very rewarding place to work not only because of the variety of customers you meet each day but also the family feel all colleagues bring to the environment. On the other hand this company are very persistent when it comes to extra hours and can sometimes make you feel as an individual guilty for saying no, this can cause further problems within the workplace.
Pros
Good pay
work exspirence
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  lowestoft13 November 2017
people were lovely they helped me the whole way through the jobs were easy so I completed them well. the jobs involved were stacking shelf's changing price, reducing items, getting things down from the stock rooms
Fun work place
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire13 November 2017
good place to work with friendly people. hours wasn't great but it was a joyful place to work. my main job was to clean out the fridges and mop the floor
Pros
good work team
Cons
low hours
Retail Store and Warehouse Management
Coach (Trainer) (Former Employee) –  London12 November 2017
knowledge on store procedures, quick decision making, efficiency, hard work, problem-solving, customer service etc.Training and updating colleagues on the shop floor on store procedures.
Fantastic
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teesside, North Yorkshire12 November 2017
Lovely place to work. Supportive atmosphere, lovely staff and great job. I only left to start teaching, and I would definitely come back on a management scheme in the future.
Only down side is that customers, while usually lovely, can at times be a bit pretentious. If you're patient enough with those customers you will be fine.
My experience
Customer Service Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  London11 November 2017
The staff at Marks and Spencer were very friendly I really enjoyed my time there; I was able to use my communication skills while helping customers I was also able to display my time management skills.
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester11 November 2017
i worked at the Trafford centre m&s and the managerial team came across as nice but having worked there for the length i did, i came to realise they were fake and catty which resulted in me having to leave the company as more issues arise.
The work load is ok i guess. ever hour or two you change tasks, however if they see your particularly good at a task they tend to keep you on there most of the shift. For example because of my customer service they placed me on tills and self service for ever shift which became dull and draining having to stare at a screen for 8 hour shifts and you get a flat butt!
Pros
the salary
Cons
bad management
Friendly workplace
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Blackburn11 November 2017
M&S is a brilliant place to work. With brillant staff, a great salary and excellent career oportunities, what more could you ask for. I would reccomend them as an employer to anyone.
Good Place to Work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland10 November 2017
they are a great employer for the casual worker. The work benefits are very good for the customer assistant job, and they are very fair to you in regard to your wants and needs as an employee
Well Organised
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire10 November 2017
I thouroughly enjoyed working 'backstage' at M&S. I liked the fact that everythig was well organised and that the company had good health and safety standards.
Fun and Enjoyable
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  London9 November 2017
Undertaking experience at the head office of Marks & Spencer working in the kids wear design team. I gained valuable experience in working in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple tasks at the same time. Working in a team of ten, I developed my interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills.
Pros
Work was very fun and enjoyable.
Cons
Could sometimes be difficult balancing work.
Productive great fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire8 November 2017
It was great fun having my work experience here all the staff are so nice made me really fit in. I'd love to come back! It's a very organised shop with great staff to help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.