Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Overall A Good Company - Tedious If You Don't Want To Progress
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hampshire19 January 2018
A typical day at M&S would be sectioned into different tasks per hour. This would vary depending how busy it is and what jobs you need to do, but mostly tilling, tidying, helping customers and filling shelves.

Management was very mixed. I had some excellent managers who were professional yet supportive and gave you feedback when it was needed. I also had a manager who was uninterested in being on the shop floor, had certain 'favourites' who were given the better treatment and also did not take a mental health problem of mine seriously.

The culture is like most places these days - sell, sell, sell. It's all about the money. Even customer assistants are told about the figures/plans for the year etc which felt like it's been brought over from the US. You have to be flexible and have to work at least some overtime. It doesn't look good if you refuse it and to be honest, you are made to feel guilty if you don't want it. I also felt the 'louder look at me' people were rewarded for their achievements while others who just got on with it were ignored. Employees were given different departments to look after and some thought they were more important than others - despite us all being on the same level - such as till dodging and spending too much time in their department.

The hardest parts of the job are numerous; standing on your feet for most of the day, only 15 min break if you work less than 8 hours, 1/2 hour break if you work 8 hours and dealing with potentially rude/aggressive/hostile customers. The job is physically and mentally draining on busy days. It's also not
  more... very mentally challenging and on the whole is quite tedious/repetitive.

The most enjoyable part of the job I'd say is the people who work with you and some of the customers. Not everyone is great of course, but I met some really lovely customers and fellow colleagues. Their 'Live Well Work Well' scheme is really good - if you are suffering with a mental health problem you can chat to a counsellor on the phone. In some cases they can arrange a face to face. I think this a great service.

Also M&S is very good for progression. I've known countless people who have wanted to progress in management and have done so - although some people were clearly not right for it.
Pros
20% Staff Discount, Career Progression Opportunities, Live Well Work Well scheme
Cons
On your feet all day, short breaks, potentially hostile customers, can be very boring.
Good job and kind staff
Warehouse Assistant London (Current Employee) –  London18 January 2018
I start processing order one day. I did picking, binning and reprizist. I get a traning a new area. The manager was very human and kind. Sometimes the job was heavy. I like kozmetics product,
Pros
free car park
Cons
longs hour
Great Place To Meet People
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  County Dublin18 January 2018
A typical day in the store consists of making sure there's enough products on the shelves and that the floor is clean and free of obstacles
i learned how to serve customers, i learned how to do various methods of payments such as cashback,paying with gift cards or vouchers and using the staff discount for employees
the managers are very kind and are always there if something goes wrong
the staff were very good to work with,they were very friendly and there for one another
the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people and making new friends
Pros
Staff Discount Card
Cons
Long Hours
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Angel Station18 January 2018
I worked on the bakery which involved handling the oven Also stock taking
Till Operating
Cash handling
Dealing with customers and complaints on a daily basis
Helping put together good promotions
Stock taking
Cons
Good company with a committed workforce
Environmental Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London18 January 2018
Lots of meetings throughout the week, lots of interaction across business areas, chance to travel in UK & further afield, great team working, lots of autonomy.
Pros
Every day is different
Cons
Can be long hours on certain occasions
fast pact place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london18 January 2018
Working here was exciting and very busy, you never had a slow or boring day ,I would meet loads of new and old customers in which I had the pleasure to assist them with there requirements.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Loved all aspects of working for M&S
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newtownabbey18 January 2018
Great place to work, great people. Unfortunately I was employed on a fixed term contract for a period of twelve weeks. Varied experience of stock, tills, customer services. Shifts good too.
Pros
Pay Rates
Good opportunity
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dulwich17 January 2018
This work placement gave me a taste of working as a team to ensure everything runs smoothly, I also picked up on my communication skills. I would recommend this work placement for anyone!
Pros
Gaining useful experience
Cons
Unpaid
Great environment
Store Operations (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2018
After working at three different M&S stores, I can easily say that M&S was the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for. I was able to balance my personal life, lean new skills and also count on the support and empathy of the management.
its okay if you enjoy retail
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent17 January 2018
I found from my experience retail wasn't for me however I enjoyed the time had spent working with the people and the regular customers make your day.
I found working in such a small store there was times of boredom how ever during busy periods there is lots too do.
Pros
discount card as soon as you start
Cons
quiet stores cause boredom
Customer Service Advisor
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 January 2018
I enjoyed my time as a Customer Service Advisor, the team was friendly and the customers where easy to talk too and mostly enjoyed my job. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cafe assistant.
Coffee shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside17 January 2018
Different shifts meant different starting times from week to week.Learned a lot of skills in the store as staff were put into different roles when shop was busy.Overall a nice place to work.
Great experience
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London16 January 2018
PLanning lessons and workshops a big part of the working day. Very social environment to be part of. Really good experience and personal development. Fun management.
productive and fun workplace
Team leader (night shift) (Current Employee) –  London St. Pancras International16 January 2018
A typpical day at work starts by helping the evening shift team leaders to close the store, make sure all the paper work is done and after that give tasks to night shift team members. I have to make sure that all the deliveries are ok, everything is worked out and the store is ready for opening.
Since i'm working there i learned how to manage a team, how to deal with difficult customers, complaints and provide an excellent customer service.
The hardest part of the job is when you don't have staff and you have to manage and select the priorities.
The best days are when all the experienced staff are in the shift and everything goes smooth.
It's the perfect job for someone who watns to learn and progress in the same time.
great work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire15 January 2018
I have had a great experience, fun team to work with, excellent management knowledge regarding product knowledge.
overall a great company to work with.
Store maintenence
Senior storeman and store maintenance (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
This was a good company to work for. I left due to moving to a different part the UK but I would reccommend this company to anyone.
This was an easy place to get on with people and it helped make the work enjoyable.
hard work
sec-co (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea14 January 2018
work under pressure daily with lake of staff compared to tasks in store. staff are hard working. overall pleasant place to work. mangers move stores allot s hard to keep a good one
Pros
evry other wkend off
Cons
work over christmas
Busy but friendly environment, very positive staff colleagues
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne14 January 2018
My typical day was to work on the busy checkout till on the Food Hall.
I took credit/debit cards and cash transactions.
I Promoted the Sparks loyalty card and swiping card to accrue points.
Assisting with bag packing when required by the customer
Answering customer queries and liaising with Supervisory staff
Most of the customers were very friendly
Management and staff colleagues were very positive and friendly
The workplace culture was for excellent customer satisfaction
The hardest part was the long queues during Christmas week
The most enjoyable part was dealing with people in a friendly mannner
Pros
Discount card
Cons
none (apart from long hours during christmas week)
Sales duties (Former Employee) –  Stevenage13 January 2018
Day started with open tills put money after checking new stock. Placing new delivery on shop floor, working on tills and helping customers. Taking orders, answering telephones helping and dealing with customer complains. Locking tills, safes and locking shop at end of day. I enjoy helping people.
I am very communicable easy going, want to learn, happy to help, reliable and I speak two languages; English & Russian
Pros
Good team, company look after their staff
Amazing
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands13 January 2018
I loved it they were so friendly and welcoming and honestly just a great team to work with. They helped me quickly settle in giving me advice and tips but also assisted me when I would need that assistance.
Pros
Free lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.