Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 3,204 reviews matching the search
Fun if you get on with people
Sale Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire21 September 2017
Relatively easy and fun job, but in periods of busy times it can be quite stressful! Good if you get on with people and can have a laugh and if your manager is nice otherwise it can be quite tedious and repetitive, especially on the tills.
Cons
Flexible hours sometimes very early shifts
Excellent review and training programme, family friendly workplace
Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London21 September 2017
A truly excellent employer; both in terms of benefits, training programme, career path and relaxed environment.

I progressed from a Senior Secretarial post to, a Selection Buying Assistant, across a range of internal departments to completing my time there as an Editorial Co-ordinator on the M&S Magazine, working on the Food, Wine and Home pages. A typical day on the M&S Magazine team, was spent with my team at the beginning of the day - organising our duties/day ahead. Meeting with the Editorial Team (based in Trafalgar Square) to view magazine layouts/ideas for the season ahead, look at their concepts and then subsequent meetings at my office, with individual buying depts to discuss seasonal stories and new products being developed and tested. I organised all products for shoots, attending some of them, checked photography transparencies and managed a budget. I produced in-store leaflets from concept to print. On occasion, I visiting printers.

I learned to liaise at all levels, remain calm in extremely pressurized conditions, leading up to print deadlines and manage my own workload. I development my communication skills and learnt to develop my public speaking, to audiences such as stores and higher levels of management.

The hardest part of the job - there wasn't anything - I loved it all!
Pros
Responsibility I was given, relaxed and informal workplace
Okay..
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire21 September 2017
The place is great to work with the right people. Management gone down hill recently but the actual company is trying it's best. The job can get rather repetitive.
Pros
Discount/flexibilty
Cons
No appreciation
Difficult
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New street20 September 2017
A difficult company to work for no support from upper level management. Not spoken to in a good manner by upper level no support of personal circumstance
Secure career
Finance and Operations Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport20 September 2017
Good company to work for, salary is not brilliant for management considering work done. Good pay for customer assistants. Staff discount and pension scheme is good
Great work environment
Multi Channel Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stockley Park, Greater London20 September 2017
I really enjoyed working for M&S because their IT function was really organised and provided me with valuable knowledge that I carried out with me into my next role.
Caring environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire20 September 2017
The staff were lovely to work with and I received a couple of pay rises during my time with M&S.
There was basic training given at the start but you learn more things as you go along. Although this was annoying at times as not everyone could do everything, it meant you were eased into it rather then having to remember everything from day 1!!!
Good
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire20 September 2017
Working at Mark's an Spencer was a good experience. Staff an employee's were very friendly an welcoming. The pay could of been better but overall it was decent.
Cons
No bonuses
Enjoyable, challenging and engaging workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray20 September 2017
A typical day as a Marks and Spencer employee revolves around working with your co-workers to ensure the best possible customer experience. An employee is expected to put the customer at the heart of everything they do, ensuring customer satisfaction. Tasks given to the employee can range from being on the tills, to filling cold chain & ambient, to serving customers at the customer service desk and overall, M&S is a very enjoyable place to work.
Amazing company to work for
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southport20 September 2017
I couldn't fault working for M&S. As a student by far the best job I've had for enjoyability and pay. M&S take pride in their company and look after their staff amazingly with a friendly working environment where everyone works as a team. They were understanding and flexible in being able to accommodate any shift changes and when asked for extra hours they were able to deliver. Fun and exciting work day where everyday I'd be doing something slightly different as I'd often move between departments if there was a shortage of staff. I'm proud to say I worked for such a wonderful company and was very sad to leave :)
productive and a very good company to work for its like a family
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire20 September 2017
when i was at marks and spencers i loved it made life long friends and always had fun, they understood me as a person and made sure i was ok in and out of work, if i ever needed anything it was there.

doing a 9 hour shift i would get 2 30 min breaks. i would go into work look at the rota so some days i would be on a till from 9am till 12 go for a break come back put fresh stock out and and tidy the areas.
Pros
discounts
Cons
being on your feet if you need to be
Great work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 September 2017
It was a good bubble environment, and time went very fast as it was located inside Liverpool Street train station so Everybody is moving at literally 100 mph to work and from work all over the uk.
Pros
Free lunches
Nice place to work
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teesside retail park20 September 2017
This was only a Christmas temp but at the time it was a nice place to work, friendly colleagues and if I remember a good salary, it was at night so the added benefit of no customers.
Pros
Night shift (no customers)
Cons
It was only for 3 months
Very good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London20 September 2017
I enjoyed working here. Also I learnt a lot of skills within the work place. Interacting with customers to help find the right product to suit their budgets is a privilege for me to help them
I also made a 5% payrise will working during my two weeks works experience and would be happy to do it again.
Pros
Free lunch
M&S is not the company it once was
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire19 September 2017
When I first started at M&S it was a small store on the High Street and we was a little family of about 80 staff. We have since moved to a out of town retail park with over 120 staff we are now just a number .
Pros
Free car parking
Cons
As many hours as you want
Fun and felt in my element
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex19 September 2017
Loved M&S the people the customers and the work was easy but very enjoyable aswell I partially liked the location as it was within minutes from my house
Pros
Discount
nice coleagues
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 September 2017
company decent pay, people nice to work with
hours not great for people with families
the people are friendly here and I learned a lot from working with the experienced people
Productive and fun work experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  York19 September 2017
I was only placed with M&S for a two week work experience. However, I gained valuable skills during my time there and it gave me an insight into working for this company.
Pros
Helpful team
Cons
unpaid experience
Excellent Company to work for
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire18 September 2017
Marks and spencer is a brilliant company to work for. They are very professional and pay excellent rates. The customer is at the forefront of the Marks and Spencers experience and this shows as they equally look after their staff.
Fast paced and challenging environment
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 September 2017
Professional and highly regarded organisation. Plenty of autonomy and opportunities to put ideas forward. Good career enhancement opportunities with plenty of internal promotions evident. Culture and way of doing things can be a bit inward looking and insular at times.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Hours can be long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

Marks and Spencer Reviews by Location