MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

PhD researcher
PhD Research Student (Current Employee) –  Manchester3 November 2017
Daily review of literature, laboratory and field experiments, data anlaysis and writing up. Preparation of risk assessments, logistical management, health and safety
Inspiring and Rewarding work place
Peer mentor (Current Employee) –  Manchester Metropolitan University2 November 2017
Typically as a peer mentor I would supervise a classroom of students and help them settle into university life and deal with any course related queries they may have. I've learned how to mentor people both my age and older, which I previously haven't done. The most rewarding part of the job is knowing that the students feel comfortable around me. It makes me feel as though I have done my job well as I am supposed to be someone who the students are able to come to.
Great Experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester25 September 2017
I worked for the university to carry out a survey for research purposes. Met great people and worked with a great team. I learnt about qualitative and quantity surveys.
Pros
Offers a great experience
Cons
No cons
Can be sometimes hectic
Security Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester10 September 2017
A typical day for me at work would include carrying out cash runs patrolling the campus. The management are ok, the workplace culture is varied with people working there from many different backgrounds. The hardest part of my job is dealing with various incidents that can occurand the most enjoyable part is when people tell you how much they appreciate what you do for them.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 August 2017
A great place to work. Everyone works to the same goals in trying to give the students the best experience possible. Working hours are generally satisfactory
Interesting place to work
Associate Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 August 2017
Enjoy teaching the dental technology students, sharing my experience of working in the profession for over 35 years. I appreciate the hard working students and gain from the job satisfaction when they graduate.
Pros
The students
Cons
Train travel
Math Mentor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 August 2017
My role was mainly dealing with first year students, working alongside a lecturer. There were a few sessions through the week.

My role involved dealing with quantitative analysis and was a good opportunity to in part knowledge I had learnt previously to support students with their exam preparation. the hours were relatively flexible and the work environment was relaxing.
Pros
flexbile hours
Cons
N/a
Friendly and professional
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Manchester1 August 2017
A great role for first year students to undertake as it helps to get familiar with the campus as well as meet lots of different people, being a student ambassador is also a very fun role as you are always doing something different and it takes you out of your shell and comfort zone.
Pros
Meeting people from a variety of different courses
Cons
Not enough open days to work on
The people you work with will be Great
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 July 2017
Your colleagues will be what help keep you going. There are always changes to structures and other things, in and amongst it, you can feel lost in the big organisation. The people you end up working with will be some of the nicest people.
Engage with prospective students and their parents during University open days
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Manchester24 July 2017
Very flexible work schedule and good pay. Very insightful job boosts your confidence and develops your communication skills. Make new friends among the other student ambassadors.

Want to know more about MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY?

Ask a question
excellent work place
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Manchester13 July 2017
I am only giving Manchester Metropolitan a 4 star since I was a student ambassador role, I could not rely on a consistent salary as the shifts are unpredictable, however as a student this can work in your favour all in all the job was hugely satisfying and I am glad that I was able to work here through my academic career.
Pros
pick and choose when you want to work
Cons
unpredictable shifts
excellent workplace with friendly staff
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 July 2017
A typical day would consist of dealing with student requests, providing guidance, and maintaining the library.
I learned skills in customer service and organisation.
the management and workplace culture was very relaxed and friendly.
Good place
AV Technician (ICTS) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester12 July 2017
Great place to work, an enjoyable atmosphere and I would recommend the place to anyone with a creative streak in their bones. Forward looking work environment.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
non
Interesting
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Manchester29 April 2017
I enjoy sharing my experiences of university life with the new in-coming students. Also, the fact that I have settled in so well so far from home assures them that they will also settle in and enjoy university life
Some decent staff
3rd Line Servers & Storage Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester25 April 2017
Public Sector so if you start work there you are ultra secure. But only as permanent staff.

Many many layers of management however progression is possible. Staff are so entrenched here that they are rumour mongers and have no issue slagging people behind their back. In some ways a very difficult place to work.

They adore beyond all words having meetings. If its a minor issue quick stop the whole team working and have a meeting on it.

The job is great for I.T as they have lots of good technology and you really can learn and play with it.

The bad is that there are to many meetings and to stringent change control which is frequented by non I.T people who are extremely risk averse so getting work done can be a difficult task. There is a deep quagmire of stuff to navigate as people are extremely PC and sensitive. Talking on a personal level in the office is quite frowned upon.
Great company to work for
Sports Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 April 2017
I worked here for 4 years and only moved in the hope for a career progression and regret making that move.
The staff were supportive and allowed self development
Provided key training
Worked at the department of Chemistry
Student Chemist (Former Employee) –  manchester30 March 2017
Provided laboratories with all the equipment and apparatus necessary for Organic Chemistry including both the synthesis and analysis of organic compounds.
Student (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 March 2017
Good work environment, nice atmosphere friendly peers.the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and the management team. I learned a lot
I only worked as a Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester1 March 2017
Student Ambassador is different from other vacancies that MMU offer. I can only offer my experiences from working under Jobs 4 Students scheme.

This is a great job for any students who have never been in employment. We are in control to whether we decide responding jobs advertised to us through emailing list sent out to us. This gives us an advantage to work around our studies pretty well.

However, I wouldn't recommend this job as a way to pay house rent. Jobs do come often but not enough to make a part time living wage. I would normally work in sorting out post mail, helping out open days or touring a campus with school children.

Thats the main jobs for the role. Working with co-students and staff creates a very positive vibe. There are familiar faces that you see and meet new people to work with often. There is a great relationship between staff and students. This creates a productive vibe that satisfies the public we serve.
Pros
Co-workers are friendly and fun to with.
Cons
Not enough hours for a part time living wage.
Fun and brillant work place
General Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire14 February 2017
In my general catering assistant job role, I have to deliver excellent customer service daily, my main duties include: working the till system, I am Barista trained, taking deliveries and undertaking all cleaning duties whilst being a senior member of staff. Responsibilities I have gained from this job are; handling large amounts of money on a day to day basis, monitoring health and safety by completing checks and lastly, I have mentored other colleagues. Whilst in this role effective communication is required to enable myself to work efficiently as part as a team and a service provider. Throughout this job role, I have mentored and worked with young colleagues who have learning difficulties which has given me the opportunity to understand how each person has strengths and weaknesses, furthermore it has helped myself to aid development of each colleague to perform their day to day job routine, leading to further progression and to help them work collaboratively as part of a team.

The management in the catering department is efficient and thorough as well as this, due to myself only being a casual, my manager is lenient on days where I volunteer. The workplace environment has a great atmosphere and the team I work with are very hard workers and make my job enjoyable. Although some days are hard when we are under staffed, the team and I always pull through and get our job done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4