Look Ahead Care And Support Employee Reviews

Flexible employer with good progression opportunities
Central Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London4 August 2017
I've always felt very well supported working at Look Ahead - the flexibility they offer is a massive plus point for me and I've always been shown a lot of support, both professionally and personally. Family work life balance is good and I think if you work hard, people are keen to progress you and help you move onto the next step. You can also move around quite easily - going from working in mental health to homelessness or from services to head office or vice versa.

This sector is undeniably tough for people who work within it, especially those who work directly in services and who are on the front line. A lot of the challenges and pressures people feel (high caseloads, salaries not as high as people would like) I feel come ultimately from local authority funding cuts and commissioning decisions - not from the organisation directly. I think these things are common to the sector not just this employer.

I've always felt that everyone here is genuinely committed to the work the organisation does - supporting vulnerable people and helping them to change and improve their lives. There's also great colleagues and I think that there is a genuine effort to recognise and thank people that do a great job. It's an organisation that's full of passionate people and I've always enjoyed the fact that it's a buzzy place to work.
Productive workplace
Senior Support Worker/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Tower Hamlets11 July 2017
Great place to start if your looking to working in an organisation that is passionate about finding great carers for children in care. good training and a busy environment.
Cons
Need to be be Flexible
The worst housing provider I ever worked for.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London8 May 2017
I have worked in the industry for a long time and this company takes the title of worst support provider by a country mile. For some unknown reason all the best people got 'managed' out or went on 'gardening' leave with a nice handshake to keep quiet. The heart has gone from this once compassionate company and now runs like a commercial business where senior salaries, performance and bonuses for those at the top are awarded at a higher percentage than the rest of the lower ranks.
We got the usual 1%(no pay rise again) but those at the top received up to 4%. What is clear is that the bonus system takes precedent over customers opportunities. The company have now stopped doing the staff surveys due to the bad feedback received about the senior leadership team. Heads buried firmly in the sand until a merger partner arrives to save the day.
Pros
long suffering support workers
Cons
poor leadership and director level
Lacking in Leadership
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London8 March 2017
I started at Look Ahead with high optimism about a company that used to be featured in the top 100 small companies to work for. It soon became clear that I joined just as things were on the decline and the demise of this company has gathered momentum especially since 2015. Here is why: loss of apparently secure contracts, massive turnover of central staff, shockingly poor HR department, Constant restructuring at Operations manager level, vision-less leadership, salary cuts to lowest paid staff despite awarding executive bonuses to the highest paid, decimation of the customers life skills budget, maintenance overspend, disconnect between directors and managers, low morale (see staff survey results), leadership team not living the values of the company, reduction in staffing, reduction in contracts, redundancies, poor (inexcusable) IT systems for front line support staff, separation between directors and lower level managers at head offices, incompetent and inefficient central services, complete loss of data in HR i.e references and DBS dates (enabling uncleared staff to work with out of date checks), massive overspend in central budgets. Need I say more?
Pros
unsure
Cons
Really poor leadership
Awful Experience at Manager Level
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 March 2017
I learnt very quickly that the way to the top in this company is to be compliant and agree with the SMT. However, this would involve leaving your morals and convictions at home. What incensed me the most and ultimately my reason for leaving was the decision to end the customer life skills budget which enabled independence and ownership of the services. How a company that made so much surplus from local authority grant funding could bank the profits and leave customers trapped in dependence was beyond me. But then it soon became clear that the rental for the head offices in Westminster and the executive bonuses were due.
Pros
Great Support Workers
Cons
Clueless Leadership compounded by poor decisions
Do not apply, it's better for your health being unemployed
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 February 2017
OMG!
Worked here and learnt what not look for in a company. Awful HR department that lacks basic HR knowledge. Maintenance department that will not paint customers flats when void. Massively understaffed finance department with elusive CFO who received the aforementioned executive bonus. Directors recent restructuring leaves Operational managers overstretched and now invisible. It is a complete horror show which is why we the staff have no option but to leave reviews like this in the hope that things get better. Somebody please help us.
Pros
Cons
The Poor Leadership at the very top
Chuckle Brothers Housing
Central services manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London11 February 2017
Where does one begin to describe the appealing leadership at the top branches of this rotting tree. Visionless, bullying, reactionary, invisible and defunct. Constant restructuring and redundancies. Clueless tendering processes with innacurate central costs resulting in front line staff having to work massive hours to break even resulting in burn out, mistakes (medication errors) and demotivated staff. On a positive side the plush Westminster offices look great funded by the cuts to the customers lifeskills budget. I thought we existed to create opportunities for vulnerable customers. However it seems that we exist to fund the executve bonuses awarded by the renumeration committee. Shame on you.
Pros
Long suffering resilliant support workers
Cons
Dangerous leadership
Absolute horrible company to work for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Berkshire9 February 2017
HR is a disgrace and absolutely do not support their employees. There is a lot of politics (job wise) and managers cover each others flaws. Managers get away with a lot of wrong doings unethical and unfair illtreatment of staff. No job security, no respect for staff or appraisal. Managers tend to favour specific staff so if you think your going to progress or be promoted to another role within LACS then you got to do some serious buttering up to the manager! Which is appalling behaviour and poor work attitude. Your not recognised for your achievements at all.
Horrible horrible company to work for!!! Don't apply just because of the recession or your desperate You may be much better then this, there are so many support worker roles!
Why people think this is a good place to work is beyond me??! I'm not the only one who thinks this is not a good place to work for trust me. Employees complain but to afraid to speak up because of losing work/wage.
Pros
None at all
Ethically & morally bankrupt leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London15 December 2016
Front line staff desperatly trying to do their best despite senior managers cutting service user budgets whilst at the same time awarding themselves executive bonuses. If you smile and keep quiet you will go a long way in this company. Blame culture. Plush head office in Westminster where senior managers have separated themselves from the lower classes. All this whilst front line staff work in appaling offices with very poor facilities such as outdated IT eqpt. Shocking central services, particularly HR with a 100% staff turnover. Consistent restructures which last 6 months maximum. Absolutely clueless Directors who are out of touch with the realities of staff workload hence massive front line staff turnover. It really is awful, this list could continue. Senior team Moto is 'smile and wave boys, smile and wave'. Madagascar.
Pros
You get to go home
Cons
You have to go back
Work hard not recognised by my manager
Support worker (Current Employee) –  London5 December 2016
I really enjoyed my job every day there were different challenges . Management issues covering up discrepancies in customers money . Not following procedures and staff made to put money from there own purse to make up the shortfall . Disgraceful !!!
Pros
Lovely customers
Cons
Long shifts
lovely Service user
support worker (Current Employee) –  Hackney Central21 June 2015
management is terrible will spite you to get own way no employment rights bad supervision limited food for customers staff here work really well together but that's it
Pros
yes free lunch
Cons
management
Strong value based culture, with an innovate approach to continuously improving customer focused work
Head of Learning & Development (Current Employee) –  London7 September 2014
An excellent company to work for, passionate about continuously improving services.
Strong value based culture, with excellent career progression development and opportunities
Solicitors
Assistant Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ENG16 July 2014
I worked in the post room which involved lots of photocopying and general office administration duties and reception cover.

I had a good relationship with all colleagues.I sound this roll very difficult as I did not feel like it challenged me enough.
Pros
Monday- Friday 9-5
Cons
Was not challenging
Excellent company that might serve as an example
Property Services Administrator & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ENG7 November 2013
This is probably the best company that I've worked at so far. There isn't a typical working day which was the most attractive part of the assignment to me. Two days were never the same and I absolutely enjoyed my time there. Management, teams and co-workers were just fantastic. There wasn't anything that I could find hard for me to do as I was fully qualified to carry out each and every task assigned to myself and I enjoyed every bit of the work.
Pros
Nights out
Cons
Wonderful customers, new management has no experience of working in the field of Mental Health
Floating Support Officer for Supporting People (Current Employee) –  West Kent23 August 2013
I have supported customers in their own homes for the last 6 years. These customers comprise of people with mental health issues, domestic violence, ex-offenders, people with all kinds of addictions and learning difficulties. I have really enjoyed this work and with working with my colleague. The job is so very varied it's impossible to say which is the hardest part, but the most enjoyable part is when a customer succeeds and goes on to live in Independent Living. The main duties are to ensure that all income is maximised through benefits, to act as an advocate with Housing Associations, the Mental Health Service, GP's, Social Services, the DWP, creditors of the Customer and any other body necessary for the individual customer.
My workplace.
Learning Disabilities Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London21 May 2013
A typical day at work involves attending to the holistic nature of support for my customers: in part, this involves attending to my customers in any aspect ( helping them meet their nutritional and hygienic needs as well as taking them out to their respective activities).

I am also learning about the managerial elements such as managing the house budget and being aware of its respective health, safety and security issues. I enjoy working with my co-workers and establishing a solid and cohesive team dynamic so that the day's plans are achieved.

I have learnt that the most enjoyable part of the job is empowering the customer to carry out functions they did not think possible and the hardest part is changing stereotypical perceptions of others in the environment towards them.
Pros
Great team spirit.
Cons
Lack of progression opportunities.