LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON Employee Reviews

busy but managable
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Merton1 November 2017
I have many years’ experience working within the local authority. Each day is different especially working in children social services

A typical day is very busy and full on. I learn something new every day working with social workers. I feel I have learnt more than enough in my current role and now it’s time to move on and apply myself to a more challenging position.

In the beginning my job was hard but as time moved on I learnt how to apply myself to the role and to not take my work home.

In my job I have good and bad days but the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I can help my team to progress.
Productive, friendly workplace to pursue a career
Customer Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Merton20 July 2017
Most enjoyable part of job is seeing the customer satisfied.
Hardest part of job is telling customers news they do not want to hear.
Workplace culture is friendly, positive.
Management are supportive encourage career progression.
Pros
Many benefits such as good pension
London Borough of Merton Reveiw
Planning Administrator (Former Employee) –  Morden6 July 2017
I was at LBM for 8 years, overall I would say it was a nice place to work, with good working conditions and great views of London from the top floors. The work-life balance was very good due to the flexible working conditions on offer. the salary was good and the employee benefits were OK. The job security was very much influenced by the funding from central government as with all local authorities. The management were much the same as in any other large organisation. The job culture I found was very good at all levels.
Pros
Cons
Influenced by funding from central government.
Challenging yet rewarding!!!!
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Morden, Greater London16 May 2017
Currently there are a few projects which have now gone live, so as well as the usual day to day general admin duties and co-ordinating ADs calendars there is the opportunity of assisting Project Managers in dealing with urgent and ad hoc tasks; whereby recently having to be trained on Mosaic system to help assist employees with on-line training. There is a sense of adrenaline and team work when having to assist managers in other tasks, and therefore the importance of being able to reprioritise workload as and when required.

The hardest part of the job is actually the ability to take annual leave. It is vital that various parts of my role requires being covered whilst im out of the office; however this is quite a difficult task as due to various cuts and restructures there are limited people available that can assist.
Pros
Flexible leave and hot desking
APPALLING approach to policy/procedure
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Merton, Greater London19 January 2017
pushed out at every turn although I was undergoing an extreme change of personal life - no support given - told to jump before being pushed. poor management skills - very withdrawn and blasé about poor level of support & structure.
Pros
flexi-time / allows Self management
Cons
managment very withdrawn - no support.
Good fair employers
Education Welfare Officer (Current Employee) –  Merton, Greater London4 January 2017
I have worked with Merton for I year as a contractor. Initially this was on a 35 hr pw basis, which I reduced in the Sunner due to contracts with schools closer to home.
Pros
Flexible contract
Cons
Home work journey is long.
Environmental Control Officer (Former Employee) –  London8 November 2016
Most days had a different element which made the job interesting. Days could involve working at Wimbledon Tennis or it could involve you in the ownership of a strip of land. Very diverse.
Pros
Loads of leave time
Cons
Doing call out duty once a month, 24 hour cover
Family place
Part-Time Library Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raynes Park, ENG3 September 2015
Working for the library was an experiance, it was great, looking at new books and reading more, meeting different people was great. Enjoyed doing story times for children. It was sad to,leave but we became a family team and have kept in touch since leaving.
Pros
you had first go at reading new books before they went on the shelves
Cons
N/a
In depth work on a daily basis
Commissioning and Contracts Officer (Current Employee) –  London Borough of Merton20 July 2012
continiously working to improve services on a daily basis to ensure that projects are value for money in a small team.