LONDON BOROUGH OF BRENT Employee Reviews

Started of good then went down hill
Business Support Officer/Team Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brent9 March 2017
Respond to all emails, receive clients and collect information on their lunches and receive money for lunches. Colate daily stats, update reports maintain all paperwork, receive and reconcile accounts, provide manthly, quarterly stats and financal data
Pros
The clients
Cons
Senior management
Structured and public body accountable to the local community for the provision of public services
Accounts Payables Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wembley Middlesex29 August 2016
The Accounts Payables Team was formed in September 2010 as a result of a Finance Transformation programme, which brought all finance functions under one umbrella to be more accountable and structured. The Accounts Payables team was the busiest team withing the newly formed Finance Service Centre and as the Team Leader, I had to manage a team of 10 staff to ensure that payments to suppliers were delivered according to agreed terms, thereby ensuring that services to the Council were maintained and not compromised. Payments totalled approximately £110 million per annum
Ok
Legal Secretary -Child Protection (Former Employee) –  Wembley16 May 2016
Learnt alot about life in general. How to be a better parent.Very involved job, varied dealing with social workers and seeing how the care system works.
Pros
near to home
Cons
no pay rise
Productive and people friendly
Consultation & Project Officer (Current Employee) –  London11 April 2016
A typical day at work for me includes a range of tasks. They can be from dealing with telephone or written queries to do with consultations to general office duties.

I liaise with different people and different departments internally and externally on a daily basis due to my role.

I have gained a tremendous amount of practical experience in public relations, customer care and team management. My management experience has enabled me to work using my own initiative within company policies and acceptable codes of behaviour.
Pros
Great Team
Great work force, but let down by the organisation
Principle Officer (Former Employee) –  Brent, ENG26 January 2016
The new civic centre is a fantastic environment to work in enabling the organisation to really be in a truly public accessible building. All the services under one roof, right at the very heart of Wembley.

The one thing you will notice at Brent is the real kindness of the workforce, everyone is really friendly and welcoming.

The organisation is based at the very heart of Wembley with the iconic stadium being across the road, with the newly built London Designer Outlet.
Pros
Discount at the London Designer Outlet and other online retailers
Cons
Long hours, lack of eqaulities
Productive fun place to work
Welfare Reform Officer (Former Employee) –  Brent, ENG15 January 2016
Great opportunity and great place to develop your skills. Great team and management. Very supportive management. The job was very demanding but the working environment was supportive.
Productive & fun workplace
Independent Living Advisor, Central Finance Team. (Former Employee) –  London, ENG12 September 2015
I was employed via an agency at the time however, Brent initiated the process to retain me.

Work usually starts with me arriving early before the gate's opened and once in, I power up my computer, sign in for HSE reasons, tea & coffee in the air and few minutes catch up before it's 9am and the phones starts to go.

I've learned that training picked up from previous employment is not a waste at all. I had the best Team Leader ever; we had quite a huge backlog of Service Users with little or no quarterly returns to the Council as part of implementing personalised budgets; Brent had outsourced these duties & with the changes going on at the time, the team leader fashioned a new role fitting for me, right there at the team meeting just so these backlogs were tackled within reasonable statutory timeframes.

I had the best colleagues; we were 5 in total and being the only guy you can imagine. We supported each other and ensured duty of care was on top of the list regardless of background.

The hardest part of the job was distractions while I'm dealing with all the accounts hence the move into another office I shared with the team leader who only visited few times in a month.

The most enjoyable part was all the training, support I received (real investors in people).

Thanks ever so much!
Pros
Support, Training.
Cons
N/a
Need to improve to retain staff
Control Room Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG21 June 2015
Brent need to look at how to keep members of staff,the Council seems to be a stepping stone to a better Council.
Control Room Officer, taking calls from members of the public and helping them with their enqiries.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Management culture
Demanding role
Complaints and Tribunals Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENG27 February 2015
This was a demanding position ensuring the work was up to date and delivered to a high standard. I had to train and keep staff motivated at all times.
An experience
Care Assessor/ Review Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 December 2014
This local authority has provided me with many challenges over the years. I have found that there are no two days that are a like which makes each week interesting and important to plan for.

I have learned to develop my existing skills through the attendance of training courses such as Safe-guarding, report writing, working with people with physical and sensory needs.

I have also learned to work effectively with colleagues, clients, carers and other representatives in an objective manner.

I have always maintained a healthy respect for management, however there has been challenges when competing with the needs of the organisation and the needs of clients.

I have predominantly enjoyed my 33 years with this local authority and has maintained some long lasting relationships.
Pros
Can apply flexible working
Cons
Meeting targets
Fun and Flexible
Connexions Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 October 2014
Working to assess NEETs
Supporting staff and fellow volunteers
Completing admin duties
Conducting community calls
Going on training days
Pros
Free Lunches, Away days
Cons
Only voluntary
Very productive and good place to progress in your career
Management Information Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG22 September 2014
Participated in a series of projects, working with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
Pros
flexible hours
Very rewarding Job
Foster parent (Current Employee) –  Wembley, ENG19 May 2014
Very busy 24/7 It is your life if your willing to do this. You have to have a lot of understanding and empathy. You need a lot of support from family and friends.
Pros
You work from home
Cons
Changes your life
Very good place to work, as long as they want you
Sign Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wembley, ENG6 March 2014
I worked for London Borough of Brent for over 8 years, 6 1/2 of them years as Sign Shop Supervisor, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Unfortunately, the department got outsourced and the signs got subcontracted out, which meant there was no opportunity for me to move into the new company. I learned so much in terms of management, production and supervising, and also how local government works. I really saw myself working there until I retired, but it was not to be.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay and pension scheme
Cons
Made redundant
Team work
Principal Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG23 January 2014
It was local to where I lived. Excellent team work between departments.
Pros
My work depended on getting reports from various other professionals on time.
Cons
At times difficult to get agreements between all the departments.
Local Authority - Public Service
Demand management (Former Employee) –  Wembley23 November 2012
Excellent Organistaion committed to continued service improvement and community inclusion
I enjoyed working as a Grants Officer over the years. I enjoy working closely with the community.
Grants Officer (Former Employee) –  Wembley10 October 2012
I enjoyed providing capacity building, advice and support to the local community and voluntary groups. I was able to make a difference to many of the groups as they managed to successfully secure funding to delivery projects to help and support vulnerable young and elderly people living in the borough. I was responsible for a portfolio of 45 groups who were in receipt of Council funding. My duties included administration of grant aid and keeping accurated records of grant payments, writing reminder letters concerning payments, outstanding documentation and providing advice and support as an on-going process.
Very busy and productive day
Head of finance (Current Employee) –  Service area building9 September 2012
A typical day of work will start with assessing the morning reports of the financial position of the department.
It progressed with addressing all technical and strategical issues raised by the accounting and the client affairs team.

The hardest part of the day is when I have to attend end to end meeting at a time when my inbox is being bombarded with urgent tasks. Multitasking and delegation kicks in. My colleagues are superb professionals whom can not be matched by anyother team in the authority.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I discuss the achievements of the team with my colleagues.
Pros
abudant training if seeked
Cons
no recognition of the achievements