Leonardo Employee Reviews

Suffering from lack of work
3D Artist (Current Employee) –  Yeovil5 July 2017
A good place to work. Quite a bit of scope for managers and room for progressing. Easy access to transport links. A very large company with offices around the country.
Pros
Good links for transport
Cons
Lack of work
Advanced technical company at the front of its field
Senior Technical Author (Former Employee) –  Luton8 June 2017
Nice company to work for; however, it is a large company so can be very hard to get to the people at the top. Not the way to do business nowadays.

It is part of the Italian Leonardo company. that has been going through large restruction to slim the company down and make it more competitive.
Pros
Great building and offices to work in. Subsidised canteen and coffee bar.
Cons
Campany is too big and impersonal.
Amazing flexible working. Opportuities and pay lacking
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh17 April 2017
Great overall company to work for with extremely flexible working arrangements.

Pay and promotions not as good. Difficult to climb the ladder, and no push from management
Pros
flexible working
Cons
promotions
pruductive and fun workplace
Senior Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Essex9 April 2017
My day to day typical can change every day.

A number of different skills.

flexi working

not having the right information when working on tasks.

the people
Pros
flexi hours
Cons
Great for placement, less for Graduates
Industrial Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex20 March 2017
My placement taught me a great deal about FPGA systems, matlab, product life cycles and software. Placement students are highly valued and I was given more work to do than most graduates. I was given a lot of responsibility. While this happened my friends (graduates) often were bored and had been given no work to do.
good
Customer Administrator (Former Employee) –  Basildon11 December 2016
very good place to work for had very good days at work got very well with the people I worked for learnt a lot while I was there for 24 years the hardest part of the job was difficult customers sometimes
Cons
You're encouraged to put things forward!
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Luton2 August 2016
As a developer we want to see the whole lifecycle; see the software getting used and get feedback. I've been able to design and develop software tooling that goes around our products, attend trials and demos seeing our kit in action. I've been supported in my development from technician days right the way through my qualifications and now I'm part of a team able to influence and improve the way we work and apply our technology, which is cutting edge within the electronic warfare domain.

The company encourages a dragons den style approach to driving through innovation and the submission of ideas. You are encouraaged to put things forward. I like that I can influence architectural design.

I left the company a while back and have worked in other sectors but what's great about coming back is the people and working within a supportive environment. The people go beyond and show more understanding and flexibiity. The company is moving forward with Agile working being rolled out which is a real improvement for the job.
Pros
Great flexible working hours, coffee bar and restaurant on site, Bupa healthcare
Cons
Working across cultures as part of an integrated project team is not always easy
Great people and facilities, a good employer.
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Luton5 July 2016
Great people and facilities, a good employer. I would work for Selex again but want to expand my experience and broaden my horizons.
amazing and ideal place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  edinburgh21 October 2015
best job yet! management should be offered as a 'how to' for other companies. work life is realistic and target driven leading to comfortable work. perfect engineering company to work for as the right person
Pros
fresh coffee is great, management is great, building is gret
Cons
salary is slightly low
Highly technically challenging with a wide portfolio of products
CHIEF MECHANICAL ENGINEER, UK - (EXECUTIVE) (Former Employee) –  Luton, ENG15 July 2015
Selex is a world leader of Aerospace defensive systems; moy core duties included,
• Responsible for all mechanical and electro-mechanical designs
• Responsible for flight air worthiness and structural assessment for exacting service environments
• Undertaking Aircraft surveys and defining system installation requirements including AV mounting, signal suppression lines, pilot communication channels and earth bonding points
• Directed the business on the introduction of Lean tools for efficient design processes with the role out of a new mechanical design process controlling CTQs, FMECAs and associated lean processes leading to shorter development times
• Responsible for mentoring senior and lead engineers and delivering lunchtime lectures to the business and department on mechanical design processes, CFD, Structural, Pressure systems analysis, airworthiness and lean tools for functional design
• Have had overall responsibility for leading the mechanical engineering team of 34 mechanical engineers and 6 analysts at Luton, with indirect responsibility across the UK
• Technical consultant to the UK Government funded additive (3D Printing) consortium for UK process capability and development

Selex-ES is an excellent company to work for with excellent training and development for graduates and employees alike, with a focus on well being and work life balance.
Pros
Technical Challenges
changing business
Head of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  bristol23 June 2015
no two days the same, results focused job, dynamic and challenging environment in a growing market. Senior executive within divisional management team
Great Work Life Balance
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT19 February 2015
Selex has a great work life balance with flexible working. I have advanced my technical writing and understanding and programming ability. People are friendly and happy to help.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Slower Paced that what I was used to from previous experience
Difficult workplace due to management outlook
Test Equipment Lead (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh14 October 2014
A typical day would involve discussion/work planning with Sub Contractor. Answering Sub Contractor questions and reviewing Sub Contractor documentation.

Currently learning that Selex processes are very labour intensive and slowing the work down. Our sub contractor is much more agile and can adapt to requirements changes and issues far quicker.

Management at Selex are only interested in profit margin due to financial difficulties at our parent company.

The hardest part of the job is negotiating with sub-contractor regarding change requests and cost overruns.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Lack of Engineering Effort.
Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Luton, ENG11 September 2014
Great place to work, flexible, innovative. Friendly staff, great location to work in.
I had a good 16 years of working within a company I liked, the job started off just as a temp, the Administration Assistant to Administrator
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Basildon, ENG27 January 2014
Updating timesheets and adding them to the Tme Management database on SAP
Ordering Stationery.

SAP (Downloading graphs for reports)
Skate (Skills, Knowledge and Training Environment) - updating employees skills.

I was under Project Management, part of the management, working for one Project Manager but he had 42 people under him, which I had to sort out their daily issues.

Helping my co-workers when they needed help with Microsoft Office, some didn't know much to help them in their day to day functions

There was no hard part of my job, everything run smoothly, I had managed to get into a routine, not to get myself into a flap or cause any problems.

Throughout my 16 years all was enjoyable.
Pros
Free tasting from the Restaurant, flexi working hours, free car parking, events throughout the year for employees and the public
Busy and Productive
Administration (Current Employee) –  Basildon8 April 2013
Working for Selex in the Project Management section, always busy. Extracting data from SAP and creating powerpoint slides, this takes approximately a week as the SAP system can be slow. Every day there's keeping tabs on employees time sheets, holidays, sickness etc.The co-workers are friendly, made many friends. All of my job is enjoyable. Over the last 3 years I learned about SAP, its problems, its contents, now I can say SAP is great.
Pros
kept busy everday, chance of flexable working days
Cons
keeps changing its name, prone to redundancies