LEICESTER CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

excellent progression and supportive directorate
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire22 November 2017
I find my job role offers me lots of variety and challenges, the management are very supportive and provide a good steer on objectives. The Team I work with have an excellent set of skills
Good Team ethic
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire28 October 2017
Worked in a really good team in which every one was very supportive - this was beneficial as i was only 16 when working here - wish they had had the contract to keep me on.
Street mason (Former Employee) –  Leicester26 October 2017
Working for lcc was very good working in the public sector
I used to
Concrete chambers
Reson for leaving
Moved from Leicester
Now living in thanet
Pros
Holidays and toil hours
Cons
Weather
Good employer
Business Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire19 October 2017
Stimulating work with opportunities to progress.
Slow decision making
Team working and individual responsibilities
Good work / life balance.
Friendly colleagues and workplace
Good pay and benefits
Good values and ethics
Pros
Family friendly employer
good environment
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  uk11 October 2017
good environment to work in i was a carer for my family memeber and they helped as and when they could always on call ikf we needed and repairs doing or what have you
Pros
free lunches
Great job but poor pay
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester28 September 2017
Working for the council is great on the whole - getting involved with community projects, meeting really caring teams across the city, and an overall belief in the work of the council.

However, let's be honest, the pay doesn't reflect this. Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about this. But if you want to work in an organisation that provides more real value than almost any other career then great. But if you want to earn big bucks and can sell out, then this isn't for you at all.
productive and fun workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire20 September 2017
productive and fun workplace. Proactive and always there to support when needed. It is well managed and has a good work ethic. Everyday is a learning day.
When the going gets tough management may decide to play rough!
Housing Division ex-employee (Former Employee) –  Various11 September 2017
The first 14 years at the council were very enjoyable and rewarding however the last 4 years bcame extremely difficult after raising valid health and safety concerns at work. I was sadly forced to take voluntary redundancy in order to protect my mental and physical well-being!
Pros
Friendly and supportive colleagues across the divisions
Cons
Lack of management care and support
Too many chiefs!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leicester3 September 2017
Over the years this job went from a rewarding enjoyable experience to one of being made to feel undervalued, excluded and in fact bullied by those who should have been managing an equal and fair environment. Managers had been in the same post for many years and seemed to believe they could continue in their behaviours to those who did not fit in to their 'favourites' category. This resulted in many good and caring workers resigning and leaving the establishment in a most unhappy place to work.
Family Support Facilitator
Family Support Facilitiator (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire31 August 2017
Not everyday is the same within this role you are working with families who have complex needs, delivering group sessions, participating in 1 to 1 work, home visit, assessing the needs of the family and working in partnership with a variety of agencies to meet the needs of children; young people and families. Do this job i have learnt and been on various training sessions from CBT to safeguarding, you need to have good team work, be flexible within your approach and ensure the child is at the centre of your work.

The hardest part of the job is when families don't engage but the most enjoyable aspect is seeing young people and children achieve their goals, aspirations and families making a small change step by step.
Pros
Everyday is different
Cons
Sometimes you can't make the change for families
Great working with children
Leicester (Former Employee) –  Leicester21 August 2017
It is totally fulfilling working with special needs children and watching them progress.
Working 1:1 helps to focus the child away from the distraction of the classroom whilst at the same time preventing disruption in the classroom
Pros
Seeing the children progress
Cons
When you cannot get through to a frustrated child.
Family Support
Family Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester19 August 2017
Family support work involves engaging with vulnerable families and supporting staff to help them and provide them with the knowledge to overcome challenges that they face in their daily lives. Our priority is always the welfare and safety of children within the family home and we work in tandem with children's social care. A typical day can be varied, assessing and allocating newly referred cases, supporting staff with concerns around individual families, participating in multi agency meetings to determine the best approach to support families or performing management oversight and quality assurance tasks to ensure that a high standard of support is maintained. We also are often called upon to react to sudden changes that can plunge families into crisis and could potentially lead to serious consequences.This often involves liaising with police or other agencies and negotiating an appropriate and well timed response to crisis that primarily ensures that the children in the family are safe and that the families needs are going to be met. Staff are passionate and committed to making positive changes in the lives of children and families and this is reflected through a creative and enthusiastic work environment populated with supportive professionals. The hardest part of the job is often trying to engage with families that clearly require the support but for whatever reason have chosen not to accept it, to the detriment of their children, which leads to social care involvement. The best part of the job is when we successfully close a case and the children feed back just how much  more... better things are since we have been working with them. A very rewarding job.  less
Pros
Making a positive difference in the lives of vulnerable families
Cons
The work can at times be quite emotional and stressful
Public Sector
Parent & Community Engagement Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Leicester16 August 2017
Workplace culture is difficult. The hardest part of the job is its insecurity due to a lot of cost cutting exercises and job changes on the frontline.
Pros
Get decent training
Cons
Too many costsaving exercises on the frontline.
Fun workplace, friendly environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire14 August 2017
I enjoyed working at Little Hill Primary School as it was a comfortable and friendly environment, which I thought I fit into well and quickly became apart of the community. On the other hand, as the teaching assistant, I felt I didn't have enough tasks to complete throughout the entire day and found there was a lot of standing around.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Not many tasks
excellent working environment
ICT Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire10 August 2017
flexible working, training and development opportunities. Typical day involved meetings with stakeholders, discussions on IT services and business improvements, ideas and opportunities for cost savings and effective working.
Pros
Flexible working scheme
Cons
Local government hence drawn by political aspirations
Fun workolace
SEN Teacher (Current Employee) –  Spinney hill primary school2 August 2017
Supportive and friendly environment. Good holidays, nice people and work hours. Good work life balance.

Pay is ok. Looking for further opportunities to develop.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay
Rewarding , fun, challenging
Nursery Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire24 July 2017
Helping to nurture children into being confident and school ready giving them many different experiences and challenges to enable them to grow and achieve to the best of their ability
Very busy work place with friendly employees
Transport Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 July 2017
Interesting place to work. The people were lovely and it was often a fun place to work. The work was demanding and often busy and stressful, however, there have been many changes since I left so the work has changed somewhat, I believe it is a less stressful environment.
Safe and enjoyable place to work at.
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Leicester6 July 2017
Working with arts and museums with the council is a great way to meet new people and has taught me alot. I have gained lifelong useful skills and qualities.
good
tarmacer (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire11 June 2017
Good hours fair amount of work .. All aspects of work carried out .. nice friendly environment .. get looked after if your a good worker ... Some overtime
Pros
hours