KENT COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Slack management
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom6 November 2017
Not enough help from management with regards to training and health and safety, that was left up to regular members of staff .
Too much chatting, loud laughing and time wasting from other teams local to my own making it difficult to learn and concentrate on the role.
Friday team building quiz went on for a long time, temp workers are not permitted to participate.
Repetitive work with very little variation.
Temp staff are NOT allowed to use the company multi story parking area.
There are no hard parts to this job but I advise taking notes for purpose of procedures that need to be remembered and followed.
Pros
Not regimental, very friendly staff, pleasant offices.
Cons
Some managers do not take their role seriously enough which can reflect on the staff.
Rewarding
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eynsford, Kent3 October 2017
I have been working with these guys for like 3 whole years so it can't be that bad if I stayed that long. Co-workers were cool and managers were fine.
Pros
50% off lunch
Productive workplace
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent21 September 2017
Friendly environment. Promotion within company if you work hard. Competitive salary. Work/life balance is good. Flexible working hours. Management listen to concerns.
Poor management and inequality!
social worker newly qualified (Former Employee) –  Kent7 September 2017
I was working for KCC as a newly qualified social worker, however the lack of support gained as a student in comparison to what is promised does not match at all, different team managers, first team manager completely ignored the numerous of occasions requested to complete my documents, leaving me with a delayed ASYE and incomplete.

Team manager left without being honest about the lack of support given, very poor practice.

I was disgusted by the lack of employees from an ethnic background and the way those which were treated in the office environment. Bullying does exist, i was a witness to this and other colleagues receiving it, not a comfortable environment for long term work. I have worked in several office environments and have thankfully never experienced this type of treatment before.

Being a Social Worker should be about the employee feeling safe enough in the workplace to reflect and learn, as it is a difficult job, it is unfortunate Kent County Council did not give this "promised" experience.
Pros
Flexible working, car allowance.
Cons
Long hours, lack of support, lack of training opportunities, various changes no stability.
Easy going,
Accountancy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent6 September 2017
(finance division) Relaxed work place, respectable facilities and benefits. There is lots of opportunity for development available - but this has to be well justified as the council are always looking to make cuts.
Restructuring happens often which leads to potential advancement but also job cutting.
Generally everyone, management including are very friendly.
Average age of staff is very high and most employees are long time serving.
Pros
Flexi time
Excelled
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kent22 August 2017
Amazing company.to work for loved every minute of my apprenticeship couldn't have asked for better people and company to have worked for would defi9work for them again
each and every day was unique
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Rusthall, Tunbridge Wells, Kent16 August 2017
As written in the previous Kent County Council job title review, as both jobs contained the same aspects of promoting well being and care for the residents, my duties did not change from each job.
Pros
working within the comunity
Cons
lack of funding
Brllliant company
sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Kent, Sussex14 August 2017
The time I worked here was fantastic.
was an average salary, with a company car, but the people I worked with were great.
The customer market I was in, was very enjoyable.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
I got made redundant
supportive work colleagues
Early Help Worker (Current Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent9 August 2017
A fun place to work when you have experience and supportive managers. This encourages you to not only do your best but give your very best to achieving the best outcomes for young people. This gives you a sense of achievement and personal fulfilment that you are making a difference in the life of young people.

KCC sometimes promote people into management role who do not have the experience and are not sent on management training. This affects the team effectiveness as they do not have managing people skills. Managers with poor management style, lack of understanding of group dynamics in a change organisation culture, poor communication causing unnecessary stress for staff members.
Pros
relevant training given to front-line staff
Cons
expected to work long hours.
Enjoyable working with general frailty and dementia client
Carer and team leader (Current Employee) –  Tenterden, Kent6 August 2017
Carring out a careworkers with day by day changes all the time it's very rewarding
Being a team leader you have more responsibility looking after clients and staff but I enjoy working as a team.
Diversity and Multi Cultural Experince
linguist (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent12 July 2017
Generally working with refugee families from Middle east.It requires great patience and mutual understanding.It also requires flexibility and utmost level of professionalism.
Pros
Flexibility.
Safe, Welcoming
Attendance Officer (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent11 July 2017
I enjoy working with the students and i thrive on the challenges they bring.
The work place culture is yet to be desired. It is very much an us and them approach.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Staff stretched to far to cover more than 1 persons work
Flexibe workplace with a fun team.
Information Systems Officer (Former Employee) –  Maidstone28 June 2017
Working within the IT department at KCC is a great way to learn on the job but in my ten years there I was only offered one training course with was frustrating and a disappointment, especially as technology moves on so quickly.

However, I enjoyed working there with a great bunch of people. The hours suited me well and they were very flexible when I also became a foster carer, allowing me to take a sabbatical on more than one occasion.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Little training
An interesting position.
Clerk to Governors (Current Employee) –  Maidstone22 June 2017
The training provided is excellent and since issues are very topical it is an interesting area to work in. Work is mainly at home but there is a good support network.
Pros
Intersting
Cons
Working at home
Be prepared to earn your money!
Early Intervention Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Malling, Kent17 June 2017
Expectations are high and acknowledgement of hard work not always recognised! Depends on management, some good people who go above and beyond but this becomes expected.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Lack of recognition
Organised
Bricklayer/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent11 June 2017
Very organised and look after their staff very well and make sure that the work they are set to do is complete and done to a high standard and never anything less,
un supoertive
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Kent8 June 2017
appalling company to work with. lack of support towards the foster carer when things go bad. I would never work for this company again in any aspects.
Pros
working with the children
Cons
lack of support
Good job for little reward
Early Help Worker (Former Employee) –  Dartford1 June 2017
Generally enjoyable role, although impossible to keep up with ever changing goal posts.
Unfortunately we could all see that figures mean more than people, causing staff to leave and the families we support to continue to struggle as we could not meet their needs due to high numbers of referrals and budget cuts across partner services.
Pros
Lovely colleagues & modern office facilities.
Cons
Low pay & lack of opportunity for progression.
always busy good hours good pay
Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  Kings Hill, Kent, UK19 May 2017
was a standard adim job answering the phone and dealing WITH HOUSING BENEFIT CUSTOMERS can be challenging at times when you get angry customers wouldn't work there again
Pros
holiday pay
Trainee Clerk
Junior Clerk in the Accounts Department (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent, UK12 May 2017
I left Warren Wood Secondary School in 1975 at the age of sixteen and started work for the Kent County Council in Maidstone, Kent as a junior clerk...
Pros
first job