John Lewis Employee Reviews

relaxed place to work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 February 2018
i enjoyed my time working at john lewis distribution centre, it was fast paced and a challenge but an enjoyable one all the same, targets were easily met and the management team were good and helpful
Very productive
Drivers Mate (Former Employee) –  Innova park14 February 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday and me being there, willing and able to be a helping hand to them for anything they need/want and ensure they are highly satisfied with our customer service. And, also receiving wonderful customer feedback.

The other most enjoyable part of the job is learning more about your role and further (i.e. management). It helps broaden your horizon and gain more experience.
Pros
Flexible workkng hours
Friendly atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire13 February 2018
Customer service is highly focused so everyone there is helpful and kind, made me feel accepted from first to last day and helped with any enquiries I had.
Great Benefits, Not so great work life
N/A (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 February 2018
Overall working at John Lewis has been a good experience, I have learned some valuable lessons and met some wonderful people. The benefits, discounts and pension scheme for JL are all worth treasuring. in my job role however there is no room for expansion. I quickly became very bored of my job role, wasn't challenged and very quickly became complacent. I ended up looking for other tasks to do from other peoples job roles. The management to be honest is pretty shocking. Many of them do not have the common sense to manage a team let alone push sales. That as a young woman trying to start a career path found that very disheartening. I would recommend this job role for people who would either be young and studying, or close to retiring.
Pros
benefits, schemes
Cons
rubbish management
Friendly and supportive company
Stock Management Partner (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 February 2018
A typical day in John Lewis as a Stock Management partner would start with us would unloading the morning trailer which has our stock for the day, then we would cages to the correct floors and work the on those floors. throughout the day we would be between our stockroom and the shop floor replenishing the area that need a fill. We would also deal with any customer questions while on the shop floor and help them in whatever way possible we could. There are also hand held computer checks that we would also need to carry out and also maintain a tidy and workable stockroom.

I have learnt how to be better organised person and achieved target within a allotted time scale. Also customer service is key to the role as future business depends on customer satisfaction. I have learnt to work as part of a big team and also work on my own initiative. Time management and attendance is vital for completion of daily tasks.

Management within my working environment are supportive and understanding of my role and duties I need to cary out. I find them and fair and easy to communicate with.

I find the workplace culture to be very friendly but at the the same time professional. We are all treated with respect and trusted to carry out the tasks at hand.

Working within time restraints can be very challenging due to the volume of stock we handle day to day.

The community sprint of the company where everyone is made to feel equal in there job roles.
Pros
Great people, Caring Company
Cons
High Volume of stock
Fun Workplace
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon12 February 2018
John Lewis is a good company to work for - However I did not work directly for John Lewis, I was working for Sitel and John Lewis was their client, Very good job.
Productive and fun work
Accounts Receivable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell11 February 2018
John Lewis is a great company to work for.I am very proud to have an opportunity to work there. John Lewis has a range of different rewards for workers. Very friendly and supportive atmosphere.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent6 February 2018
Overall great place to work, good pay, bonus scheme. Management was helpful but could be improved. Work life great though as everyone is extremely social and pleasurable to work with.
Pros
Social
Cons
Lack of Flexibility
Efficent and well run organisation
Team Leader/Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Reading6 February 2018
The employees within the business are lovely people which makes it a more happier and professional place to work. John Lewis do a yearly bonus scheme and you get discount in store, online and specific restaurant.
Pros
Cheap Lunch, Bonus and discount.
Cons
Parking is £4 per day
Interesting Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 February 2018
John Lewis is a well known company throughout the United Kingdom. I was very exited to have an opportunity to work there. The pay is very good and the working system is fair. John Lewis have a range of different rewards for workers. On each floor of a department there are many section managers. In my experience working with John Lewis i was made to feel like a cog in a machine. Managers don't have time to discuss any issues you have and they make it difficult for you to approach them. I found this issue with more than 5 different managers. I understand that the way the system works means that management can be busy. The normal day starts 5 minutes before your shift to have a meeting with other workers to discuss the day and then go to to your designated till point and throughout the day you serve customers and give them advice on products, check stock, and move around the company putting stock back to it's original place.
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks.
Relaxing
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 February 2018
Good place to work but salary was not good but the management and staffs are as pleasant as they are seen doing with customers lovely place to work shame it was only short period of time
Pros
discounts
Cons
On feet whole day not allow to sit whilst on shop floor
Great colleagues
Great place to develop your social skills as there was a lot of interaction with customers on my department, Although the management wasn't always great, colleagues were always approachable and willing to help when stuck. Great atmosphere and encouraged to learn new skills along the way. Pay was also very good as well. Also a great work ethic among colleagues.
patisserie chef (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk2 February 2018
Providing the full days range of patisserie items

The whole company working as a team

Employees co-owning the business

Great to use fresh ingredients

positive feedback from customers
Pros
Annual bonus
Cons
working bank hlidays
Temporary Christmas Sales Assistant
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 January 2018
Working at John lewis was easy, as a Christmas temp i walked around making sure products were on display properly and helped customers out with their queries. The pay was good and most of the staff were friendly
Pros
Pay
Cons
The management left me to figure things out by myself immediately which was difficult
fun place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  England30 January 2018
very good to work for,early start and finish was good and lots of overtime,management very good,employees helped each other,cleaning floors,cheap dinners
Sales Assistant
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside29 January 2018
-Working on tills
-Helping Customers

Overall really enjoyed working here and the team and managers were all helpful but was a christmas temp so came to and end, a
Great working environment
Womenswear Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London29 January 2018
Typical day is fairly bust, but support from colleagues and managers alleviates pressure. Learn how to provide excellent customer service as you are regularly observed and given feedback by senior members, Management are very friendly/approachable and a pleasure to work with. Workplace feels like a family. Plenty of staff benefits and many opportunities for advancement and recognition. Hardest part is when they are understaffed, which isn't often, and long working hours. Best part is working while having fun and staff discounts/benefits.
Pros
Staff discounts and friendly managers
a basic company
Operations logistics coordinator (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire29 January 2018
A basic Retail company who no longer values its staff unfortunately.

as times change and as recession hits, all benefits are starting to leave the company, next will be the bonus.
Productive and friendly place to work
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge, Kent28 January 2018
Work usually involves interacting with customers and satisfying their needs, ensuring good time management skills and effective verbal communication. Everyone is extremely friendly!
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Difficult to get holiday
lovely and prodcutive place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent26 January 2018
I loved working at John Lewis I would constantly had work to do such as till work or helping customers on the floor. The managers were always there to help with any problems and the more experienced staff were always so welcoming.
Pros
Cheaper lunches
Cons
Being moved about

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2