J Sainsbury Plc. Employee Reviews

Excellent benefits
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield18 February 2018
A great company to work for. A varied work day from till assistant to trolley collector. Plenty of overtime available if wanted. Only drawback - your face has to fit with the managers, very hard to be accepted by staff.
Benefits
Cons
Very early starts and late finishes
Poor and outdated systems and inefficient ways of working
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade17 February 2018
Poor and outdated systems and inefficient ways of working all set out within an archaic structure means many staff do not care, and leave the few that do the pick up most of the slack; the latter are now being made redundant amid a mass restructure.
Pros
Discount, brings their prices down to acceptable levels
Cons
Long hours, inconsistant communication, poor planning, lack of support, poor systems, poor processes
Busy
Team supervisor (Former Employee) –  London17 February 2018
A typical day was very busy and stretched. I was required to ensure all colleagues were doing their job correctly, to a high standard and on time, I had to organize shifts, set a daily working plan, open and close the shop, deal with any colleague/customer concerns efficiently, carry out fire, health & safety checks, cash up, work on the tills and also did a lot of cleaning.
Enjoy working with others
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk16 February 2018
The hours I work are not suitable anymore and am unable to change them as I have to work one weekend day. You are no longer seen as a person you are just a number, easily replaceable.
Retail
Loading Bay Operative (Former Employee) –  London16 February 2018
Stocking shelves, loading trucks, reducing items and providing customer service. A honest days work for most but can be very boring depending on area within business.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Pay
Good work place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh16 February 2018
Good work place enjoyed my time there, workers were friendly and chatty, was also a good feeling going into work knowing your going to help someone...
Pros
good environment
Cons
Hours
No social life
GOL driver (Current Employee) –  Northampton15 February 2018
Good job when out on the road.... hard work where they put more and more on u.... and the hours keep changing week from week so to have a social life is hard.... sometimes u do a 10hr shift and others 4 hr shift. Ranging from 6am til 11pm every day except Sunday when it’s til 10pm
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Unsociable hours
partime student employment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds14 February 2018
enjoyed the job. not really much to say. i was a student it fit with my studies. at the time it paid more than other supermarkets. i left as i need a full time job when my studies ended
Pros
convenient close to home
Cons
not much flexiblilty when i was allowed to take my holidays
Productive workplace.
Team Leader Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kirkcaldy14 February 2018
On a typical day at work i tend to customers and colleagues on a daily basis. I have learned many things whilst working at sainsburys, such as cash management, customer service, time management and conflict resolution.
Pros
Good bunch of colleagues
Cons
Not safe
Customer Service Assistant / General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa14 February 2018
Was given a days notice that my contract was coming to an end, Supposed to be given at least a week.
Co workers and team leaders however were very supportive and made sure problems were resolved and they were easy to work with.
Nice
General Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon14 February 2018
Nice and friendly work place with lots of help to assist and help you learn new things, give you lots of advice on what to do and have a very nice atmosphere to work in
Can be hard work, not everyone puts in all effort
Goods OnLine (GOL) Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Didcot14 February 2018
There is not a typical day. Sometimes it can be tough, with schedules over running, staff sick etc. I learned that I will never work in retail again, and definitely not for Sainsbury's, the only company I have ever worked for where you are penalised heavily for being sick!!
Pros
10% discount on shops
Cons
Being penalised for being sick!!!
Productive place of work.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk14 February 2018
During a typical day working on the shop floor at Sainsbury's you'll be doing tasks such as working stock and stacking the shelves, reducing products, helping customers with any quires that they may have and keeping the shop tidy. the hardest part of the job is for me personally they the lack of moral in the shop, the most enjoyable part would be the responsibility you're giving even as a normal colleague makes you feel a bit more important to the company.
Pros
10% discount card after 6 months
Cons
not many hours
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London14 February 2018
Its a friendly place to work, with lots of opportunities to progress upwards. Doesn't allow for much social time as a result of progression upwards, work always thanked for.
good place to learn and develop skills
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 February 2018
i have had a good time here i have worked in different role and they have treated me well and helped me improve myself. they look after there employees.
Pros
good benefits & discounts and continuous improvement
Cons
not much communication between teams
It isn’t an good place to work at the moment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex14 February 2018
Was a good place to work but is slowly getting worse and harder, it a good place to work if you want to be a general assistant but if you want to further yourself in a company. This may not be the best company to do so.
very good
General assistant (Former Employee) –  Wantage13 February 2018
I have created a good working relationship with my colleagues. I have a good network of support round me to. I have worked hard to get where I am now. its a good company to work for.
great place to work if you get along with everyone
general assistant (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire13 February 2018
Sainsburys is a great place to work how ever if you get on 'bad terms' with certain people you get talked about. Other then this its a great place to work managers are hands on the wage is decent and the work isn't too hard.
Loved it!
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pulborough13 February 2018
Sainsbury's is a great company to work for if you want to build a career - the job development is second to none! The pay is fantastic and you get a pay rise with every promotion. The discount and bonus scheme are great! You get two discount cards - one for you and one for a person of your choice. Hours can be anything that suits your life outside of work - with late, middle and late shifts dependant on the store - and can be increased and decreased anytime from 12 hours to full time 39 hours. You can't go wrong with this job, there are so many policies and booklets to help you that any job is easily done. I couldn't recommend a job here enough! Sainsbury's will take care of you!
Work place
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lymm, Cheshire13 February 2018
Sainsburys is a great company to work for.
I have worked my way up to store supervisor so there is usually room for movement within individual stores.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J Sainsbury Plc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K