J Sainsbury Plc. Employee Reviews

"a great place to work" not so much..
Counters Assistant (Current Employee) –  Horsham13 December 2017
I've spent 4 years working for Sainsbury's and have found management to be highly unprofessional in their manner of dealing with absence, (if you have more than 3 in a year you are disciplined, even with a doctors note). Managers will swear at or undermine colleagues, will give false impressions of what they can and can't get away with. Will tell new or young colleagues who are more impressionable that they HAVE to pick up an extra shift or they HAVE to work a bit later which just isn't the case. I know some managers who aren't even trained themselves on their department so never do any work. Absolute shambles and can't wait to find something else so I can leave!
Pros
Pay is competitive.
Cons
Policies and management.
Just a job.
Grocery online shopper (Current Employee) –  Swansea12 December 2017
Contract hours : 12 p/w. Anti-social hours starting at 4 am. Store not suitable for the job as the isles are too small, so to meet the targets was a constant challenge as they were constantly crowded with shelf-stackers and/or other colleagues/customers. Management constantly picking on you if you fail to do as told. Workplace was made up mostly of married women or students as it suited them with their other commitments. I would not recommend this job to anyone who is the main breadwinner as the overall pay package is very poor. There is no breaks, little regard for you from other store colleagues, you are just doing a job that other colleagues in the store tend to avoid. The job should be paid a night rate because of the early start however Sainsbury's doesn't offer the most basic pay perks. It runs on a tight ship.
Pros
10% discount card.
Cons
Short hours, poor pay.
Productive Workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 December 2017
I dealt with clients, providing good customer service, fulfilling the needs of the customers, filling shelves with the stock, dealing with money at the checkout.
Inclusive and upbeat workplace
Groceries Shopper (Current Employee) –  Harrogate8 December 2017
Working at Sainsbury's reminds you that a productive workplace is driven by supportive and inclusive staff. I feel that my hard work is acknowledged, and individual and team progress is well-tracked. Needless to say that this makes self-improvement achievable and fun.
Pros
Occasional raise in staff discount
Cons
Shifts could be longer
Old School
Warehouse Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hams Hall5 December 2017
Immediate management team used bullying to control staff.
As I did not agree with this, and said so, it was made clear to me if I didn't move on voluntarily, I would be forced.
Pros
Good quality workwear
Cons
Bad management at higher levels
It's okay
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon5 December 2017
Pays well, where I worked on checkouts can be very mundane and repetitive especially on the later shifts, if you like to be busy, this is not the idea job.
Pros
Good amount of breaks
Cons
Job can be very boring
Wages & advancement are poor
Nightshift Teamleader (Former Employee) –  Strathaven5 December 2017
Starting wage for manager was 18000 which is not worth the hassle of being put anywhere in a 100 mile region. Long hours which u dont get payed for, for no reward
Productive Workplace
Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  London Colney, Hertfordshire3 December 2017
A very fast paced environment with lots of potential to progress. As one of the leading supermarkets it is typically well managed and efficient, However as it is forever progressive, management is constantly changing which is sometimes confusing to keep up with.
Worst experience so far in my career
Customer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Holborn, Greater London3 December 2017
A very toxic environment where the place suffers from micro-management and inability to fit in due to toxic nature left one no alternative but to leave. Furthermore, when Ideas were suggested, they were either brushed aside or not considered. Tried asking reasonable questions related to responsibilities only to be hinted not to ask any questions. Wasn't involved in training in other areas of the job and hence was made an outcast due to not being able to fit in. The only valuable thing I learned was how to write a stats programme using SAS (which was actually self-taught, even though training was promised) and IBM Unica. Never was given an opportunity to apply various stats techniques gained from education due to aforementioned factors.
Pros
Cons
Micro-management, toxic team, unable to ask questions related to job
disrespectful, rude and very bigoted.
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London1 December 2017
They dont look after you. they treat you bad. they give you the worst hours and generally dont care about equality and inclusion. very rarely do you get thumbs up.
Friendly Collegues
To you shopper (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire1 December 2017
Sainsburys staff are not as uptight as other places i have worked. In Asda for example you got death stares for speaking to your fellow colleagues where as Sainsburys are fine as long as you do your work properly.
Mananging a small team as well as picking and packing.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenford, Greater London1 December 2017
Was responsible with meeting the daily productivity requirement as well as assuring my team was in good parameters as well. Friendly management and good communication between colleagues.
Pros
extra hours
Cons
distance between home and workplace
Decent First Job
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire1 December 2017
Great company to start from, relatively okay regarding progression but often filled with broken promises. The amount of times a colleague will be told they are going to be promoted/advanced to a higher role, and then given excuses when those assurances don’t arrive is far too frequent.
Pros
Plenty of Overtime
Cons
Too slow to promote colleagues
Checkout work scanning items.
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds30 November 2017
Checkout work, it is what you expect. Was OK pay, hours fine. But its very mind numbing to sit at a till all day an scan items through. It wasn't too bad, just nothing special.
Busy
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey30 November 2017
Id always be working in customer service which was a busy day. Serving customers, making sure they recieved excellent service, had to make sure people would be old enough to buy the products they need and always available to help our customers.
Good Company
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Shirley29 November 2017
Generally busy days, management is mostly supportive, definitely opportunity to progress. Pay is competitive compared to others and relativity good for retail
Customer Assisstant
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood29 November 2017
My job at Sainsbury’s was to present excellent customer service with an engaging smile and a helpful personality. Working at Sainsbury’s helped me to interact with any costumer at the till and even when working in the store. It has also helped me to commit and work with a team of people who I feel comfortable around. Working in a big store has produced my skills to be more flexible within my work hours which increases a better understanding of a career for the future.

As well as presenting excellent customer service at the check outs I also had the opportunity to work in other departments such as, clothing, the bakery, fresh, cafe and produce which has increased my confidence in trying new areas of work.
Retail Assistant
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydenham29 November 2017
My daily Duties included: serving customers: dealing with customer requests: cashier duties: stock replenishment and other general shop floor duties .
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh27 November 2017
Great company to work for
I’m a store supervisor and enjoy every part of my job
There’s always opportunities to progress with Sainsbury’s and everyone that helps through that process are great
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Early mornings late nights
Good Place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston26 November 2017
Its a good place to work, most people are helpful. Management is usally approachable and wil help where they can.

If you have a personsal problem they usally very helpful and considerate.

Hardest part of the job is there are a few that don't pull their wait and if your a worker you will find yourself doing alot more.
Pros
flexible with hours
Cons
You have to be on the good side of management to get promoted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J Sainsbury Plc.. Our community is ready to answer.