Housing & Care 21 Employee Reviews

Long hours too much pressure
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thirsk25 November 2017
Your face has to fit to do well here. As long as you are doing 40-50 hours a week and not taking your days off then you are treated okay. There is constant nit picking for most people unless you are a favourite employee and highly protected no matter what mistakes are made. Left the job through injury at work, so they kept my holiday pay.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, promises made but never full filled lack of support
Very rewarding job
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire31 October 2017
Lovely rewarding job in the community, loved getting to know the clients and their families, office ask you to do a lot of hours and are quite demanding
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Very demanding
Very poor company
Hca (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands26 October 2017
I worked at the watermill for 3 years. Favouritism is rife. You are ok as long as you creep to the seniors. Manager is a joke. They want to be a 'centre of excellence' for people with dementia, but it is more like nursing care rather than residential. CQC need to ensure they don't know when they are going to inspect, as last time we all knew! Do not work there, you will end up working 7.30am til 10.00pm and you are so tired you can't do your job properly. That's dangerous as you have to give residents medication. Avoid at all costs.
Cons
Long hours, no home life
Successful, compassionate Large Company!
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire9 October 2017
I work for this company currently and could not pick fault.
I am a care manger who manages the care with an extra care scheme. My team are brilliant.

The career progression is endless.
Have been with them 3 years now and do not intend on leaving!

Care work is always under paid but for carers if you have the right managers you will succeed!
Pros
Brilliant pay and career progression
Cons
N/a
Love the residents I assist
Senior Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire9 September 2017
I love seeing individuals development each day and assisting them to become more independent but know they have others around them to rely on. I like to be very hands on and enjoy a challenge. I like to work in a good team to make the workplace a happy environment to be in.
Pros
Flexible hours
Not a good company to work for.
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington29 August 2017
No support from management had staff working over legal hours. The pay was ridiculous. There was not support for the carers. And no consistency with regular staff on regular runs.
far from the worst.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire8 August 2017
Ok so nearly everything i've read and heard about this company has been negative? my experience has been the opposite, i was made to feel very welcome by all, (service users too not just staff) training was good and in depth along with plenty of advancement opportunities should you choose to pursue.
The management team are also ace, i've not had any issues since starting with them, they tell you where to find support and how to contact them with any issues. They have a trusting and democratic approach toward staff which i like in a job.
There a few negative Nancy's but that comes in every job, overall the staff are a great bunch and have your back, good team players for cover too which is rare!
good ol' Yorkshire surroundings too so its a nice environment to work in and i get far much more out of this job then i have in previous employment.
Pros
weekly pay, nice people, nice building, happy residents, they listen to staff
Cons
contracts, hours (lacking), occasionally having to deal with difficult team members
Team work, communications, flexibility and personal development supported with Training
Senior Home Care/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  London20 June 2017
Hectic but can be fun.
Learnt to deal different and difficult situations in diverse culture, never to take life for granted but appreciate. Learnt how to work with colleagues from different background and characters. I have experience different kind of management especially in the care sector settings. Under a good manager you will develop and move forward with a lot of training back up from within the company.
The hardest thing to take is when your are helping vulnerable person and then get short because you have to stick to the 'policy'.
When you feel you are appreciated and seen a change your effort has made in someones life.
Pros
Chance of Self development to go further
Cons
Expected to work extra time without pay
Lovely place
Home carer (Former Employee) –  St. Neots, Cambridgeshire14 June 2017
Loved my time working there, I dearly miss all the residents.
Colleagues were supportive and respectful.
Lovely residential home where every resident is treated with respect comprehension and affection from the care team.
Travel around place to place not fun
Support Worker/Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire31 May 2017
I enjoyed working with all the clients and new people training is good to build up your skills and qualifications ifyou can get them .be prepared to get called up a lot to do extra shifts
Pros
Be your own boss
Cons
Driving around in all weathers
Good company
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire26 May 2017
I was on the road for a lot of the time, travelling around Lincolnshire
so after a ten hour shift I still had to drive home. I was eventually given a round nearer my home, so I was able to enjoy and spend more time getting to know the regular clients I went to. I sometimes met up with other carers in the area to assist with a two person job.
The management were very good and knew how to get round you to pick up extra clients.
The hardest part of caring is gaining someones trust, then being moved to another area with different clients and to start all over again.
The good part of caring is the clients are usually really pleased to see you to have a chat and make them feel special.
Pros
Travel money and time
Hard work
Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atherstone, Warwickshire26 April 2017
I have found many challenges within housing 21 many have been positive however I have recently changed departments and I am not impressed with the management of this court.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
not much to approve yourself
IT (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 April 2017
Not A great company to work for. if your face does not fit then you cant succeed.

have tried to merge with other companies in past which have not gone well which has lead to redundancies as the only way to efficiency (according to company Board)
Pros
flexible, can Work from Home
Cons
No processes/No Structure/Standard Package/Job Security
Avoid at all costs
Carer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands15 March 2017
If I could give this company zero stars I would. The carers and the senior are lovely but the management are the absolute worst!! There is no support what so ever for the staff, good luck raising any issues or even getting a call back from the office- I have gone days where I have sent multiple emails and made multiple calls, with no one ever getting back to me. But god forbid you miss one call from them, they hound your personal phone constantly to give you extra clients.
Will rarely take into account your actual availability- instead just putting you down to work when ever they like. Was promised an improvement when the new company took over but in all honesty it's worse than ever now. Definitely do not apply if you have kids as the work hours that are given are ALWAYS evening and weekend, daytime hours are rare to come by unless you start at 6am, but what childcare is available at that time of the morning??!
You never get paid on the right day and the mileage allowance is worse than any other care company- that's when you can actually get it out of them that is!
Has completely put me off care work as a whole
Pros
Cons
Awful management, low pay, no support
Not the best to work
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 March 2017
The work was absolutely fine, however the management was terrible they get paid a lot more than the officers/admin staff, we did all the work for them and they took all of the credit. Management did not support staff and would treat us terribly - head of the department was made aware of this however nothing was done. It was such a shame because I enjoyed the work and helping the court managers. Managers need to take courses and senior management should pay attention to the officers/admin workers.
Pros
Visiting schemes
Cons
Very low pay
nice place to work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands7 March 2017
A typical day at work is enjoyabe and satisfying knowing we are caring for the elderly as they should be . Everyone helps each other if needed ..good teamwork. Management are good and will deal with things as quickly as possible and have a good relationship with all staff
Pros
knowing we are providing a good service
Cons
can be long hours e.g 10 hour shifts
It was ok!
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield24 February 2017
Management didn't know what they was doing, forever having to pick shifts up. Didnt give enough times and calls over lapped. Work/Life balance never happened. Overall not such a good place to work.
Pros
Some good carers
Cons
Rubbish Management and expect you to pick up all time
Lovely place to work
Night home carer (Current Employee) –  Settle, North Yorkshire13 February 2017
The management here are very good, the staff are great and we have the best residents ever! I really do think some people just like to put bad reviews on these sites for the fun of it. Well I can't praise this place highly enough!
Yes, the hours are tough, you really need to put the effort in because it's full on hard work. But the rewards are so worth it.
Maybe I'm just lucky here but I think Housing and Care 21 are brilliant to work for. The pay is pretty good, the on site training is superb and the management are really supportive. You could do a lot worse than work here, trust me!
Pros
Fun place to work, great staff, great residents, beautiful setting.
Cons
Short staffing sometimes
Illness
Manager (Former Employee) –  Preston12 February 2017
due to my illness i had to hand in my notice
I did enjoy my work but unfortunately my illness made it impossible to commit to the needs of the role i had there as Area Manager
Pros
non
Cons
colleague
great place
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall24 January 2017
the workplace is a great enviroment it made everyone feel welcome not just service users also staff.

The staff were very nice and friendly they always had time to listen
Pros
Free tea and biscuits
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Housing & Care 21. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9