House of Commons Employee Reviews

Amazing
Senior Parliamentary Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 September 2017
One of the most insightful highlights of my life. An amazing culture and environment. I would do it all over again if I had the choice. Very great at supplementing your education.
Good
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2017
Worked with local MP on a one week work experience placement. Learnt a lot about political processes and the workings of the MPs staff and of overall governance.
A new beginning.....
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  London1 August 2017
Unfortunately the House of Commons are struggling to control a workforce made up of disgruntled ex-police staff who have been forcibly ejected from their chosen employer.

Because of harsh HR rules and the application of them staff morale has plummeted and has given rise to an over-active staff union. Unfortunately they are unwilling to negotiate or bargain which has resulted in a very hostile environment for junior/middle managers.
Pros
Beautiful buildings
Cons
Terrible shift pattern
The centre of the UK's democracy
Member of Parliament (Former Employee) –  Westminster12 July 2017
A great working environment where everyone is moving around a lot so if you like to be always on the move then working her is the right place for you.
Professional workplace, good opportunities
Communications Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 July 2017
An amazing place to work, with colleagues from all walks of life. A challenging yet rewarding workplace for those who enjoy working in the Public Sector.
productive
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  London2 July 2017
I learnt teamwork, refined my ability to work in a team in different paced environments,  while carrying out instructions given to me by the chefs. and a higher understanding of  food hygiene and learnt new cooking skills.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, pressured enviroment
House of Commons
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 June 2017
The UK public elects 650 Members of Parliament (MPs) to represent their interests and concerns in the House of Commons. MPs consider and propose new laws, and can scrutinise government policies by asking ministers questions about current issues either in the Commons Chamber or in Committees.
Serious
Parliamentary Intern to Lord Hague of Richmond (Former Employee) –  Richmond12 June 2017
I worked there for a short amount of time, but it provided you with a great insight into how the political process works and what makes a politician tick, which has set me up for life.
Work experience
Parliamentary Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 June 2017
a typical day was organising letters, attending conferences and public appearances with the MP, organising paperwork and producing letters.i learnt a lot about how large organisations are run from this experience behind the scenes.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Travelling
nice place
Food & Beverage assistant (Former Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London20 December 2016
great place to work and develop as an individual. you have the chance to interact with the public as well as management get to meet people of all walks of life.
Great Opportunity
Events coordinator (Former Employee) –  London25 October 2016
Great experience and opportunity. The company looks after and appreciates its employees. however there is a serious lack of career progression available.
Pros
Great benefits system and good holiday package
Cons
Lack of Progression
Experienced Project Manager
Environmental Advisor (Former Employee) –  London21 June 2016
Looking for either a project manager or administrational role, I am experienced in developing solutions to environmental issues in regard to large scale windfarm planning
terrible culture
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  westminster palace2 May 2016
Lovely building to work in, but some departments within the palace have a terrible attitude to junior members of staff. Attitudes to EHS is more based on whats better for the management rather than worker welbeing.
Pros
amazing building
Cons
treated terribly
Very nice place to work
Administrator and archivist (Current Employee) –  London, ENG23 January 2016
I am engaged with promoting customer service in the House of Commons through contact with the public and also working with parliamentary documents.
Pros
Good work culture
challenging and very rewarding
Intern at the Houses of Parliament (Former Employee) –  Westminster, ENG10 October 2015
Really enjoyed the internship and wish it could've been longer. I learnt so much about how Britain's government works. I spend my time as a researcher mostly, writing briefs for the MP I was working with. I also was able to attend debates and meetings. The people I was working with were highly engaging and motivating and great all round.
Unique and educational abroad experience
British Parliamentary Intern (Former Employee) –  Westminster, London, England13 April 2015
A typical day at work consisted of note-taking at Select Health Committee meetings and at private meetings with lobbyists. Occasionally, I was allowed to sit in on the House of Commons. Weekly lessons lessons on Modern British political history were given to myself and other members of the program by a member of the House of Lords. I was given my own office space. Co-worker from the constituency office were industrious and motivated. I drafted Press Releases and Correspondences with constituents. It was a great experience. There was no unpleasant aspect other than not receiving a salary, but the experience itself should be worth it.
Pros
Subsidized lunches, Rare experience, Social gathering and networking events, historical tours and lessons from within Westminster Palace, Much independence
Cons
Unpaid, Far from home
Productive and fun work environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Westminster, ENG2 April 2015
Since this was only work experience I was not required to work the typical 9-5. On average I worked 10-4/5 which I found suited me very well.
I learnt how to perform basic administration which despite being slightly tedious, I learnt the basic skills that would be required for any office-based job.
My co-workers were extremely friendly and we all got on particularly well. The work environment was fun yet it was noticeable that all of my co-workers had a strong work ethic, which I greatly admired.
I did not find anything particularly hard in this job; some tasks were difficult but when they were explained I found them simple to complete.
I generally enjoyed the whole week of this job and felt much more mature when I had left.
Pros
I learnt how to overcome tasks I didnt know how to do
Cons
sometimes i didn't enjoy the tasks that I was set to do
educative
Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG19 February 2015
.During my work experience period, I have learned and developed several essential skills such as analytical skills, being able to approach issues from different angles
Hard work with some interesting experiencences
Pastry Commis Chef - Main Pastry Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Central London7 July 2014
A typical day started at 7.30, depending on what section I worked I would either bake the breakfast pastries or prepare the lunch dessert pots.

After breakfast, I would prepare ad hoc items either for lunch such as canapés, or desserts, ice creams for the main parliament dining room to be served during the evening service.

Other times I would prepare items for events either to be held during the week or weekend.

I was part of a team of six people, we rotated between the pastries and dessert sections.

Management style was very much self-management: We usually knew our day's prep assignments from various orders sheets. It was left up to us to organise ourselves.

The hardest part was the constance chatter of one woman, who considered it perfectly alright to share every aspect of her ongoing private life; from the dog mess on the streets of Prague to what she planned to create for the menu in her forthcoming new job. She was also rountinely abusive to another chef on our team, a very self-doubting person who peppered her conversation with "I don't know" while being a very informed, talented and skilled chef.

Knowing I had done all my prep to the highest standards.
Productive and well managed work place
part time administrator (work experience) (Former Employee) –  London, ENG14 May 2014
I started working at House of Commons during my time at secondary school it was apart of work experience.We were divided into groups and we were assigned to deliver postage,It allowed me to meet MPs and Lords.We then were assigned to co ordinate the meeting rooms with spring and still water.And we were placing barriers for the press and local political news channels.Then we to organise future meetings then the last part of the job was to assist the tour guides.It was a brilliant experience and the best part of it was you were all ways on call.The management was well structured ,each teams had a team manager who assigned every one to what job to complete and it was written out on the team board.The was not any difficulty in the job it was just very enjoyable.
Pros
free breakfast