Horsham District Council Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Aging workforce, lack of recognition
Previous Employment (Former Employee) –  Horsham7 August 2017
Pros: good work life balance, chilled environment

Cons: lack of recognition, failure to recruit retain and recognise younger employees. Very low entry level payment, toxic culture.
Helpful and a great place to explore ideas
Economic Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex15 July 2017
Helpful and a great place to explore ideas from a visual stand point.

allows communication with the local communiuty and a sense of purpose when compiling work.

Not a very competitive enviroment to work at, but still full of chanllenges which require cooperation from diffrent departments to solve.
Typical local Governmet culture
Admin Assistant Waste and Recycling Depot (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex7 June 2017
Good team work but senior management no engaged with employees. Good can do attitude from work force. Depot work is more interesting and varied than main offices.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Wages low
Excellent workplace
Cleansing Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex15 March 2017
An excellent place to work and lots of different things to do.

Collection of large rubbish items for taking to skip, dump. Also responsible for removing animal carcasses from highway as required.
The job also entailed having knowledge of COSHH and how to remove items soaked in body fluids.
Pros
Tips from customers when assistance provided
Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Horsham6 February 2017
I worked with HDC on a contract. I enjoyed the variety of work and dealing with the public in general. I found the changes made were quite drastic I went from meeting and greeting customers to looking out of a window at a brick wall when reception was disbanded and a contact centre set up.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Bad manager
Administration
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Horsham31 October 2016
Working at HDC is different every day.

I can be answering calls from customers ordering items such as bulky bags or new bins. Making sure the crew are doing their rounds correctly, arranging for missed collections. Sending out Contracts, waste transfer notes & direct debit mandates. Invoicing.
Pros
Excellent working hours
Cons
Boring
Not the best place to work for in the refuse service.
Loader (Current Employee) –  Horsham1 August 2016
Nothing really good about working in the refuse collection section of the council. Hours are long, rounds are rubbish and the day just drags on...

A typical day would be arriving at 5:30 to start your day at 6. You get in your lorry and start heading to your round and you just do that all day. Nothing else. Just go to the bins, set them up and walk along. Also because you have to help everyone else we never finish before finishing time which is 5pm because no one wants to help and get the day done. Breaks are just stupid and you only get 1 break for your 11 hour day. Pay was alright but not the best. I got £7.50 an hour which isn't the best but I wasn't a driver... Well I'll get to that in a sec.

Lorry's are constantly breaking down and staff are usually annoyed because the lorries have broken down and the staff are working. There's no fun in it. Just turn up do your round and go home. There's no inspiration or anything there. It just doesn't inspire me to work there.

Management are alright. Some just don't do nothing or will just tell you off for no reason. One person is alright though. Also since I passed my test they have constantly said that I will start driving and I've not had a single day driving. That's why I am moving jobs.

If you are over 45 and just want to get some money and that's it. Working here is brilliant and it passes the time quite fast.Other then that it's not a brilliant place to work for.
Pros
Always leave at 5pm regardless, can leave earlier if everyone works together.
Cons
Long Hours, No one helps out, No one works together, Backstabbers, lies, always stuck waiting for pods, no fun
Horsham District Council
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham20 November 2015
My typical day at work involved a mix of working closely with the office manager and also working independently on projects I had been assigned. On a daily basis I sorted through incoming post and organised outgoing post, answered the phones and took messages, updated and printed a clinical list for the crews collections and uploaded any new contracts as and when required. I was also given the task of creating several spreadsheets to record tonnages of waste collected over the past year. I enoyed the variety of this role as I helped out colleagues across the department in their different job roles. This was also a challenge in the sense that I was being given work and assignments by several people at the same time so I was required to manage my time well to ensure it was all completed on time and correctly.
Very high workload
Census Policy and Training Officer - Appeals (Former Employee) –  Horsham12 July 2012
I was dealing with housing benefit appeals. This included responding to letters, telephone calls and making decisions based on housing benefit regulations. I also prepared submissions for independent tribunal hearings and represented the local authority at the hearing. I dealt with the public on many occasions and I saw my job as trying to help the public with their appeals providing that it came within the government regulations. I also had periods when I checked my colleague's quality and accuracy of work that they had done. This was to ensure the quality and accuracy was correct for the housing benefit assessments.
Pros
helping people provided i was able to within the regulations i worked with.
Cons
very high workload. i was dealing with the appeals for 3 local authorities