Homebase Employee Reviews

Long time ago...weekend C/S worker
Weekend Supervisor/ Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dagenham Essex16 November 2017
Worked during my studies from college age 17 until i was 24! What i loved most about the job was colleagues(made great friends)Rewarding but stressful
Pros
Staff relationships and fun learning opportunities and some Managers were lovely.
Cons
Some bullying, political Management, over expectation but paying people peanuts e.g. MBNA store card targets etc
Going in the wrong direction
CAD Design Advisor - Showroom (Former Employee) –  Norwich10 November 2017
Homebase used to be an employee centred company , with real benefits and job satisfaction, however since the takeover by Bunnings the focus is now exclusvely on profit and i daresay employees are seen much more as an expendable resource, as demonstrated in the roles offered and oppurtunities given during the transition. There is also now absolutely no employee benefits such as comission, performance related bonuses, or shares schemes.
Pros
easy to balance work schedule
Cons
terrible ethos and direction
Nice colleagues
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Plymouth9 November 2017
Worked a long time for this company under various owners. Despite what some might say this company was always very customer focused...they never wanted to let even the most awkward customer down
Strength
Operations Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 November 2017
My job role made me strong in knowledge and character to advance and make a difference. To be up for a challenge and ready to push hours.

The most enjoyable part is the sincere dedicated support of my team.
Productive and interesting
assistant (Former Employee) –  Redruth6 November 2017
All in all it was a good experience to work at homebase it taught me new skills and I gained confidence and team building skills. It gave me a good opportunity work as part of a team.
Good place to work if you make yourself unseen
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  London2 November 2017
I only worked once a week, but i really didn't do much or learn much. I soon found out that if you weren't a target then you had an enjoyable time at work, but if you made a mistake then you'd be given TROUBLE for it without anyone hearing your side of the story. Some of the people were lovely, but the pay was DEFINITELY not worth it.
Was over 11 years ago
Staff member (Former Employee) –  Stroud2 November 2017
There was a good group of people to work with, it could be very quiet in the mornings but could always find something to do or clean.
Been a while since I worked there so a lot have changed since then.
Nice people and good enviornment
Customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  Loudwater, Buckinghamshire1 November 2017
I helped customer regarding products and services. I was in process of learning how to mix paint and learn new things about products around the shop. The workplace was a fun place to work and enjoyable as I always had new jobs to do and different challenges.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire27 October 2017
The atmosphere is fine, the job purely depends on the staff your working with. Management tended to be poor and quite unorganised at times. Can be quite stressful.
fun workplace
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent27 October 2017
great place to work, great to belong to a team that worked together to serve the customer to the best of their abilities and asking those who had more experience to deal with the customers needs.Everyday was different new challenges new goals old customers and new were always greeted with a smile. I learnt that to achieve your goals you need a great team behind you to be there to assist and bounce ideas off each other
productive
Warehouse Team Leader (Former Employee) –  westwood cross23 October 2017
I was team leader also night duty manager I worked with a team who I instructed to do tasks that fit within there job roles I was good at organizing completing tasks and help my team reach all there targets.
Pros
having responsibilty.
Cons
long hours/unsociable hours.
lots to learn
Customer Service Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield18 October 2017
really good management with a comfy uniform great benefits such as large discount in store and at others and pays really well to say its basically retail work
Pros
large disscount
Cons
have to have good product knolage
Very Repetitive
Sales floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Acton17 October 2017
Very boring, everyday was the same task and managers expect too much, always on your toes no time to just take a step back and relax there was issues with pay
Fun work place with good colleagues
Point of Sale Controller (Former Employee) –  west of scotland16 October 2017
A good retail company. decent flexible working hours. sometimes had difficulties getting correct equipment for certain jobs. Company social nights were good.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
difficult managers
Productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon12 October 2017
I loved working here, and made some friends.

I enjoyed the tills and stocking shelves and enjoyed making customers smile and return.

Would work there again.
Productive workplace with hard working staff, lots of products on offer ranging from paint to DIY tools.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London11 October 2017
Good store with good helpful staff, although it can be said that there aren't a lot of staff round on shop floor which makes it difficult for customers to seek help should they require it. System online i outdated and stock information shown on the website online is inaccurate to what the store actually has in stock.
A great place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex10 October 2017
My roles at Homebase consisted of customer assistance, carry outs, answering telephone enquiries, dressing aisles, price checking, stock replenishment, till operating, setting up new layouts and occasionally going out on deliveries.

There was a lot of emphasis on health and safety, customer service and all-round store cleanliness. Working here has given me confidence, taught me how to act in a working environment and greatly improved my communication skills.
Pros
Learned a lot, all staff are friendly
Cons
Can sometimes be demanding
Good place to start working career
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Essex9 October 2017
It was a good place to start with a first job because I have learnt a lot about diy and other useful knowledge during my time there but it's time to take a step further
Pros
Knowledge I've learnt
Cons
Working every weekend
poor staff management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire7 October 2017
staff management is not a priority and when issues arise within the store on a staff level it is not followed up nor does the management team take extra care when dealing with sensitive situations.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
shift patterns
Lots of work to do
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire4 October 2017
This job is the same everyday pretty much you do the same and same all over again, but yet this is an agency job so they tell you when you are coming in or not coming in. this is quite unfair really because people out their are looking for full time jobs yet we are stuck with this. you load pallets with goods from instore and you put them into the correct bays for the lorry to be loaded and they can be shipped out
Pros
Cons
no cigaretts breaks, not allowed to smoke whilst on your break anyway

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homebase. Our community is ready to answer.