Holland & Barrett Employee Reviews

Enjoyable experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morden, Greater London17 October 2017
Job involved loading deliveries weekly and generally keeping stock replenished on the shop floor. I learnt a lot from my manager about health food and supplements and was able to relay that to customer.
rubbish
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wallasey11 October 2017
The worst place I have ever worked. They have no understanding of their employees at all and do not help when help is needed. I had the worst time there.
Pros
Cons
taken for granted
High expectations low pay
Store Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry10 October 2017
I used to enjoy working for Holland and Barrett for the first few months, as i had to move and get a transfer to other side of the country I found the new management was terrible and she was never talking to the staff only when the area manager was there.
Poorly pay for the expectations and hard work, also no chance for overtime only if someone is on holiday. Commision is based on costumers reviews which i don't see it fairly.
You don't feel valued and useful for the company.
Pros
discount
Cons
no hours, poorly pay
Terrible management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braintree, Essex9 October 2017
When I started I had a great manager but after she left I was bounced from manager to manager, messed around with my hours and when I made a serious complaint about some inappropriate behaviour nothing was done. I was asked to lone trade while under age and never had noticed of my hours changing.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Terrible management
A good company to work with
Presenter and Producer (Former Employee) –  London26 September 2017
This was a good company to work with on producing vegan recipe content for their youtube channel. They are a household name so that helps when mentioning this job to future employers
decent pay
Weekend Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London24 September 2017
good pay and training provided was excellent. however slowly company was going downhills with regards to pay and keeping their employees happy. commission system was changed where some months you would risk not getting any commission at all due to 'poor' performance.
great loyal staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland21 September 2017
lone working is a major part of your job at holland and barrett. it was getting too much to take to be perfectly honest and dangerous at times with cash and shoplifters.
Nice atmosphere. Health shop.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire20 September 2017
A lot of hard training but worth it.
Helping and advising customers on products
Learn a lot about health and body
A very friendly place to work
Staff are very welcoming and friendly
Pros
Having knowledge on health and body
Cons
A lot of training and tests
Great work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire4 September 2017
A great company to work for with many benefits such as qualifications in minerals and vitamins and the application of minerals, vitamins and supplements.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not the best pay
good energy
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire4 September 2017
I had a really good time as a supervisor at holland and barrett. It was a challenging and energetic place to work. The managers were always very friendly.
Pros
free training
Cons
understaffed
Very productive, but very busy
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London2 September 2017
You really do learn a lot about health benefits as well as what each health products do and what their good for. You as a staff, also get a 25% off discount towards your shopping at H&B. However, the job is very demanding as you have to always meet customer needs on shop floor, and could get very very busy.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Long hours and very busy
Fairly good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire29 August 2017
Good staff, low wages, unfortunate management but great area manager. Good place to learn but a lot to learn and difficult hours. Minimum wages with little commission.
Pros
Learn a kit
Cons
Pay
Interesting place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 August 2017
Stable job with good hours to fit around school/college/education. Work tends to be relaxed, you learn a lot although the training process is overly thorough and the management was decent although sometimes unreasonable.
Pros
Good staff, decent management, you learn a lot
Cons
Lone work, Annoying customers
interesting retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent25 August 2017
The only downside to this job was the training, I was given the option of 2 places to attend the training for my induction both over 2 hours away. The travel and costs are refunded but I feel there would be better ways of training staff in store rather than being on a course in classroom environments. The training itself is really interesting and is equal to Alevels.
Having strong managers to train a strong team would be a better investment of the company's time and money.
The job itself was really enjoyable, I enjoyed the team I worked with and the knowledge I gained really helped people which feels great.
Pros
Commission, Staff Discount, free magazine, reputable company
Cons
Training methods.
Not the best
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Whiteley22 August 2017
The job I had was horrible.
Because you are giving an alternative to medicines you have to be very knowledgable, you have to take several tests which are compulsory and you have to retake them even when you fail. you get given a two large books and a test paper to fill out with the help of the books, then you have to sit a timed exam which you are supposed to answer the questions from the books.
Many of the people that come into Holland & Barrett act as though the staff are supposed to be doctors, staff are not treated nicely by customers on a daily basis.
The atmosphere is necessarily stressful however, be prepared to deal with horrible customers.
Can be stressful
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire19 August 2017
Working for the company has its advantages, for example the majority of people you work with are really friendly and easy to get along with, and the training you receive for the product knowledge is really good too. Staff discount is also good (25% off then at Christmas the discount is 50%). The only disadvantages would be the long hours (depending on the store), and the treatment of the area managers. I am a 19 year old girl and I have been with the company since May 2016, and the area manager has always been very rude and patronizing, mainly because of my age, due to the fact he is a lot older than me.
Pros
Friendly collegues
Cons
Long Hours, Area Manager
A job; not a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland14 August 2017
Although the company promises advancement, there are rarely opportunities for true advancement, with respect to salary increases etc. The management structure reminded me of a pyramid scheme, and the endless amendments to product sales guidelines made the work-plan very unstable, day-to-day.
Alright Job!
Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 August 2017
You do learn some brilliant things while working at Holland and Barrett! my product knowledge soared when I worked here! Nice easy shifts - sometimes! unless someone is off lol!
Pros
Commission each month
Cons
Not much appriciation.
Relaxed and friendly
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey8 August 2017
My work experience at Holland and Barrett was outstanding.
I learned the importance of customer service, team work, communication .
My colleagues and I made a great friendly team who cooperated with the manager and thus I enjoyed my work environment whilst being efficient.
A benifical place to work
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire8 August 2017
A lot of knowledge and dedication needed for this job role. Building trust with customers is key as they look at us for help and information with health issues.
Pros
Commisson
Cons
Unrealiable hours