HMV Employee Reviews

Relaxing place to work. Ideal for those interested in movies, music etc
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter18 October 2017
HMV is a great place for those who enjoy retail, face to face interactions with people. Being able to share your interest in movies and music with customers was a benefit to the job, since it made you day go in faster. Management was fine and the pay was as expected.
Pros
Good relaxed work place
Cons
Little room for advancement
Fun and interesting workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole13 October 2017
Following the schedule for the day going to various parts of the shop at different points in the day. Placed at the door you would be in charge of greeting the customers when they entered the shop and seeing how they feel when they leave the shop as to ascertain whether or not they would return. Placed at the tills is the more important at Christmas based jobs due to the high volume of customers you would get in a day, there you must serve them at the tills to scan their DVDs, games or clothes, remove electronic tags and push other products on sale in the shop. Finally the other thing to do during the shift is to walk around the shop floor, checking in on customers and what they're looking for, asking if they need help and to keep an eye out for people who might be trying to steal products
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
only contacted position
Fun place
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlands4 October 2017
Best job I had until they made loss prevention redundant very fun pleasant and rewarding job miss it stock taking talking to customers playing new technology and catching shoplifters great job all round and store manager was ace
Pros
Good working hours busy job
Cons
Not enough break time
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire2 October 2017
The staff are great to work with, they make the working environment fun. Great overall experience working there. All staff members were extremely helpful when unsure in a task.
Great job except the management
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall28 September 2017
Great co workers, personally rewarding job (customers thank you weeks after recommendations) only down side is the management seemed disconnected from the staff/ problems we had seemed to be given a "well just deal with it" attitude. otherwise a great place to work for.
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 September 2017
A typical day involved serving customers, handling stock and organising the upcoming week's visual new release. I learned how to manage my time effectively, teach skills to fellow colleagues and how to complete tasks in a team and by myself. Management were always willing to help me when stuck and to encourage me on achievements. The most enjoyable elements of the job were my colleagues and the customers. The worst aspects were the rude customers and having to work faster when the store was short staffed.
Pros
Discounts in store and the shopping centre, tastecard membership, prizes for achieving personal targets
Cons
Periods when the store was short staffed
This was work experience organised by my school
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford21 September 2017
This job was everything I could of asked for, working with music and technology and dealing with customers in the same age group as me and customers who had the same taste in music, games, movies etc. However this job was purely temporary and without pay due to it being work experience.
I stayed for the friends I made there.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 September 2017
I had worked at HMV for 3 years. Every year, there were more and more cuts, meaning year on year there was more pressure put onto the members of staff that do work there. Head office have no idea what it's like having to cope with such short staff and a thousand and one things to do - They're too busy getting free stuff from all the companies we deal with whilst us members of staff in the store, doing the hard work, are left with nothing.
Pros
Staff discount and generally good colleagues.
Cons
Staffing issues mean you're always run off your feet, often bad managing practices.
Great job - Great culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry City Centre, West Midlands5 September 2017
Typical day would be getting to the store early to ensure everything was in place for the day ahead.

Allocate areas to the staff to ensure all areas were covered

provide cover for lunchbreaks

help process the daily deliveries and ensure the stock went out in a timely manner

meet with representatives from record companies.

ensure all the takings were tallied up at the end of the day and report to head office if required.

Balancing the difference between being the boss and friendship was the hardest part.

keeping the public happy and doing a job you loved were the best part
Pros
Goods Discounts and Benefits
Cons
Working Weekends
Nice place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of Belfast, County Antrim21 August 2017
Nice place to work good place to learn your trade, good perks, good hours, good management team, great working environment, great building a good relationship with loyal customers
Great colleagues
PART TIME SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames30 July 2017
A typical day at work consists of serving customers, selling loyalty cards & replenishing stock.

The workplace culture is fun with a lot of like minded people.
Pros
Getting to listen to different types of music
Cons
Bad management, uncertain future
fun and easy going workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 July 2017
Whilst working here I thoroughly enjoyed the calm, easy going atmosphere throughout the day. I liked meeting new people and enjoyed helping customers when they needed assistance. I would highly recommend this role.
Pros
easy hours
Cons
long distance
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill28 July 2017
This gave me a real idea what the world of work is like in retail. Most days it was busy, but I worked with a friendly, quick-paced team. What I enjoyed about this job was that I got to work with a good team and I managed to get the work done because I had a lot of interest in it.

I would defiantly recommend if you can manage to work in a busy environment, as well as having an interest in the stores products.
Pros
I would receive help with no problem if I had any difficulties
Cons
Long hours in a busy enviroment
really enjoyed
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 July 2017
really enjoyed, met great people, nice genuine managers, overall good place, enjoyed and would recommend, could improve with job security and break times
Pros
paid every two weeks
Cons
was only xmas temp
Amazing work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton16 July 2017
Working in HMV was a pleasure, the people who work there are all amazing to work and get along with, they're all easy to get along with, everyone works together in a team well and are just all amazing to work with
Pros
Full of nice people
Easy and fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 July 2017
Working at Christmas time was very busy but thanks to being part of a great team this was not a problem. Management were very approachable/ friendly and helpful with anything that was brought up.
Pros
great discounts at HMV
Cons
was very busy at Christmas
Great fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling5 July 2017
Great management team, entertaining work environment. All employees were great fun to work with and made you feel welcome. Would definitely recommend applying for a job.
Fun
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Lancaster27 June 2017
HMV was a cracking little company to work for. The days flew past with good music and a cracking little team of people that would always go the extra mile for the customer.
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green17 June 2017
a good work environment I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in a lot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Repetitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe15 June 2017
As hmv only had a few store's left within the UK, it's not really fair of me to judge the remaining stores as I have had some very positive experience's shopping at these few stores. I'm sure that these remaining stores have better work habits and opportunities then when I worked at hmv.