HMV Employee Reviews

great
Customer (Former Employee) –  Tamworth16 January 2018
HMV was a great company to work for, seeing all the new releases and having pride of seeing people walk in and purchase something they have being waiting for.

the team were fantastic aswell as management
Pros
wages and discount
Cons
staffing levels and progression
Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire14 January 2018
The shifts were fantastic and never felt like they had dragged; the team to work with were a pleasure. I can't say there was a hardest part of the job as each thing I found challenging was something I worked long and hard on. Each moment was enjoyable and management was fantastic.
Pros
enjoyable job, fantastic team
Great Christmas Job
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent11 January 2018
I loved working at HMV Over the Christmas Period. A typical day involved working behind the till, upselling Pure Hmv cards and performing stock duties later in the day when it was quiet. Initially my Christmas contract was extended for a bit longer because of my enthusiasm and level of customer service. Managers are sound if you put the work in. 99% of the customers are great too.
Pros
Sound Management, Easy Job, Good if you like Movies/ Tv/ Music and Games
Cons
If I am being picky the most challenging part of the job was not wasting my wages on dvd boxsets :)
Great fun, nice managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire7 January 2018
It's good fun but be prepared to learn fast to know where to find a product. The till systems are good to use. My management were great! They arranged my timetable around my studies. I was only a Christmas temp and they don't keep temps on but you are in line for further recruitment. I would go back if given the chance. Lovely co-workers, nice discount.
Pros
Staff discount, nice managers and colleagues
Cons
They can't keep xmas staff on sadly as not enough demand
Fun place to work, but there's neither full-time nor permanent positions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
I worked at HMV as a temp for 2016 Christmas period. There was the promise that they would chose 2 of the temps to become permanent. Nobody was chosen. It's only a way of making people work hard until the very end of the contract, and then "good bye".
Pros
Fun
Cons
Impossibility to progress
Active and enjoyable place to work.
Head cashier/stockroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Guernsey, Guernsey29 December 2017
Mostly busy, worked in the cash office and stock room, always had something to do. Worked along side like minded people and had loads of fun inside and outside of work.
Pros
Got to listen to new release cds.
Cons
Sometimes the lift would break down.
Fun and Straight Forward
Seasonal Stockroom Temp (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire27 December 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with HMV, working in the stockroom to help get the stock down to the shop floor in the correct manner but also having a laugh with the other staff. The staff in HMV East Kilbride made me feel welcome and helped me with any queries I had during the job. The staff are treated fairly and equally by the management and I would happily work for them again.
Pros
New Friends, Good Hours, Great Envornment
Cons
Flawless
Wonderful environment
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear20 December 2017
All the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. They were very friendly and didn't treat the temps any different from other workers. Loved working there.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Short contract
Fun workplace with the right team
Management (Current Employee) –  Wales15 December 2017
A huge part of the reason I've worked here for so long is that every team I've worked with have been amazing - I've met lifelong friends through this company.

You get back what you put in - work hard and you'll reap the benefits
Pros
good discount, excellent teams, regional manager
Cons
unpredictable hours (especially at peak trading time), expected to work unpaid overtime especially at management level
Very fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livingston12 December 2017
Over christmas period the shop was always busy as you would expect. Staff all friendly and very close. Work well together. Management very good and easy to talk to.
fun place to work
Part time Christmas sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire23 November 2017
generally a good place to work. fun family environment good work benefits and friendly staff members. it is a good place to try and get a job if you enjoy being busy.
Fun place to work, but lots of pressure
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London10 November 2017
Hmv is a good place to work, the management is very good and alot of the staff are kind and friendly but once you start working you realise the store only cares about a couple of things, up selling customers, pure cards and reviews. from the first day I started the staff where already pressuring me into making sure I get as many of those 3 things as possible, and alot of the time they get angry at you if you forget to offer the customers those things, it can be a fun place to work but if you are going to apply for here get ready for high amounts of pressure towards milking every customer out of money.
Pros
Good management, friendly staff
Cons
High pressure from day one
Relaxing place to work. Ideal for those interested in movies, music etc
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter18 October 2017
HMV is a great place for those who enjoy retail, face to face interactions with people. Being able to share your interest in movies and music with customers was a benefit to the job, since it made you day go in faster. Management was fine and the pay was as expected.
Pros
Good relaxed work place
Cons
Little room for advancement
Fun and interesting workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole13 October 2017
Following the schedule for the day going to various parts of the shop at different points in the day. Placed at the door you would be in charge of greeting the customers when they entered the shop and seeing how they feel when they leave the shop as to ascertain whether or not they would return. Placed at the tills is the more important at Christmas based jobs due to the high volume of customers you would get in a day, there you must serve them at the tills to scan their DVDs, games or clothes, remove electronic tags and push other products on sale in the shop. Finally the other thing to do during the shift is to walk around the shop floor, checking in on customers and what they're looking for, asking if they need help and to keep an eye out for people who might be trying to steal products
Pros
Fun enviroment
Cons
only contacted position
Fun place
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlands4 October 2017
Best job I had until they made loss prevention redundant very fun pleasant and rewarding job miss it stock taking talking to customers playing new technology and catching shoplifters great job all round and store manager was ace
Pros
Good working hours busy job
Cons
Not enough break time
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire2 October 2017
The staff are great to work with, they make the working environment fun. Great overall experience working there. All staff members were extremely helpful when unsure in a task.
Great job except the management
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall28 September 2017
Great co workers, personally rewarding job (customers thank you weeks after recommendations) only down side is the management seemed disconnected from the staff/ problems we had seemed to be given a "well just deal with it" attitude. otherwise a great place to work for.
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London23 September 2017
A typical day involved serving customers, handling stock and organising the upcoming week's visual new release. I learned how to manage my time effectively, teach skills to fellow colleagues and how to complete tasks in a team and by myself. Management were always willing to help me when stuck and to encourage me on achievements. The most enjoyable elements of the job were my colleagues and the customers. The worst aspects were the rude customers and having to work faster when the store was short staffed.
Pros
Discounts in store and the shopping centre, tastecard membership, prizes for achieving personal targets
Cons
Periods when the store was short staffed
This was work experience organised by my school
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford21 September 2017
This job was everything I could of asked for, working with music and technology and dealing with customers in the same age group as me and customers who had the same taste in music, games, movies etc. However this job was purely temporary and without pay due to it being work experience.
I stayed for the friends I made there.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 September 2017
I had worked at HMV for 3 years. Every year, there were more and more cuts, meaning year on year there was more pressure put onto the members of staff that do work there. Head office have no idea what it's like having to cope with such short staff and a thousand and one things to do - They're too busy getting free stuff from all the companies we deal with whilst us members of staff in the store, doing the hard work, are left with nothing.
Pros
Staff discount and generally good colleagues.
Cons
Staffing issues mean you're always run off your feet, often bad managing practices.