HMV Employee Reviews

This was work experience organised by my school
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford21 September 2017
This job was everything I could of asked for, working with music and technology and dealing with customers in the same age group as me and customers who had the same taste in music, games, movies etc. However this job was purely temporary and without pay due to it being work experience.
I stayed for the friends I made there.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 September 2017
I had worked at HMV for 3 years. Every year, there were more and more cuts, meaning year on year there was more pressure put onto the members of staff that do work there. Head office have no idea what it's like having to cope with such short staff and a thousand and one things to do - They're too busy getting free stuff from all the companies we deal with whilst us members of staff in the store, doing the hard work, are left with nothing.
Pros
Staff discount and generally good colleagues.
Cons
Staffing issues mean you're always run off your feet, often bad managing practices.
Great job - Great culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry City Centre, West Midlands5 September 2017
Typical day would be getting to the store early to ensure everything was in place for the day ahead.

Allocate areas to the staff to ensure all areas were covered

provide cover for lunchbreaks

help process the daily deliveries and ensure the stock went out in a timely manner

meet with representatives from record companies.

ensure all the takings were tallied up at the end of the day and report to head office if required.

Balancing the difference between being the boss and friendship was the hardest part.

keeping the public happy and doing a job you loved were the best part
Pros
Goods Discounts and Benefits
Cons
Working Weekends
Don't bother unless you're 12
Should have been sales (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire28 August 2017
They do not employ older females at all! That's rubbish so if you're over 35 don't bother, all they want is kids, or students!! Change your advert HMV because you're misleading people, whom you've no intention of employing!!
Pros
Don't know didnt get a chance to start
Cons
They lie in their job advert
Nice place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of Belfast, County Antrim21 August 2017
Nice place to work good place to learn your trade, good perks, good hours, good management team, great working environment, great building a good relationship with loyal customers
Great colleagues
PART TIME SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames30 July 2017
A typical day at work consists of serving customers, selling loyalty cards & replenishing stock.

The workplace culture is fun with a lot of like minded people.
Pros
Getting to listen to different types of music
Cons
Bad management, uncertain future
fun and easy going workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 July 2017
Whilst working here I thoroughly enjoyed the calm, easy going atmosphere throughout the day. I liked meeting new people and enjoyed helping customers when they needed assistance. I would highly recommend this role.
Pros
easy hours
Cons
long distance
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill28 July 2017
This gave me a real idea what the world of work is like in retail. Most days it was busy, but I worked with a friendly, quick-paced team. What I enjoyed about this job was that I got to work with a good team and I managed to get the work done because I had a lot of interest in it.

I would defiantly recommend if you can manage to work in a busy environment, as well as having an interest in the stores products.
Pros
I would receive help with no problem if I had any difficulties
Cons
Long hours in a busy enviroment
really enjoyed
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire22 July 2017
really enjoyed, met great people, nice genuine managers, overall good place, enjoyed and would recommend, could improve with job security and break times
Pros
paid every two weeks
Cons
was only xmas temp
Amazing work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton16 July 2017
Working in HMV was a pleasure, the people who work there are all amazing to work and get along with, they're all easy to get along with, everyone works together in a team well and are just all amazing to work with
Pros
Full of nice people

Want to know more about HMV?

Ask a question
Easy and fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 July 2017
Working at Christmas time was very busy but thanks to being part of a great team this was not a problem. Management were very approachable/ friendly and helpful with anything that was brought up.
Pros
great discounts at HMV
Cons
was very busy at Christmas
Great fun
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling5 July 2017
Great management team, entertaining work environment. All employees were great fun to work with and made you feel welcome. Would definitely recommend applying for a job.
Fun
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Lancaster27 June 2017
HMV was a cracking little company to work for. The days flew past with good music and a cracking little team of people that would always go the extra mile for the customer.
Decent workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wood Green17 June 2017
a good work environment I only worked here for a short period but in that time i enjoyed the work. Nights at Christmas were long but well paid. The company itself has been through many tough patches and is still in a lot of debt so job security may be an issue.
Repetitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe15 June 2017
As hmv only had a few store's left within the UK, it's not really fair of me to judge the remaining stores as I have had some very positive experience's shopping at these few stores. I'm sure that these remaining stores have better work habits and opportunities then when I worked at hmv.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth City Centre, Devon13 June 2017
I had a lovely time working at HMV, the people are all lovely it is like one big happy family. I just wish I could have stayed longer but unfortunately there wasn't another contract with the hours I needed. If I could work there again I would in a heartbeat.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
not enough hours to work
Christmas Temp
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire13 June 2017
Worked at HMV over Christmas period. I was treated well and liked working there with other students. Management were nice and i got on well with everyone. I got paid 5.30 an hour as a 20 year old student its not really much.
fun workplace
STOCKROOM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  WANDSWORTH, UK12 June 2017
This was for my year 10 work experience, my first time in the field. Worked with another friend which had more experience than me, he helped me understand what was required of me during the shifts.
Awful pay, nasty managers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire12 June 2017
Managers were nasty and rude and made me hate coming to work everyday. The pay was ridiculously low and discount was laughable. Hated working here and I will never buy from them as a customer again as I hate the environment now.
Very productive, great atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire12 June 2017
My first job and my best job. It was great being able to talk to customers and advise them on something that you are passionate about and something that you enjoy.