Hertfordshire County Council Employee Reviews

Very profesional organisation
General Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire29 August 2017
I have worked for hertfordshire county council through multiple jobs:
First i volunteered for seven years in my local community.

I worked for hertfordshire county catering in a school kitchen for four years.

And i am currently working in kingsway infant school as a learning mentor.
Review Summary
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire18 August 2017
It is an ok place to work, the work culture is dependent on many variables including colleagues. The remuneration is not the greatest but this is compensated by some of the benefits.
nice working enviroment good managers
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire9 August 2017
I worked with adults with learning disabilities in a day service setting supporting with various activities the team was good and the service users appeared happy and content most of the time
Far too relaxed
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hertford, Hertfordshire3 August 2017
Some great people and managers but too lax. No clear progression inside your team and often told to look elsewhere to move up. Shame because it could be a great environment.
Pros
Relaxed and work-life balance is great.
Cons
Feels a bit dead-end.
Supportive Culture
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheshunt, Hertfordshire20 May 2017
Good supportive environment. Good CPD opportunities. Good communication. Easy access and good parking. Problems encountered are due to budgetary controls.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Budgetary constraints
Very Helpful
Bilingual Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire7 April 2017
Flexible and fair. Interview was pleasant and council provided a very good course in Stevenage to fully prepare for the Bilingual teacher assistant job.
good
Day Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire5 April 2017
working for the council is very rewarding, there are a lot of pros and not many cons. I have had opportunities to take part in courses and regularly get put on training courses.
Great place to q
HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire4 April 2017
Great management, excellent flexible working options. Great work environment. Plenty of opportunity to become involved in great project work. Fantastic team to work with.
Not too bad
Licensing Officer (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire11 March 2017
Company is well located close to transport links, there are many benefits with working with the company.

Many internal vacancies and chances to work with other teams to gain and insite to other services.
Great if you have kids, very flexible
Senior Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Stevenage13 February 2017
Good place to work, great smart working tools to enable working from other sites easily, and working ftom home in emergencies.

Great learning opportunities.
Excellent
Admin Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire27 January 2017
Enjoyable workplace and I learnt a lot about Social work and its inner workings. I was able to pick up additional skills and build a better approach to working in busy and demanding environment.
good company to work for
Day services instructor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire9 January 2017
having not worked for hertfordshire county council for over 20 years i feel that my experiance is no longer up to date or vallied
Rewarding productive workplace
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire5 January 2017
Good work life balance . Salary / benefits could be reviewed , Job security No Advancement at present. Management structure unclear Job culture structured
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Benefits of the job
It can be great, but poor management
Youth Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire2 January 2017
Being a youth support worker, no day is ever the same. It is such a rewarding job, and I absolutely love it. Fellow staff mem are supportive, and we do a fantastic job.

However, there is poor management. Management cut projects, and then do not make any provision for your hours which you have lost. Then they say they want to cut your hours because they can't find another project for you to do, which then causes unbelievable stress because your income has been reduced, and you feel that the work you are doing is not valued.

Some districts are good because they have regular staff meetings with part time workers which management attend. Other districts don't have regular staff meetings, and management avoids at all costs.

Overall, it can be a lovely place work, if you have great leadership from management.
Pros
Training, Discounts, Other Staff
Cons
Management, Project Cut, Long Hours with no break (NCS)
Trainee Course
Traniee Level 1 Health and Social Care in Adults (Former Employee) –  Stevenage12 December 2016
The HCC traineeship I previously done was interesting, it helped me grow as a person and taught me a lot about people with learning and physical disabilities. A typical day would be doing activities with clients and helping with lunches.
The hardest part of the job was getting emotionally attached to the clients, but the most enjoyable was knowing that you were helping and they were learning and so was you.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
Emotional attachment
Upbeat forward thinking place, great teamwork
Primary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Goffs Oak, Hertfordshire7 December 2016
Loved the school, loved the kids, loved the staff. Wish I could have stayed longer. Wonderful atmosphere and a fab place for children to grow in.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
Hertfordshire is a good authority to work for
Senior Social Worker Children's Services (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire18 October 2016
I have enjoyed my time in Hertfordshire but it is now time for me to make changes. I would be happy to remain working within Hertfordshire however, my future is in Cornwall therefore I need to leave and go to pasture new.
Pros
Supportive teams car lease scheme and market forces payments yearly
Cons
Long hours on occassions
Temporary employment
Com (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead16 October 2016
It's a long time ago that I worked here.

I was going through a divorce at the time so it was very helpful in getting me back in the work setting.

Salary was helpful but kept secret as everyone was on different salary scales.

Work was good. Staff in general friendly.
A Home County pioneering Council, innovative and supportive
Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hertford27 September 2016
Market leaders in many of the Government's initiatives, with HCC being used on many occasions to pilot various projects. They are not complacent and look and work hard at how they can keep staff motivated amidst austerity cuts.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Austerity cuts means less people to do the same or more work
public service with all the pros and cons that entails
Part-time Stock and Reader Development Librarian (Former Employee) –  Hertfordsh4 April 2016
A public service expectation that you will do more for less.
somewhat rigid in its expectations. Offers good training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hertfordshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2