Helping Hands Employee Reviews

Profit prioritised over quality of care
carer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Carers come last, long hours, most of it driving around, 30 mins to do a call you need at least an hour for (typical with this sort of work however), measly mileage paid. NOT flexible hours at all. You are the one required to be flexible not them. As all carers say the only reason you do it is for the lovely people you visit in their homes.
Pros
the customers
Cons
everything else
Nice
Live in carer (Current Employee) –  England16 November 2017
The training week is in their main office which is located in Warwickshire. The staff are amazing and are very helpful.

You are then assigned to a customer who will look at your profile and accept you to be their carer.

All travel expenses are paid for eg. traveling by train to a customers house

Any problems regarding anything with your work you can contact the office phones or you are also given out of hours numbers
Pros
independant
Official response from Helping Hands
8 December 2017

Hello and thank you for your kind comments. We are really pleased to hear that you are receiving the high standard of support that we expect.

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

Official response from Helping Hands
8 December 2017

Welcome to the team - it's great to have you on board!

Very disappointing....
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 November 2017
To start off - the training was very well prepared and enjoyable and the people had great knowledge. Thank you :)
The rest unfortunately one big joke! Starting from the guys matching you with jobs to the coordinators and mangers. Very rude and unproffesional approach, no support while on the placement and it takes literally forever to get a reply! It's a real shame that nobody cares about the employees and customers. They all just want to push you on placement so that they can get money and don't care about the rest. Avoid if you can :)
Pros
Pay on time
Cons
Longer hours than they say, pay not that great, false placement information, no support for live in carers.....
Say all the right words prior to starting but a whole different ball game once employed
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Essex25 October 2017
Very clicky and like to put down staff members behind their backs. Support is never offered but is there if necessary and very much a draconian approach.
I found top management two faced, and they like to feed back EVERYTHING to the CEO which I found childish and made you feel like you were worth very little.
Most enjoyable past of the job was going home and they are too KPI focused. I wouldn't recommend personally as they do expect far too much from those on the front line.
Pros
Not many.
Cons
Mileage is terrible, wages aren't as good as they state against other domcare companies.
Management poor, not looking after their workers.
Live in Care Worker (Former Employee) –  UK3 October 2017
Caregivers were left on their own without support from managers.
Ill matched with clients.
Transport always paid promptly and so were wages and other expenses.
Pros
prompt payment, transport paid by company.
Poor management and communication
Live-in Carer (Current Employee) –  All over the Uk20 September 2017
Management struggles to deal with the smallest requirements/issues raised.
Poorly communicated with the live-in carers.
Pick and choose what and who they reply to.
The job is enjoyable but can be stressful and emotionally challenging.
Pros
Pay and working with the customers
Cons
Management and communication
Supporting and friendly
Hourly support worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 September 2017
As a new employee to Helping Hands I have found the company to be very supporting, friendly and thorough in their approach to new members of staff. Their focus is on ensuring each service user is treated as an individual.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
No travel allowence
Postive all roumd experience.
Hourly care worker. (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire31 August 2017
From Interview to training a positive experience. Direct manager approachable and keen to keep lines of communication open. Training was enjoyable and relevant and left you wanting to achieve.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
None as yet.
Professional
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard18 August 2017
I have enjoyed my work with them very much so and hope to continue to work with them in the future because the work which they do is unrivalled and invaluable to our community
care worker
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester18 August 2017
enjoyed my job with helping hands working with people and caring for them but unfortanllly the management team wasn't ver good and expected to only be with a client for a short period of time, where as I believe a lot of the client just want a little chat as they were lonely and enjoyed having someone come and visit them. I tried my hardest not to rush with my duties but still felt like I was always beng rushed.
good place to work
hourly carer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk16 August 2017
really enjoyed working for helping hands visiting customers in their homes and helping their day to be a bit better. This including having a chat, assisting with personal care, domestic chores, meals and dinks.
Pros
good pay
Cons
travelling times
Extremely rewarding
Home Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex12 August 2017
Extremely rewarding, great business management, flexible around my life but involves α huge amount of punctuality as the clients are completely reliant on you.
Pros
Great hourly rates
Cons
Preferably mobile
good
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire9 August 2017
helping hands was good offering temp work around my children growing up I worked with the elderly supporting them in their own homes helped with cleaning cooking went out shopping and some with personal care
Hard work but rewarding.
Live in carer (Former Employee) –  all of the UK26 July 2017
Helping Hands is very contious of people's vulnerability and so they train their staff to a very high standard. most of its workers are live in carers that are trained in health and safety and moving and handling as well as other skills necessary to ensure the comfortable care of a customer.
a typical day at work would be assisting the client out of bed. help with all hygene routines and getting dressed. Make breakfast, prompt medication ,if aplicable and get client comfortable. then do the cleaning up and making of beds and sorting clothes for washing. arrange shopping and other daily meals.
Management is always available to assist in any query one may have.

The hardest part of this job is being away from your own family for weeks at a time but the most enjoyable is that you get to meet such wonderful and interesting people.
Pros
you are able to save money as all your food and water and electrisity is free while living in.
Cons
the long hours one sometimes has to work.
Seems all one sided
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Worthing and surrounding area18 July 2017
Although Helping Hands advertise a good rate of pay,
In reality it's not that great. The travel/ mileage allowance is the lowest in the area and the calls we are given are geographically impractical. All in all, I'm going to have to throw in the towel as it's not economical to continue. Training and shadow shifts are not paid and the DBS is reclaimed in the first two pay days. Also, business insurance needs to be added to car insurance costing money . Overall, this makes a bit of a mockery of the £100 bonus paid in the first month.
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Drive all over, lots to pay out in early days, split calls so you're really working 'all day'
Bad company to work for
Carer (Former Employee) –  farham13 July 2017
I applied for a job there as i wanted night work. It took them three months to even get me any nights as they had none (false advertising) kept asking me to do days. Eventually got me three nights a week for a lovely lady who sadly had to go into a home. After telling me i was on £10 per hour only got paid £6.50 for 150 hours work i had done. When i rang to question this,the manger told me i was silly for not reading my contract.It stated set rate for night work to be discussed with manager only discussion i had was when i joined the company and signed my contract stating the agreed £10 per hour. Bad communication ,Bad management,Bad ethics,False advertising. I no longer work for the company and feel like i have wasted a lot of time doing training which i never got paid for either.
Pros
Cons
always ringing, No work phone, Bad managment
don't believe the adds they post.
C (Former Employee) –  london10 July 2017
Terrible company and completely unorganized company, I would stay away. Unprofessional managers ..... They have a bad reputation.Don't believe the adds they post.
Awful management
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire27 June 2017
Warrington branch managed terribly. Not very friendly or have the social skills they exptyou to have as an employee.
Found myself more qualified than them.
Pros
Hourly rate not as bad as some companies
Cons
Awful line managers
Good company
Carer (Former Employee) –  united Kingdom6 June 2017
Good company, with a good staff.Busy day with a lot of tasks. Helping with personal hygiene and with everything related with the house, food, money and personal life.
The client was tetraplegic, so this was the hardest part. The most enjoyable part was the client is a excellent and amazing person.
Pros
Client
Cons
Salary
Good place to get some experience
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  London2 June 2017
This was only a work placement from jobcenter in order for me to get utilise my exisiting skills and experince. I was very grateful for the opportunity.
Pros
Good friendly environment
Cons
That it didnt lead to full time employment.