HCR ManorCare Employee Reviews

Under paid
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire7 December 2017
Always under staff they always call for work even you are off.
You get minimum paid they do t have enhancement at night and weekend. Only bank holiday they will give you plus. So paid is really low compare to another’s care home or hospital.
Work was hard. I felt really tired and bad for the residence as they don’t do enough care and treat for them.
Wasn't the correct place for me
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heywood15 August 2017
I loved the care side it was the best, but some of the staff made it hard to stay there, the management have their favourites and it shows. They expect way to much out of you, but just keep your head down and enjoy the caring for the elderly.
productive and very friendly
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Taunton15 July 2017
I love my job at Sherford Manor care home. the staff are very friendly and are a great team to work with. I am always busy and work is never slow. my day flies by and I love what I do.
slow and unpredictive
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire9 June 2017
soon as i clock in i will go to check what floor i am working on, i would go to my floor offer all residence a drink an ensure residence who needs help to drink is attended to, i have had to experience residents who have dementia who need more support, i have provided personal care at the allocated times. the most difficult part of this job is to see residence suffer and not being able change that, the most enjoyable part is when a residence is happy because of my action or by a conversation we have had it feels so rewarding.
Pros
free lunch free coffee throughout entire shift discount in majority places.
Cons
every shift must be 12 hours, remaining calm when being hurt by a aggressive resident
The Manor to which I've become accustomed.
Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton, UK29 May 2017
Typically, your day will start with you working out how to deal with the lack of staff, pads, wipes, linen and towels. You will not have much time to dwell on those things, however, as a great many of the staff who are there will need you to cover the fact they aren't prepared or able to do their jobs.
Breaks are payed, but only so they can call you back at any time.
In the late morning you will have a much slower pace of work as you will spend so much time waiting for the few functional hoists. A lunch is provided for those doing long days, and it is telling that this fortified, over boiled canteen cuisine is among the highlights of the day.
Afternoons are taken up with putting people back to bed and studiously NOT using the word "institutionalisation".
The Manor is on its fifth manager in 18 months, but the problems predate this.
The culture is resilient and determined, running on gallows humour and caffeine. I have made several good friends there, but we have all bonded over our desire to work somewhere good.
The hardest part of the job is maintaining your integrity. the best part is when you do.
Pros
No chance of slipping into a higher tax band
Cons
The existential dread that you might not make it out.
Productive Job
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Camberley24 May 2017
Good Company to work for they offer a good range of training throughout the year, however it is when you are working so very hard to attend. the managment are very understanding with medical problems.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, not every second weekend off as it is suppose to be
good place to work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne8 May 2017
Typical day would be assist with feeding/drinking/washing clients.
Clean and do laundry.
Hardest part is it is mentally, physically and emotionally challenging.
Best part is helping look after people.
Rewarding
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Selsey6 May 2017
Job is not easy but very rewarding. I gained a lot of interesting experience. People I worked with are very helpful. There is an issue with Romanian employees who tend to be not very nice...
lovely workplace
Health Care Assistant and Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset27 April 2017
a typical day at work was always busy but the residents made it all worth it, I learnt a lot of different range of things and we always had a lot of training. The most enjoyable part of working there was making residents smile and doing different activities workshops and making their life as easy as possible. I loved it there!
Pros
happy workplace, residents and work collegues
Cons
sometimes not enough time to spend with residents
Fun workplace
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macclesfield12 April 2017
Friendly atmosphere . Great atmosphere lovely people to work with. Clients vary with different ailments.. Good to have met people from all over the country
Nice and calm place to work.
Assistant maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Sutton-In-Ashfield, UK8 March 2017
Very good flexible hours, easy to commute there. Lovely co-workers and residents. Excellent facilities for both workers and residents. Very helpful people work there.
non stop
homecare assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire9 February 2017
Very busy environment with a lot of responsibilities and carer all day long. Great support and equipment with high expectation.
Pros
free meal and child care voucher
Cons
long shifts
not exist worklplace
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medomsley, UK9 January 2017
work for minimum spotalam personally with mental abuse, family business, a lot of personal turmoil, moved personal matters at work, a lot of hypocrisy and lack of impartiality on the part manger. He met with bullying employees and patients. The building was closed
Lovely clints
Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend11 December 2016
Knowing that you are helping with their daily lives, gives great satisfaction. It can be demanding when the clients has dementia as you see them some times struggling to cope with the embarrassment of some thing that they have done. They just need to be supported.
okay
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crewe28 October 2016
nice place to work. some staff are lovely however, some are rude and disrespectful. low pay for long hours. poor management in my opinion. short staffed quite often.
Cons
long hours little pay
Gruelling and demanding
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nelson27 September 2016
As a Carer here you are expected to the care in a short amount of time as well as fill out a lot of labourious and over the top amount of paper work. It was around often understaffed too. you end up running like a headless chicken trying complete everything.
Pros
Friendly staff and rewarding
Cons
Long hours, low pay, understaffed and overworked.
A generally good place.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gillingham27 July 2016
It's busy but a friendly environment to work in, Good team by you Everyone is valued member of staff, the hours may be long but it is worth while.
Pros
good team
Fun and busy workplace.
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool17 July 2016
Always something keeping you busy, making food keeping everything under control and clean. Sticking to the food hygiene and health and safety rules, making sure the stock room was never dirty and unorganised. Learning how to use different equipment everyday and overall just a very good atmosphere and work place.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Nice place.
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth20 May 2016
Areally nice place to work!!!I meet really nice people that was a pleasure to work with them,I make friends and I learned a lot of things.
hardwork
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor8 May 2016
for what you do, the wages dont make up for it. always feeling tired when you have to do your job plus more, under staffed and under paid. the management are very good, but still needs work withint the home. Pc system for daily notes is like asking to get blood out of a stone, laptops always broken or out of charge. not enough for staff but overall not a bad home, they could raise standards and benefits but the owner has refused this as this is the only home they have. no pension etc.. No free lunches etc. just eat the leftovers like a dog.
Pros
leftovers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCR ManorCare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9