H Samuel Employee Reviews

Too demanding
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim14 December 2017
For a young person trying to start off in retail this is not the place. With very little experience I joined this company. Head office asked alot from the workers in the shops. Making sure that we hit certain targets, targets that is almost impossible to hit as not many people come into the shop to purchase expensive jewellery. You are grinder for selling premier care which is also a hit or miss situation as not everyone will take it. However regardless of these factors it is all blamed on you saying that you aren't working hard enough when I worked as well as I could for a job like that. The hours where terrible. When working there I suffered with the worst hours possible, I had to work all lates and shifts that ran from 1 to 9 which leaves very little room to do anything. As a young person I would rather work early mornings and have the evening to my past times, especially going out with friends. However it was almost like it was never considered and if you have been working there longer you got privileges that us new employees never got. The only think I can take away from this place is experience to hopefully help me find a better job that actually doesn't give me as little free time as possible. I plan to leave this place soon and find a better job. The last time I will work here, ever.
Pros
Decent pay for a young person
Cons
Horrible hours
very pleasant & proffessional
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire27 November 2017
although I was only here as a temporary Christmas position I found the staff & manager to be very pleasant & very kind, they were always on hand to assist.
productive and fun work place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gloucester6 November 2017
great company to work for as there are many bonuses you can get and lots of incentives to keep you motivated. Learn a lot of information and new skills
was good
Churchill, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brighton3 October 2017
I learned the basic skills needed to work in the sales industry which you either development naturally and can hone on or you can learn them through working hard.
Pros
get paid
Cons
tiring
knowledgable
Signet Assistant Manager, Adare Street Bridgend (Former Employee) –  Bridgend1 October 2017
positive environment to work in,the most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service and meeting one to one with customers everyday.
I learned a lot about the history of Jewellery and the formation of metals and about Horology.
Fast paced and diverse
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross25 September 2017
Fast paced, no two days the same. Repeat custom and new!
Great ethos and a great place to work. Opportunities are there for training and personal development with things changing all the time.
Pros
Uniform vouchers
Cons
Shifts subject to change
No training
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands20 September 2017
No training given, expected to know everything on first day. Very untrustworthy had to remove shoes before leaving as well as metal detector over body. Not very friendly. Awkward silence as no back ground music or anything. Very unlikely opportunities to progress.
Cons
All of the below
Amazing people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire20 September 2017
It’s a great place to work. Colleagues are great. It’s a fun working environment where you Get along with everyone really well. No one can feel left out in a place like this. Customers are great too.
Pros
Allows some flexibility
Part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Preston14 September 2017
• Working under pressure on busy weekends leading up to holidays such as Christmas.
• Working hard to sell maximum products to achieve high commission.
• Making sure the shop is organized and stock take frequently to ensure no loss of profits.
enjoyable team work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rhyl, Denbighshire12 September 2017
We always worked as a team selling jewellery, watches and gifts Christmas was very busy and the most enjoyable time. Staff helped each other which made it enjoyable to go to work
Lovely place to work and grow
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London4 September 2017
Working with H Samuel really gives you a push to progress and want to learn the environment and the people want to help and are always cheerful.
The Management are always around to give support and to help you with any issues you might face with or without customer interaction.
Pros
good break time according to shift
A good place to work.
Sales Assistant plus some supervisor duties (Former Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland30 August 2017
The day starts from 8.30 am to 6 pm, depending on which shift your doing as this can be from 16 to 30 hr week. Tasks include replenishing stock on display and taking delivery of new stockcoming into store and checking items off before taking to stock room or putting out on display. Serving customers and doing other tasks required in store. Handling cash and taking payment by cards etc. I learned how to clean jewelry, pierced ears, some instore jewelry repairs, taking in repairs, watch repairs e.g battery replacements, adjusting straps (bracelet type). Customer service procedure, shop individual selling targets which included add on's. Keeping store clean and tidy in all areas. Did some supervising which included setting the days targets, opening up and closing store, Managing money at end of each day ordering new stock, banking,checking messages from area management.removing all expensive items from display and putting in safe. enjoyed working with others and on my own. the hardest part of the job was at Christmas when store was busy. Passing my exam on product knowledge and looking at the jewelry and other merchandise was the enjoyable part as well as meeting people.
Pros
In store discount
Cons
25 hrs
Great place to learn new things
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire22 August 2017
Working for h samuel can be very difficult at the start as there are lots of things to learn about different metals or about techniques to help customers. Once you are comfortable in the environment is can be very rewarding as you help people find the perfect gift for an occasion and assist them in that journey. Such as helping them choose the engagement ring.
I loved it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow19 August 2017
Great company to work for, fun training and excellent colleagues. I have worked in three stores in the UK and have loved working in every single one. i have learned so much.
Pros
Commissions, colleagues are fun
Cons
Won't give holidays during christmas
Selling items customer love to buy
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa7 August 2017
Drove from Bicester to Leamington Spa 6 days a week. Store opening. Staff motivation
Management skills.
Customer service lead by example
Treat customers how you would like to be treated.
Long hours long days
Customer satisfaction when you have found their ideal gift.
Pros
Discount
Hard
Trainee Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 July 2017
Was employed as a 17 year old and it was quite unfair as I had to learn a lot of the information very quickly and could not really do much unless I knew everything. Amazing pay but not a good job for someone that does not have much time on their hands and is looking for an on the side part time job. Had to leave after 3 weeks as they had too many staff so was not sure why they hired me in the first place.
amazing company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire18 July 2017
Amazing company tp work for, great pay, holiday, benefits and opportunities to ascend withing the company. thoroughly enjoyed my time at HS, felt looked after through my whle employment
Fun, rewarding
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kings Heath, West Midlands18 July 2017
I really enjoyed my 2 years working with h.Samuel staff. The customers were great in our area and always returned for special offers. Management were also very easy to talk to and training was very educational.
Pros
Excellent discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading29 June 2017
dealing with high value jewellery and watches, cash handling, stock control
learnt about different types of jewellery including rings, necklaces and earrings, building relationships with customers
management was extremely polite and professional
hardest part was stock refurbishment
happy environment and workplace
Pros
happy workforce
Cons
sometimes long hours
It's okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  leamington spa26 June 2017
A lot of the work is tedious and the amount of work you are required to do is a lot. It's long hours and you have to stand all day. The staff discount is good, but you have to put up with rude and demanding customers. You haves targets that you need to achieve and you get mystery shopped and have to reach scores of how well you have sold. Tedious.
Cons
standing on feet ALL day