H&M Employee Reviews

average
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenhithe21 November 2017
its a good starting job but not somewhere you should stay for life,
management is very unfair
very long unfair hours
unfair treatment
gossipy environment
Pros
discount
loved it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex21 November 2017
everyone was great, great manager , great work team, breaks were very well planned, half hour for half day , 1 hour for the full day ,
unfortunately someone got the best of me.
Okay
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  East Kilbride20 November 2017
Great for worming during college free time for extra money. Wasnt my ideal job but it funded christmas presents and birthdays. Only temporary staff and wouldn't recommend long term unless your in retail.
Fast pace and friendly atmosphere
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire18 November 2017
Working at H&M was hard work. It's a very fast-pace environment and pushes you to work at you highest ability. Everyone in the workplace is friendly, and works together as part of team to help everyone achieve and progress within the company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Travel
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayes, Greater London17 November 2017
A day of working at H&M wasn't really anything out of the ordinary, as I did enjoy my time there working with wonderful people who make you feel right at home.
Pros
free lunch breaks
Fast paced working environment
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire8 November 2017
Working at the heart of a fast paced fashion business, I am responsible for creating an environment that inspires customers to explore their personal style. I support, lead and manage a team to deliver the best shopping experience for customers. I actively drive sales and ensure myself and my team deliver direct and indirect customer service. I manage stock levels and take key decisions about stock control and lead a delivery team to ensure efficient and effective garment flow, aiming to increase sales. Analysing sales reports on a weekly basis allows me to keep track of selling and initiate actions required to reach sales targets. I make sure I meet the expectations of customers and colleagues at all times and handle all customer feedback to the best of my ability.

I have learnt to prioritize tasks and work better in leading a team.
Working as a team and having a 'family' feel is the most enjoyable part of my job. If my staff are happy then I am happy.
Pros
25% staff discount plus other offers
Cons
working weekends and bank holidays
Stressful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham6 November 2017
Horrible management, there seems to be a huge divide between sales assistants and managers.

The pay is awful, bringing home less than £1000 pm for working full time hours.

Forced to stay behind, they say it’s paid but I’ve never been for the times we have stayed behind, sometimes this can be upto an hour extra.

Managers disappear and are never available on the shop floor, the most stressful part of the job is how understaffed they are all the time, it’s like working the jobs of 5 people. Holidays are difficult to book off as there’s such a bad staff shortage situation. Expected to work sometimes 6-7 days in a row and never get weekends off.

Really not worth the stress for the low pay.
Pros
Some of the staff are lovely
Cons
Managers, long hours, no time off, extremely low paid
overall
Cash Office Assistant/Sales (Current Employee) –  London6 November 2017
HM expects a lot from workers. Sometimes too much, and often people are very demotivated due to that.
There are good days and bad days. Hardest part of the job is not getting paid enough for all the responsibilites they add on you.
Fun workplace
Retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire4 November 2017
Fun workplace, pretty organised. Don't allow shift changes without almost a ridiculous level of validity. Only mainly give 4 hour shifts so no breaks. Not much overtime allowed.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Not much overtime
Hmmm
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hounslow3 November 2017
Well it was my first job and i managed to stick by it for two years, management changed a million times and the work place was extremely draining, we always closed late and were ending up clearing rails for 3 hours. My life revolved around H&M, i would come home with terrible back pain and absolutely shattered. The management are racist and rude eastern Europeans who probably think any coloured person is a monkey. The pay is alright and the environment is horrific, worst customers you could ever meet. Lets just say this place built character for me, i feel like it was a life skill.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London2 November 2017
Great environment to work in,. I gained a lot of skills and improved my customer service skills. I was able to work in a team and work independently. My colleagues were very friendly and overall I enjoyed my time in H&M.
Relatively ok
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London1 November 2017
Overall H and M is a great company, but as of recent their have been many problems with employees, a certain level of duty of care is required from managers, head office etc bit this has not been shown. The level of care and interest shown and given to employees have become terrible. Always short staff,unable to give our all as we don't have enough staff.
Great place to work if you want fashion retail experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester31 October 2017
Great place to work if you want to gain work experience in retail. You are able to gain hands on retail and product knowledge, as well as experience in working with diverse teams. Giving customer service and working towards store and staff targets.
fun company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire24 October 2017
H&m is a great company to work.
In the future I would like to go back and work again for them but I feel now this the right time in my life to change my work life..
A fun, fast paced company.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Banbury21 October 2017
The company is fast paced and busy which means you can progress easily and quickly as long as you work hard and to the best of your ability. The staff benefits are good, the management team i worked within were loyal and trustworthy. I thoroughly enjoy working with the company. More pros that cons, although some days are long and difficult, other things make up for it.
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
Occasionally long hours
terrible.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex19 October 2017
terrible place to work. Management are terrible, the company is going bust. Honestly the job is so draining and it made me really unhappy. It might be good for some but not me.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire17 October 2017
The typical day at work included interacting with customers, serving, handling money and giving good customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with colleagues who made you feel included and worthy.
Sales Advisor
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester17 October 2017
Working at H&M was well suited to me while I studied as the hours were flexible and overtime was available.

During my last few years at H&M management became very poor and inconsistent which made the work environment uncomfortable and job security non existent.

Overall this was a good part time job as it was flexible and local, so suited my needs. However the pay and beenfits needed to be improved.
Very busy.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Luton16 October 2017
It is a great job, I wish I had stayed working there because some of the management genuinely will help you in case you want to progress. Also if you feel uncomfortable at any time they will take care of it.
Pros
They have great deals sometimes for who works there such as 40% off in all items. NOT AT ALL TIMES.
Cons
They do call a lot randomly to fulfill certain shifts.
good communication
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Geece16 October 2017
H&M is a famous company in all over the world. I didin't have the time to approve my skills because i worked only for the Christmas season but i learned a lot like how to keep my floor clear.
Pros
free lanch in a restaurants

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.