H&M Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
sometimes the branch isn't the same as the whole company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol23 September 2017
I do believe this review only stands for the branch I was working at...not H&M worldwide.

Agreed to holiday over christmas break so that I was able to go home and see my family, management did not stand by that agreement, leaving me having to resign in order to spend christmas with my family and not alone.

Involuntary overtime was given, and was treated as contract hours, so even if at college or university, still expected to show up and would be treated as an unauthorised absence.

I agreed in my interview as well that I would do a maximum of 8 hours overtime a week, as my contract was 8 hours a week. Some weeks was given 40 hours instead of maximum 16.

Apart from all of that, job was easy and pretty consistent. I have been to other stores and know people who work in different branches, so this is definitely not a company-wide review at all.
Pros
discount
Cons
involuntary overtime
I'm trying to get promoted in this company
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport21 September 2017
in my store i have many chances to speak to the area team about my progression and get a lot of time to work on it aswell. i like working here cause of the team i work with
Pros
lunch hours and progression levels
Cons
commmunication
Produktiv arbetsmiljö.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton20 September 2017
Jag har endast arbetat för detta företag i England där medelåldern på mina kollegor har varit 20 år, inklusive chefer. Har varit väldigt oorganiserat och inkompetent. Som företag tror jag att det är bra och här i Sverige ser jag att det är väldigt annorlunda fördelat med åldrar vilket jag tycker om. Jag kan absolut tänka mig att arbeta för företaget här i Sverige,
Pros
Personalrabatt
Cons
Oorganiserat
Loved it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire19 September 2017
I loved working for H&M staff all friendly and had so many different opportunities to move forwards through out the roles in the shop the only problem was working late shifts at meadowhall with childcare but they very flexible if needed would work back at h&m
not a good place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 September 2017
I would't recommend the place, because the managers/team leaders were the most unprofessional and fake I've ever met. They were good only at gossiping and bullying others... The majority of staff was very unhappy and double faced.
However, I met some great people, I keep in touch till now. The staff discount was not too bad too.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
late shifts, unprofessional managers/team leaders, no proper training provided, fake work culture
Good culture
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Essex18 September 2017
Growth opportunity if you stick to the company. Specially if you live in London and show interest to progress. Friendly management and good culture overall.
Was good for a call centre
First Line Agent (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh17 September 2017
• Providing excellent customer care over phone and e-mails.
• Handling customer complaints.
• Working the many computer system and keeping up to date with new programs and
ways of working.
• Helping colleagues and departments with any challenges faced.

Overall was a good job but very stressful with customers on the phone. Management were okay but they did not make me feel great when I was struggling at work.
Product and fun Workplace
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire12 September 2017
On the morning I go in I feel that it is a job that has to be done, so I get on and do it.
I learned how to use a floor cleaning machine.
As the machine for cleaning the floors is broken at the present time, I am finding very hard and tedious mopping the floors manually.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I finish and I see everything is clean and spotless.
Enjoyable workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham8 September 2017
Tasks included maintaining standards on the shop floor, serving customers at the till and generally helping customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the family feel environment and team morale.
If your face fits
Sales Advisor Extra (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 September 2017
I worked there for a long time and no matter what I did, it wasn't enough. You literally have to work, live and breathe the company and always be positive. The pay is very poor for the amount of work you have to do.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Pay and progression
Fast paced retail company
Sales Advisor - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire2 September 2017
Loads to do all the time and attention to detail is key.
If you are hardworking and show willingness to progress it is possible.

The team and management are all friendly and easy to work with, however as with all jobs management sometimes expect too much with little training.
Pros
Employee discount, progression opportunities
Cons
Exhausting
Rewarding place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset29 August 2017
H&M is a very good company to work for with lots of benefits.

It is a fast paced natured company, with great team work.

H&M is very rewarding with lots of employee benefits.
Pleasant place to work and develop career
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk29 August 2017
Training is in depth, great place to develop career opportunities in fashion, retail or management, they encourage you to thrive as a person and they care about their employees
Cons
Pressure to do more than is possible with hardly any staff
poorly managed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire28 August 2017
long hours, pressured into staying longer without pay

poorly managed, turnover of management was high

sales assistants were expected to manage without the pay of management
Fun staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire27 August 2017
I only worked 8 hours per week at H&M during my first year at college, so it was enough for transport and lunch money for the week. The staff and management were such bubbly and enthusiastic people that made a simple 9-5 enjoyable.
Pros
Staff were lovely
Cons
low salary
No respect unless you're a manager
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex25 August 2017
Management are rude and talk behind you back. The rotas change the day before you are due to work and you are made to change your plans for the week for the convenience of the managers.
I would not recommend to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Management talking behind your back
Customer focused
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 August 2017
Working in H&M you perform a variety of roles each day. Strong focus on team work. Good training given with plenty of support available. Must have an interest in fashion.
It was productive
Counter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London19 August 2017
A typical day at work was fine didn't have no problems it was usually smooth if u get in to the work time flies so i didn't have a problem with the time. I didn't find things difficult because it was not far from my house.
Pros
Early finishing
Good place but management is a NO from me
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lancashire16 August 2017
First started, everything seemed good. A couple of months later, I started to see flaws within the company. Management lacked and slacked putting pressure on all sales advisors. When paging for a manager they always take so long to respond and complained. Never a manager on the shop floor.

The day consists of rails, till, tidying as quick as the best as possible. I had made some great friendships here but everyone else also hated their jobs and they didn't feel like they could advance or felt underestimated by managers, bearing in mind that the managers are all young.

Managers didn't seem to understand that being a student also meant having other responsibilities at home. They expect you to do shifts on the day they ring you. always little notice.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks when working more than 6 hours
Cons
Draining doing the same stuff everyday. Late notice about shifts.
Bad Management, Bitchiness, Discrimination
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex14 August 2017
This review is only for the Horsham store as I cannot comment on other ones as I have not experienced working there.

10 people left in one month. This should be enough to tell you about the company. After I left this company I felt my happiness go up and up straight away. It is an extremely bad place to work. After having a discussion one time I overheard through the door a member of higher staff saying to her colleague "I hope he/she finds a really s*** job with a really horrible manager".

You get treated so badly in this place and you have just got to think "If my Mum worked here and they treated her the way they treat me would I be happy?"

On a final note, the main store Manager of this place is amazing. She honestly is. It's just the department managers that ruin this place. Stay away from here like it's the plague.
Pros
25% discount
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval