Gourmet Burger Kitchen Employee Reviews

Fun workplace but at times challenging
Front of House Waitress (Current Employee) –  West Thurrock20 September 2017
Overall, working at GBK is a pleasant experience as the team are welcoming and helpful. In addition to this, you are able to work in different sections, which allows for a diverse skill range to develop
Pros
free staff food
Really nice place
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire15 July 2017
A typical day at work starts with daily routine which are mornings preperations like sauces, saladst etc. Then when its getting busy KP needs to go to another kitchen and help with chips and burger construction and of course if u are a KP you need to worry about all the plates. but There is not a lot of them. It was really cool to work there because GBK is like small family where everyone helps each other.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Short Hours
Well paying company which is growing quickly
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham20 June 2017
I would definitely recommend working for GBK. The wages were above average and in general I liked working there. Plenty of opportunities to move and progress too. Only left because I was made to be miserable by a member of staff and I wanted to work less than 48 hours.
Pros
Free food- works on a points system. Rapidly expanding. Good Area Manager
Easy job, great perks, I was just unlucky
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff11 June 2017
I was hired along with a few others just before the Cup Final weekend (conviniently)

As jobs go this has been one of the easiest, you walk around collecting plates, glasses etc while delivering drinks and food and checking in on customers.

The hardest part was trying to manage the bar, you're often on your own and have to make multiple milkshakes (which you can expect takes time) while simulatenously making soft drinks, beers and coffees!

With the exception of one of the Managers, itnwas a great team and I enjoyed getting to know them.

Best part was that for the first week of service you'd get free meals on your break!
However when it's over you end up having to go through some sort of convoluted point system that you earn through shifts? (Better just to bring packed lunch or pay for the food.)

I was annoyed though how my job came to an end abruptly.
They cut my hours to a point where I called to ask why, just to pretty much be given told "you're the weakest link, goodbye" by the Assistant Manager.
I mean they told me that they had taken on a few staff and they were letting me go as I stumbled with trying to seat a customer during a busy shift where i'd been working 12 hours straight, but somehow the girl who can't seem to take anything to a customer without dropping it gets to stay?

Keep in mind that I had only worked 6 days and was only just being shown things like how to use the till on my last shift.

To me it just felt like "last in, first out" kind of deal.
Pros
Free food for first week, Easy Work, Management are decent
Cons
Working the "Bar", one particular Manager
Busy, fast paced environment
Grill Chef (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey31 May 2017
Has been a very good experience. People there are nice and have met some people that gave me knowledge for the rest of my life. Also the fast pace has made me stronger.
good place
customer service and waiter service (Former Employee) –  Watford, UK30 May 2017
a good place to work with nice and friendly staff, can be stressful at times depending what your job role is for the day, great benefits and good to their staff.
progressive yet destructive
Supervisor/ Grill Chef (Former Employee) –  Nottingham28 April 2017
although GBK are a relatively new company they miss the mark when it comes to looking after their team, hence why there was always i high level of staff turn around at y restaurant. although there were progression opportunites, this was always at the detriment of your personal life, and although support was offered, it was usually part of a bribe to get you to pick up extra responsibiities without rewarding that which was given.
Cons
salary, working hours, progression culture
productive, friendly environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Battersea, Greater London21 March 2017
I had learnt many skills working here including:
Working in a team and alone.
Being under pressure in a very busy environment.
Learning health and safety issues.
Greeting guests and taking orders.
Making drinks.
Working at a fast pace.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours and late finishes
fun place
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent4 March 2017
Gbk is real cool place to work at. learn so much and they always push for progression. the y bulid you to suit the company and love working there. All in all its nice place to work at
Pros
staff food and good working environment
Cons
inconsistant hours
Family feel. Horrific management
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon3 March 2017
I was part time, amazing family feel (even though I was kept out of the loop on EVERYTHING)
Wages were good for my age, but was worked to the bone, they will work you until you drop. There was no recognition of good work but they would nitpick everything you did just to find a bad point.
Constantly understaffed, even though they kept telling us we were very overstaffed.
Timetables never out on time, the bi**hiness between some supervisors got way out of hand, if you weren't besties with supervisors or management be prepared to have shiza rained on you
Never fired a single person, but instead made lots of people leave by giving them no hours, making them feel so unwelcome or by telling them that they were going to fire you in a few months so you need to start looking for a new job.
Area manager very quick to sweep things under the rug, after putting in my notice, refused to work my period due to my leaving circumstances. Made a formal complaint and was paid for my notice period, holiday and a couple extra days and got told "because everything is now sorted I hope there are no bad feelings towards the company and I trust you will take no further action" felt like I was being paid off.

Free food isn't free if you're on a short shift (4 hours).

Most of your time will include cleaning, being shouted at for not cleaning, not having enough time to do everything and hating working there.

Good for a temporary job to get you through a couple months, but definitely not a permanent position.
Pros
Family feel
Cons
Literally everything else
Calisilmasi gereken bir sirket
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  London20 February 2017
New Zealand li 3 Arkadas in baslatip ingiltere capinca hizli ve guvenli sekilde buyumesi kalitesini belli ediyordur sanirim
Pros
Bonus lar
Cons
Meetingler
A good team and friendly environment
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire26 January 2017
A good team at GBK, team effort is definitely needed during busy periods. Good pay and nice management, good people good food. Free food is the best part
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours and busy periods
Exciting working environment
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  London15 December 2016
Exciting working environment, constantly learning, positive management, very successful company. However, in some roles expectations are quite high, and the key to success is often how you get along with the bosses
Good company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West Midlands2 December 2016
Gbk is a good company to work in, friendly team members and an easy job, as long as you work as a team.
Good for building experience and learning new skills.
Pros
Free food, friendly team
Reccommend working here
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre9 October 2016
Highly recommended.
Best place i've worked in a long time.

Management is great and the overall atmousphere is fantastic, they'll have you trained quickly so you can be a good asset in no time.
Pros
Staff meals.
Simple Waiter Work
Part-time and Full-time (Former Employee) –  London24 August 2016
This job allowed me to understand the restaurant industry from the perspective of the server.

GBK is a reputable company that treats both the worker and the customer well. Head office had frequent visits to the restaurant to ensure all was going well which is great for workers to know who works the admin aspects of the company.

The hardest part of this job was the main aspects of customer service; in the area of Waterloo many customers were in a rush or busy so dealing with customers in certain moods meant adapting to their needs, which at times was challenging.
Pros
Food based on hours of work.
Cons
Stressful environment
Awful
Went for a trial (Former Employee) –  Swindon5 August 2016
It's 0 hours unless you are a manager so if that's not what you want I wouldn't go for it. It's confusing because they explain things too fast and don't give you a chance to get used to it really.
Pros
Free food
Cons
0 hour contracts
great at first
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Manchester5 July 2016
they let you settle in at first, but after a few months working becomes tedious, the management is spiteful and poor, you get a family feel amongst staff however the management is so awful, you can't talk to any of them honestly, and when you do it is like Chinese whispers. They urge you to progress and when you do, they strip you of your hours.
Pros
free food
Cons
management
Great fun place to work
Boh (Former Employee) –  Nottingham4 June 2016
Great place to work, if I ever needed anything the head chef would always do her best to help me and the team. Good restaurant manager as well. Fun to work with everyone. Always busy so good for hours. Sometimes long days but hours you get is such a bonus.
Pros
Free food, staff beer and staff like family.
Cons
Long hours but at least you get hours.
Awful
Front of House member (Former Employee) –  London31 May 2016
Management - all over the place
Work/life balance - shift manager failed to have consistency when making timetables, there were times when i was working 4-5, 12 hour shifts a week. Despite the fact that I discussed my university timetable with the managers before i accepted the job.
Job culture - a bit of a joke, i understand that the head office were going for a relatively laid back Aussie style but my managers made inappropriate jokes all the time and made me uncomfortable
Salary - £6.50 -_-, didnt even get a good discout it was only 35%

Quite a hard job, on your feet for long periods of time and a lot cleaning. This was not really an issue for me, i enjoy meeting new people and cleaning isnt a problem
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
long hours, weird managers, on your feet for long period of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval