Gloucestershire County Council Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my job on a daily basis.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newnham, Gloucestershire22 November 2017
My day was clearly defined with the morning helping teach maths and English.The afternoons either teaching PE or working on the creative curriculum which could of been design and technology, painting, building, papermache or a large art project.I delivered these across all year groups within school.This was the best part of the job.
The hardest part of the job was having enough time to make sure it was done to the best standard.
Pros
Using my creative abilities.
Nice place to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnwood, Gloucestershire6 November 2017
Enjoyed my time working in the contact centre, I met lots of nice people, enjoyed talking to the members of the public, also met some very angry customers who didn't agree with the company policies
Pros
Met lots of nice people and learned lots
Cons
angry customers
Lovely
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Great Rissington, Gloucestershire28 July 2017
I love working here! Lovely staff, great children and an overall good team at the Rissington school. The staff are welcoming and we all get along great!
Can be long hours but all worth it in the end!
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Can be long hours
the job started off well but due to funding and budget cuts, the moral soon waned.
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester23 July 2017
Working in a busy school kitchen, the job was great to start with but that soon changed once the government cut funding for the school. Moral soon changed.
Pros
Term time school holidays which are handy for those with children of school age.
Cons
For those who don't have children of school age, you must take your family holidays when school is closed.
Good employers
Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire23 July 2017
I worked as a supply teacher for Gloucestershire County Council. I had a lot of work through them which was good for my experience as a Newly Qualified Teacher.
Pros
Good experience
Community Library
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishops Cleeve10 July 2017
Lovely place to work. Really part of the community and enjoyed seeing the diversity of the public who used the local library.

Relaxed atmosphere with lovely staff members.
Good
Coach Driver Cathedral Coaches Gloucester (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, UK17 May 2017
Good and fun to work for. Good work life balance.
Learned how to work with the disabled and handicapped both children and adults. Driving the mini buses and cars transporting them to and from the school to home
Cons
Quiet office but very busy with more work being required from fewer people
Highways Development Technician (Current Employee) –  Glolucester28 March 2017
GCC is a good place to work but since I joined in 2012 there has been a cutting back of staff numbers without any corresponding reduction in the level of the work load. Of course o one complains as no one wants to be seen tor 'rock the boat' and our elected representatives think everything is cosy from their eerie.
Pros
Its good to help others.
Cons
Lots of work and brick bats without any priase.
Dreadful culture in SEND dept
Ex employee (Current Employee) –  Shire Hall28 January 2017
Culture of putting people down, over work and under value. Awful management. Your face had to fit.
Some colleagues are very supportive but managers are not. A real clique.
High pressure to meet deadlines.
Pros
Flexible working.
Cons
Long hours with no thanks
Challenging but interesting place to work
Commercial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire22 January 2017
A changing environment which offers interesting work to people who can commission, run projects, deliver services or have commercial experience. Offers flexible approach to working.
Pros
flexible working
Very unpredictable
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Gloucester shire hall13 January 2017
During my time working there I found it was very unorganised. I didn't know what I was working week to week and I was required to do multiple big tasks all at once. the job was only part time but very strenuous.
Pros
Cons
long hours, unfit work conditions.
Statutory working environment
Care Manager / Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Gloucester8 December 2016
GCC is a place to gain experience for those newly qualified social workers, social care assessors in the care sector. Interesting front line work supporting the vulnerable.
Very fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gloucester library20 November 2016
Working in the Gloucester Library, ran by the county council, has been a very good experience. However, if you go in as a volunteer, there is no guarantee you will be fully employed there. Regardless, it has been an enjoyable and productive and the staff are amazing people.
Pros
Community driven
Cons
Activity varies
Great place.
Special Educational Needs Casework Officer (Current Employee) –  Gloucester City Centre13 September 2016
Good place to work friends staff great working environment. Good work life balance well structured teams friendly and warming environsment to be in.
Front Line Services
REFERRAL & ASSESSMENT TEAM CLERK (Former Employee) –  Beeches Green Stroud18 April 2016
Very busy team working in child protection.
Referrals from professionals and public, entering data on spreadsheets and sending out assessments.
Requiring attention to detail, confidentiality and speed.
Enjoyed this job but left to look after my mum who was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Therefore need part time work as my father is now on his own.
Pros
Pension Scheme, Parking, Good Team Ethics, Helping Others.
Cons
no cons
Great teamwork
Relief Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Countywide28 March 2016
Excellent co-workers
Good training
Feel part of the community
Vital service within the areas
Much loved service and valued by many
no comment
lifestyle coach (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, ENG2 December 2015
accepted under nhs2gether/iapt safeguarding guidelines therefore i cannot review or talk about this job under these guidelines i cannot actually comment any further except to say it shaped the next 20+ years of my life when i got married and went to live in the wider community
Pros
promoting sociability
Cons
some work was bank not garanteed
Job was quite challenging
Admin Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire30 July 2015
I did not find management particularly helpful when I went through difficult times. Often tries to place blame on someone else rather than them taking responsibility for making own decisions.

Colleagues were OK but still far from perfect.

However I did learnt some new skills which I did not learn in other roles before. Will use these in future roles I apply for.

Lots of red tape and bureaucracy which meant decisions were painfully slow and cumbersome
Pros
Challenging and rewarding, helped me make decisions, grown as an individual and employee
Cons
Often get critisized for minor mistakes often unfairly. Red tape and bureaucracy
Great team
Apprenticeship Manager (Former Employee) –  Gloucester28 July 2015
As manager of the apprenticeship scheme I enjoyed every minute of working here.

I was able to develop groups of apprentices to achieve and gain employment.

Excellent job satisfaction.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Parking
Great experience
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, ENG17 June 2015
It was a really good experience and I enjoyed it very much. I got to do work that not many people enjoy like scanning and archiving.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gloucestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Gloucestershire County Council Reviews by Location