GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews

Difficult to rate - lots of variation between groups
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex19 November 2017
I've been on the site since 1990 but am focusing on the last few years here. It's been a tough period with a lot to fix and this has made for a poor work life balance (to put it mildly). A great culture and attitude in the Primary (API) operation here - pity it's closing.
Pros
The people
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Respectful enviroment
Admin (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 November 2017
I was learning on the job and so everyday was different, i thoroughly enjoyed the constant change. the workplace was very relaxing, clean and made one feel very welcome evytime we entre and exit the building by other staff.
All sheep
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Montrose, Angus15 November 2017
If you want to be a sheep ie do as your told or else..your face doesn't fit your out..if you think for yourself or have an opinion your out..shift leaders are pathetic can't do any of the jobs that them under them can do they just wing it..it is good when top managers visit and all on site management hang on every word he says it's like watching seals at the zoo..clap clap clap..cant wait to find a proper job..people too scared to make a mistake ..some shift leaders are bullies a very bully cultured environment..until you meet them outside work then they brick it..
Don't be a sheep..be a shepherd.
Don't work for this profit only company they don't give a toss about you..ill be out of here soon..then look forward to bumping into a few shift leaders..see how big they are one on one.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
Management who have no clue..shift leaders
Dynamic, intellectual and fulfilling
Senior Regulatory Affairs Officer (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire15 November 2017
Fully loaded, lots to do
learned more about Drug Development
Did not have management opportunity
Excellent workplace culture
Needed to do lots of research
Fulfilling and rewarding when results are obtained
Pros
Dynamic and fulfilling role
Cons
expensive cafetaria
Great comoany to work for!
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  London, UK14 November 2017
GSK was a great school. I had the chance to work eith great people and the comoany has a nice vision and culture.
I only left because I had to move (for personal reasons) and they don't have an office/opportunity in the state I am now.
Pros
Great company, great structure, great benefits, great company culture
Cons
Working hours can be long from time to time depending on the project
Excellent experience
Quality Oversight Officer (Former Employee) –  Ware8 November 2017
I have developed my career in GSK , I have enjoyed all my roles.
Management is excellent , great work life balance.
I would highly recommend to work here and would like to go back.
Nice place to work, but overall frustrating
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire25 October 2017
It’s not all bad, job security is good, you can work as hard as you like (or not at all), and the pay is ok if you get bonuses and awards. If you’re looking to do great science in a dynamic fast moving industry environment, this is probably not the place for you. Many frustrating barriers to doing simple tasks. Career development - you’re on your own.
Pros
Nice people, interesting and varied work
Cons
Doing science sometimes seems like an afterthought, chaotic processes, little career development
A Large Company with Many Opportunities
Senior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex6 October 2017
A company which I was always excited to work for. Certainly a great place to learn especially if you are starting off.
A lot flexibility for the staff which may not be available with smaller companies.
Pros
Large corporate company, opporutnity to learn lots of analytical techniques
Cons
Very competitive environment
Great place
IT Business Partner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 October 2017
Great place to work, good work life balance, friendly people, great environment.

Global working, lots of areas for opportunity given the broad portfolio
Excellent place to work
Recruitment Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Brentford5 October 2017
One of the most pleasant companies that I have worked for. The Head Office rewarded to staff for their hard work and the team worked well together. Only left to find a permanent role closer to home.
Excellent business
Communications Director (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 October 2017
GSK is an excellent business with a great culture and good values. I would recommend it as a good place to work, though it can be overly consultative.
Pros
Cons
Not progressive
A great company to work for
Business Intelligence Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London1 October 2017
Being 10 years in GSK, I can certainly say that overall I am happy. Good company culture focusing on people and fun place to work with people being friendly.
Pros
Great place, friendly atmosphere, good culture
Cons
Siloed, average pay, focus on cost management, managers not inspiring and often mediocre
Good pay for part time
Office movement (Former Employee) –  London30 September 2017
The pay was good and included travel time in the pay and training was very clear effective. The hours were long but the breaks given to you were also long.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Good workplace but not prepared
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Ulverston, Cumbria26 September 2017
The company got the days we were doing the work experience mixed up and thought we were coming a week later so they had nothing for us to do except follow the mechanical engineers and help them where they needed it, this included fixing machines, cleaning machines, filing, sawing and other handiwork. The work environment was very friendly and welcoming all the people were kind.
Pros
Cheap meals.
Cons
Not much to do.
Fantastic company to work for
PA/Office Manager for CTS (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London25 September 2017
Competitive salaries, great perks and ability to progress upward or across the company. The management team was very approachable and the office environment was fun busy and fast paced.
Pros
Competitive salary and perks
work experience placement
manufacturing
plants
Good company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  UK18 September 2017
Company is fair and treats employees well

Company has a very inclusive culture and decisions tend to be made by committee

Facilities and employee support is excellent
Productive work environment
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  West Drayton7 September 2017
I was able to witness the importance of the pharmaceutical industry during my work experience. I received many presentations on the different aspects of GSK e.g. packaging, animal testing, drug trials and other competing companies. The workers were very focused and clearly passionate and committed to everything GSK has to offer
Pros
Free Lunches
See cv
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London4 September 2017
Meeting key deadlines everyday
Talking and liasing with teams,depts,managers,supervisors regarding ap matters
Chasing up on approvals
Payment supplier and employee runs
Productive anf fun workplace
Summer Placement (Former Employee) –  Barnard Castle, Durham29 August 2017
Ina typical day I would attend at least one meeting with the business change workstream on the morning, where we would review actions for the day/week and trackers. Then each day I would follow my diary and attend any arranged meetings or complete any set scheduled work.
During my time at GSK I was responsible for the following-
• Tracking different aspects of every workstream on the project, such as keeping records of weekly meetings and changes to standard operating procedures (SOPSs)
• Setting up and running the project stall at a celebration day
• Collaborating and condensing the resulting data from a site-wide survey, to then simplify it and create a presentation
• Update weekly trackers and action boards
• Produce Spreadsheet templates to be populated with different data, for the business change workstream, for the rest of the project
Pros
early finish fridays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2