GAME Employee Reviews

Rewarding place to work with a great team culture
Resourcing Manager (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire16 November 2017
I have been working at Game for 3 months now. I have found the induction, company and culture really refreshing. Everyone has been very welcoming and engaging.

We are now entering our peak period, but you can see the teams coming together to ensure our customers are at the heart of our business.

The head office in Basingstoke is AMAZING... onsite Bistro, car parking, relaxed office environment
Top place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield8 November 2017
As a gamer and a tech enthusiast this job was extremely work while. being in a job where you can express you love towards gaming and help others this job can be seen as very rewarding through every aspect.
Pros
Staff Discount
Very easy if you like games
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 November 2017
Great place to work when you enjoy the product, customers are great to talk to and show enthusiasm while being served, makes coming to work enjoyable.
Pros
Discount on games 20%
Cons
No break on 6 hour shift
Work experiance here at GAME Middlesbrough
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  England31 October 2017
GAME Middlesbrough
During this time I was given the job to handle incoming deliveries. I was also on the sales floor giving customers any help that they required, checking stock levels, pricing up, and general store tidy. Also during this time at GAME I made sure I was always there for a customer if they required assistance. I have learnt the ropes in retail now with this work experience.
Pros
Good business to work for
Cons
Stores could be more up to date
Great years of my working life.
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Various25 October 2017
I worked for game for a total of 9 years and the company allowed me to find my self in the sense of careers goals. The people I worked with were amazing.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley23 October 2017
I thought it was a lovely environment to work in since the staff treated you like family and they take whatever medical conditions you have into account.
Pros
fun, good pay
Cons
needs more variety in job tasks
pure sweet
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derry23 October 2017
best place ever, couldnt have asked for a better bunch of shams to work with, absolute legends, one of a kind, sweet job for checking out the hunnies as they walked around town
Pros
fun atmosphere, loving staff
Cons
competitive hours
Brilliant part time job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield22 October 2017
Brilliant part time job to aompliment my fulltime job. management are easy to aporach and talk too. Other staff members are really easy to get one with too. just lucky to be working with a good team.
70% of job satisfaction is the staff memebers and i have been lucky to work with a good team
Worked here for work experience
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire20 October 2017
I worked here for work experience a decade ago, so I can't really do an accurate review for this company. My experience was pleasant enough and the management team were very helpful in teaching me the basics of working life.
Worst place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire19 October 2017
The team leaders pick on whoever they want and they try to act like the managers when they are not so disrespectful they speak to you like youre a little child
Pros
Cons
They treat you like rubish
Fun and friendly environment.
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Braehead, Glasgow8 October 2017
I enjoyed every part of being at game for that week, i would be happy to work there long term. The other staff were helpful and friendly, as a gamer I can relate to customers.
Pros
Discounts on games
Cons
Rewarding at management level only
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn6 October 2017
A brand who are overly focused on promoter led environments who pay for store positioning to push their own products.
Good rewards offered and a fun team dynamic to match the nature of the products sold.
nice happy workplace
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire4 October 2017
Nice people easy to talk to and friendly. Good working environment clean and safe and good facilities. Approachable supervising and managing staff fun place to work.
Competitive Workplace
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Thurrock and South Stifford30 September 2017
A day typically consists of making as much money as possible (like any business), though the general strategy to sell if make customers to feel as though they are missing out on a unique opportunity if they do not buy there and then. This may also be another sales strategy, but it is often aggressive and made customers feel uncomfortable.

GAME taught me that you can be very persuasive with your language/knowledge of products; convincing customers that what you are selling meets their needs.

Management would often lead by fear. After being at the store for no more than 3 weeks, the manager swore at me for making a mistake which cost the store money. The mistake I had made was something that was no covered as part of my initial training.

Workplace culture was often one of competition; who could sell the most. This was often good/bad, colleagues could be incredibly rude and hostile if you "helped them with a sale".

Hardest part of the job was to remain polite but aggressive in sales.

Most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customers about their favourite games and genuinely helping parents/grandparents find the right gift for their children/grandchildren.
Pros
Discount on video games
Cons
Expectation to sell certain products each and every day
Frustrating workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford22 September 2017
Usually great teams to work with but severe lack of support from higher ups and constant budget changes make it an unreliable and stressful job.
Constantly missing display items and receiving incomplete deliveries, store layout changes multiple times a week despite always being understaffed. We're overworked and rewarded with a terrible salary and poor benefits.
Pros
Co workers are typically great, always support one another.
Cons
Poorly run company. Causes a lot of stress
decent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orpington21 September 2017
playing games is not my strong suit. I only got the job because it was next to my house.. fun place to work. knowledge of all game consoles is needed.
Pros
discount
Cons
short break
Rewarding experience
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  South Shields19 September 2017
Passionate staff who enjoyed their job and customers equally so. Very rewarding advising customers on their purchases. Management was easy to identify with as they had similar interests.
A good place to work
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chatham17 September 2017
I chose to do my work experience here because I like games and I am into console gaming once I got to know everyone I started to enjoy my time working I worked at game for a week and the staff were very polite and supportive
Pros
Got to have a good time
Nice but not for me
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London, Wardour Street14 September 2017
While I enjoyed talking with customers the most, I struggled to come to terms with the entirety of what was expected of me on the job. Almost every shift, I would be faced with something that I did not know had a particular procedure, so I always had to have someone nearby to take me through it step by step. While normally I'm happy to learn on the job, it was disheartening that I could not handle my position alone after 4 weeks. As welcoming as the management and fellow staff were, the job simply was not right for me.
Standard
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crayford11 September 2017
Was nice as I love video games in general,
the team was nice and customer service was amazing as I was in my element.

I was the employee that was bringing in the most warranty sales due to how much knowledge I have in Games regard.

Very simple, and not challenging enough for the hours we work.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Hours and not a challenge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAME. Our community is ready to answer.