G4S Employee Reviews

Good, solid, diverse company to work for.
Receptionist/General Guarding (Current Employee) –  Essex15 November 2017
General work ethics are excellent, conditions depend on the client site where working, on the site where I worked they were fair. Additional hours are on offer for those who want them, however they are could be on different sites, in different locations.

Problems arise due to the size of the company and the different locations of their various departments - there seems to be a lack of communication between those departments, they are well meaning but that does not help in the execution.

I was trained in door supervision and first aid at work whilst working in a temp position with the company, this was paid for by the company.

At the beginning of my time with the company I found the position rather tedious as I was not used to working in this sector but I got used to it over time.
Pros
Full training received
Cons
some positions are monotonous, tedious.
as disclosed in my cv
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 November 2017
Working with G4S has given me a good experience as a security officer to perform excellently well in the security role job. I have also had my SIA Licence by working with G4S
Pros
free lunches
Cons
excellent
God awful company to work for
Healthcare (Former Employee) –  England13 November 2017
All I can say is watch your back in this company. It's the worse company I've ever worked for. Uncaring, lack compassion and certainly lacks the human touch of understanding and caring. They finger point extremely quickly and make scapegoats out of employees. Whatever you do don't lower your standards and work for this company in England.
Pros
I've left
Cons
I've left
Demanding Utilitiy meter reader
G4S utilities (Former Employee) –  London9 November 2017
When you have not been with a company or business long enough to comment good or bad I find it is best not to do or say anything that could be deemed as predjust.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Competion high targets
Poorly paid,
Ambulance Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent5 November 2017
If your looking to earn a living then this job is not for you. Just over minimum wage and yet you deal directly with patients. We are front line but get a pitence. To much form filling, no appreciation, control haven't a clue on area. There is NO extra money. Flat rate of pay and if you don't like it then leave. Company would rather train new staff than invest in current staff to keep them. Seen so many people leave. It's madness. This is G4S where the top bods earn loads and the actual workers earn nothing. Steer clear, it's not as glamourous as it sounds.
Pros
Free cups of tea
Cons
Poor pay
Zero hours contract
Security Guard/Door Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh1 November 2017
It's a good company to work for if you want a zero hours contract , you can pick and choose what hours suit you. There is quite a large turnover of staff.
There are lots of opportunities to work full or part-time.
Work the hours that suit you .
Pros
Zero hours contract
Cons
Most hours required are at night
Industry leader? Don't make me laugh
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester31 October 2017
I only did this job for so long because I'm not skilled enough to do anything else. The pay was appalling, conditions, at times, were hazardous to life & limb, management a joke, avoid at all costs.
Multinational Company
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ilfov30 October 2017
One of the best experience in my professional activity.
I was able to develop a multinational security knowledge and to apply international practice and standards.
Want to be a slave?
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  uk24 October 2017
Fancy never knowing where you are going to work from one day to the next, often getting it changed with no notice?

Fancy working for minimum wage in a job where you are just a number in a uniform?

Fancy having management constantly unavailable and any enquiries completely ignored?

Fancy never being able to get holidays booked?

Fancy working for a company that thinks paying the expenses you are due is optional whilst expecting you to find the money to travel thousands of miles a year?

Fancy experiencing racism, sexism and bullying on a regular basis and nothing being done about it?

If the answer to all these questions is yes then a frontline role with G4S is for you!
Pros
better than the dole, just.
Cons
see above
Enjoyable
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Stockport22 October 2017
Working here was good, because you work in a team and your with these people everyday they almost become family. Management were good if you had an issues.
Not Enough Support
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 October 2017
Expected to work through the hour break you have on a 12 hour shift management dont want to help you or listen to concerns often left to work alone as colleagues dont want to help and just sit around in office leaving new people to pick up all the slack then degrade them in staff meetings by blaming new starters for all the things going wrong. you work 60+ hours every week without a choice and no breaks A/L was given to me without even been giving a chance to pick. Over all its a shambles!!!
Pros
Cons
everything !
Ambulance care assistant
Ambulance Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent17 October 2017
Management don’t seem to care about the ground staff, all they are worried about are the “KPIs”. They don’t even seem to care about the patients we transport.
One of the easiest jobs out there but made really hard by management and controllers that don’t even know the area.
They always ask more out of you, but never offer more to you.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Low wage
productive and fun workplace
Steward (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 October 2017
enjoyed the job because the job involved a lot travel.
because of this, i know many places in the UK.
the payment was not bad, but because of lot of travel ,there should be a travel expenses. this is my opinion
Pros
noon
Cons
noon
I have good experience to work with G4s,I work in hospitality environment which was really good and give me lot of experience
Security supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hilton hotels12 October 2017
My day was very long on work sometimes cz of some incident I need to work more then 12 hiurs, until problem not solved I have to enter there as a supervisor .I learn lot of things in my life to work in hospitality field,I know how to handle pressure in case of emergency.
Our management not really bad all good and professional.
Hardest part of JOb is to work night shift specially after 2am it's make sleepy but anyhow I have nice experience to work in night shift.
My most enjoyable part of work when I was in airport to handle difficult passenger of drunk passengers.
Pros
I have free lunches on duty from hotel side.
Cons
Sometimes duty was more than 14 hours
Fun
Safety Steward (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside12 October 2017
long hours but good fun and social side to work!!. met some ok people when working meet people up and down the country, overall quite good money isnt great though
Pros
social side
ok to work for
Security team leader (Former Employee) –  basingstoke / camberely11 October 2017
Wages were good. Management was bad. They left you alone which was good. Team was good to work for. I worked as a contractor for a bank. I did enjoy the job until the contracted ended.
Pros
wages
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Burnley11 October 2017
Very busy, at times, turnstile operating was fast, noisy, supervisors usually close by, hardest part was facing traffic end of shift as was joining motorways with around 10 to 20 thousand drivers for their destination.
Pros
Crowd spectating
Cons
Journey back home
good
Transport Manager (Current Employee) –  London8 October 2017
Lovely people very friendly and funny, make the day go by very quick, flexible work for safety stewards, well paid and enjoyable. Good for part time work on the side.
Avoid like the plague
Prison Custody Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow courts.8 October 2017
Man management skills are in short supply in this company. They have promoted from within and the people they have chosen are just not up to the job.Bullying and victimisation are common place and staff are left wondering where to turn.Only a matter of time till one of the Area managers gets taken to a tribunal . Rubbish company . Avoid if you can.
Pros
Too few to mention.
Cons
Wages and conditions.
Awful company.
Security Officer/Door Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove churchill sq.6 October 2017
This company is run by a bunch of cowboys. Days off are far and few between leaving you with a non existent home life. There is pay issues every month ( i am still owed nearly £1000 which they are refusing to pay ) the management could easily be replaced by chimps ( who would do a much better job ). The management also bully and harass you on a daily basis and when you raise a greivance to the area manager he just ignores you and does nothing about it. My strong reccomendation would be to stay well clear.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, rarely get days off, always issues with pay, management bully and harrass on a daily basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.