G1 Group Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere, great people, great benefits
Chef De Partie (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 August 2017
I worked for G1 group at Ghillie dhu. It was good venue to work at but one needs to determined to learn.

Salary, benefits and working environment is all great, but the opportunity to learn on the job is not there... goes back to the argument of chasing money vs chasing knowledge. Money is good, gaining knowledge through cooking methods and the range of the menu is not there.
Pros
good wage
Cons
no improvement in knowledge on the job
Worst Company I have ever worked for
Seasonal Worker Waiter (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 May 2017
No care for the staff, profits come first. Managers put huge pressure on staff for minimum wage, zero hours contracts. Out of 4 shifts i was put on a week i actually did around one due to nature of the contract. I would often be contacted 30 minutes before a cancelled shift was suddenly made available and expected to attend with no prior notice. Poorly run with a culture of stress. Do not work for G1. Disgusted that I wasted 2 months of my life working for them.
Pros
Getting paid money.
Cons
Stress, poor culture, poor pay, poor management, zero hours conracts, lack of respect for staff.
Bunch of cowboys and gangsters
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh24 May 2017
Avoid avoid avoid! All about head office and no thought about those who make the business! Amateurs and bullies! HR don't support management and are afraid to offer guidance as are the Ops Managers (BDM's).
Pros
Haha!
Cons
No job security or communication from "Business Development Manager"!
Good
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 May 2017
Good for development, working in the bar side of the job and the the management. It works well with being at university as well as allowing for room to develop.
Friendly, Modern Company
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 May 2017
G1 Group is a Company which is growing at a rapid pace. It is a great workplace with a very relaxed environment which provides a good balance in line with the busy workload.
Awful
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Dundee City18 May 2017
Absolutely awful place to work. Don't get paid properly. Management have clearly had zero training. Brought in a lot more money than anyone else who worked there and one day after being told to put all my stuff away and get ready to start my shift was then pulled into the office and fired with no explanation and absolutely no reasoning. Would not recommend ever. Have spoken with a few people who have been through the same thing.
productive and fun experience
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow7 January 2017
Clean floors, sofas,details,mopping,hoovering
I learned accuracy, thoroughness.
I work well in a group, non-confrontational and I am able to work in a group.
The most pleasant is the result of the work or clean up the pub and office.
Pros
free lunches
A chance to progress
Area Operations Chef (Former Employee) –  Glasgow26 October 2016
A great company for progression for a young chef as the company continues to open new venues around Scotland.

Although kitchens tend to be a little left behind in terms of development of equipment.
Pros
Chance of progresssion
Cons
unstable future
The office is king
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 October 2016
Whole company revolves around pleasing the office. Mountains of administration and red tape strangles the creativity out you. Everyone told me not to go and work for G1. I wish I'd listened. It's a shame as the venues are stylish and the design teams do a great job
Pros
Nice venues
Cons
Red tape
Horrific. Absolutely horrific.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow21 September 2016
Only as good as your last good thing. Frequent changes at senior level result in directionless organisation. Every new senior mgr thinks they know best resulting in constant changes of priorities. Excellent lip service paid to "staff training" and the importance of "their people" but in reality they have absolutely no loyalty and care not a jot about you as an individual.
Completely soulless as an organisation.
Pros
They pay better than most hospitality companies
Cons
You can be out of a job at a moments notice, so it's not worth the risk
Full of empty promises
head chef (Current Employee) –  scotland24 March 2015
if you want to be a microwave technician then this is the company for you. You get treated like a second class citizen and u have to treat ur staff the same way. This company is full of empty promises and the middle management and "support chefs" have massive chips on their shoulders and don't even acknowledge you when they walk in. All accept one guy who was great. It's all about money... Not customer experience and certainly not about the food. They do kitchen audits in the middle of a busy Saturday services so almost set u up to fail.
Pros
Good money
Cons
hours are the worst I've experienced in this industry
Fast-Moving Service Culture
Assistant/Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow6 November 2014
A good company to work for with excellent benefits.

However, minimal scope to progress out of the service side of the industry.
Pros
Company Discounts
Cons
No Scope to leave service
Busy workplace
Sales Ledger - Credit Control Department (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT22 May 2014
Very good management, friendly co-workers.
The G1 Group is a collection of over 45 venues, some really big, and some really wee (we have the smallest pub in Scotland). Lots of our venues are housed in grade A & B listed buildings, carefully restored, expanded, refreshed and put to good use. We have restaurants, hotels, nightclubs, bars, cinemas, casinos and more.
Pros
Very profesional workplace.
Cons
Typical day work - Credit Control Department
relaxed workplace, no progression, unsociable hours
Door Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT24 February 2014
At work I usually start around 10pm and finish at 3:15. My job consists of patrolling the venue inside and out, complying with various licensing laws. dealing with conflict and liaising with the police. I work within a small team of up to 6 stewards. the job isn't very strenuous however taking abuse regularly and having to deal with conflict isn't ideal. Which is why I feel it is time to move on.
Pros
Free pint
Cons
static position most nights
good work and workers
joiner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT30 September 2013
as the whole time with my company i learned alot and diffrent ways to do them , i workd with alot of skilled men who where always there to help out . im a person who can get along with others very easily which made the workplace a joyus place to be
Pros
good money and good people
...........
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT4 August 2013
i worked tuesday,wendsday and saturday from 6am till 9 am,
i learned how to clean up all staff,it was place a club,and it was quite difficult
not a fun place to work as its not made that way .
dayporter/maintennce (Former Employee) –  3sister grassmarket hotel biddy muligans14 March 2013
honestly did nt have a good experience worked there for 5 months plus and when its was time to get ride of me ,sorry made redundant it was not done in a professional manner
Pros
easy to get to work and back
Cons
well ground staff treated badly