Forestry Commission Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Market Rasen, Lincolnshire15 October 2017
Even though it was only work experience/volunteering, I ensured that I gave my all because it was my duty to do so. It was difficult work in hot, sunny weather, but due to hard work and determination, I was able to complete what was required of me.
Cons
Long hours, early starting time
A great environment to work in!
Area Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  East of England. Norfolk, south coast and Oxford11 July 2017
No two days the same.
From programming works, to inspecting dams and bridges.
Designing, preparing contract documents and tendering.
RE on a tree top walk way. Constructing car parks, roads trails, mountain bike trails, installing and designing service, sewage, water, electric, tele comms cctv.
Providing professional advice on civil engineering and providing SHE advice as well as part of the country HS Wellbeing safety group.
The worst part of the job is not being a specialist, but an all round jack of all trades, but that means there is always something new!
The culture in the Forestry Commission is a can do attitude.
Pros
Working in the Forest. Varied job.
Cons
Lots of travel, low pay
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Scotland, UK26 May 2017
Government organization taking care of all forestry locations throughout the UK. All departments and locations worked well together. Management was extremely approachable and there was good opportunities for advancement.
enjoyable
Tree Planter (Former Employee) –  Moray11 April 2017
was hard work and also very tiring long days and being paid by the tree meant you had to give it youre all everytime you went out whitch i saw as a good challenge
Very interesting job
Woodcutter (Former Employee) –  Dumfries and Galloway3 April 2017
I started this job in the early 70s when I was 15 years old. I stayed in this job for roughly 8 years and I found it very enjoyable. I found being outdoors very exciting and enjoyed working outside.
Training
Forestry operative (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow27 March 2017
This was a good training opportunity I took which gained me valuable experience for my next job, I also gained experience with chainsaws and other power tools,
good
Forestry worker (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire27 February 2017
I done tree planting for this company I loved doing this job because it was outside work and the work wasn't to hard for me my boos was a grate guy and my workmates
Pros
Cons
no to long hours
Repetitive, mundane tasks, no opportunity for advancement.
Forest Craftsperson (Former Employee) –  North East1 February 2017
Too many meetings about when the next meeting is going to be. Micro managers setting bad examples to their staff re Health & Safety e.g.. Do as I say, not as I do. No support from badly trained managers; just get on with mundane job and don't complain or they make life difficult for you. Don't have your own ideas on how to do things as you won't be listened to. Don't complain as you'll be threatened with disciplinary action. No recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Nice area
Cons
Listed above
Fun but repetitive
Seasonal ranger (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire3 January 2017
I loved working for the forestry commission. The staff made everything fun, even with the repetitive daily tasks. I learnt how to deal with the general public and how to love the place that you work in at the same time!
Very old school !!!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lochgilphead21 December 2016
All staff were very nice most days as like any other office.

Normal admin as with most offices but completed by out of date methods.
Cons
Not open to change and work loads not there!
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Poundland, UK9 November 2016
This was a voluntary role that i enjoyed but did not pay. cant volunteer forever but dont regret the time i was there abd involved in the projects like planting new trees in place of dead ones etc.
Pros
good people
Cons
unpaid
State of limbo and uncertainties
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh7 November 2016
State of limbo and uncertainties surrounding future of Forestry Commission has affected the atmosphere. Little information about end date and future opportunities.
Good place to work for money each month with little effort
Not disclosed. (Former Employee) –  UK4 June 2016
Typical government organisation, Managers relying on their title rather than knowledge. Good incentives and opportunities to develop, however this is not reflected in promotion and opportunities to rise up the corporate ladder. More opportunities based on 'face fit' rather than knowledge known. No pay rise, or advancement available within payband due to Gov. cuts. Staff morale at an all time low due to impeding changes, and very little communication by senior management.
best place ive worked!
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  rugeley16 February 2015
Supportive management, opportunities, training. Would recommend anyone take a role if offered. Shame my position was temporary.
very enjoyable
tree planter (Former Employee) –  scotland6 August 2014
i enjoyed my job and gave me satisfaction traveling around scotland
Pros
the views
Cons
earlt starts
An enjoyable outdoor working experience!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Thetford Forest and surrounding areas29 April 2014
Volunteering for the forestry Commission as a trail ranger has been an interesting, healthy and useful experience.
Recommend to anyone with a love of the outdoors.
Pros
Variety and interest
Cons
None really
Fun place to work
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT17 December 2013
Rented out holiday cabins to people, cash handling, customer service, general office duties including telephone bookings
Pros
Free holidays
Cons
Travelling
Interesting customers, great colleagues.
Visitor services (Former Employee) –  Grizedale Forest8 January 2013
It's a seasonal area of work, with peaks and troughs tied in to holiday times. My primary role was visitor information, so keeping up to date with changes in the forest was imperative. I would also feed back comments from our visitors where provision could be improved. I worked in a team of 3 to maintain a 7 day/week information and retail service and the three of us complimented each other with our skills/interest range. We were largely self managing, with a manager available if we needed.
I learned to listen better and to recognise how other people take information in. I encouraged forward planning in our team, using quiet periods to prepare for busy times. A harder part of the job is keeping cheerful and fresh for each new visitor and not letting a difficult conversation affect my next customer. A more enjoyable part is succesfully calming down a difficult customer and finishing with them happy.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
working every weekend