First UK Bus Employee Reviews

Friendly staff
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Sommerset Bridgwater16 November 2017
Good job with nice passages and good route to drive round a good balance between work and home life you can be rewarded with a extra week holiday after 5 years service and secure jobs for the future people will always need buses
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Some long hours
bus driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn24 October 2017
When I first started this job it was a really relaxing job, management where really good from the top, ive always dealt with the public which was a big part in this job due too deling with them and offering good customer service everyday
Pros
wages
Cons
long days
No social life
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Bristol21 October 2017
Due to the continuous change in shifts it is very difficult to balance your social/ family life and work. The management team are unsupportive and it can be difficult.
Pros
Free bus pass and good salary
Cons
bad management and shift patterns
Absolutely Amazing
First UK Bus Trainee (Former Employee) –  Weymouth13 September 2017
Loved this experience to bits, and I know it is far from over. Everyone there is just amazing and it's one big family I will always be a part of and it just meant so much to me to be there, and when I can, I will come back, but everyone is just so so amazing there, I really couldn't have asked for a better opportunity. There was always constant support and laughter and it was so fun to be involved in it and was such a laugh.
Not a family orientated job
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City21 August 2017
Long shifts with long unpaid breaks. Various different shifts in week. Only suitable for single person with no social life. Drivers on old contract are working around 10 hours less per week and on the same pay.
Pros
Free bus pass
Cons
Shifts and long breaks
Give it a lot of thought
PCV Driver (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk20 August 2017
Jobs
ok company is rubbish
management haven't got a clue totally incompetent
Treat the staff terribly
You will only get on if you're a yes man other depots seem ok but forget Norwich
Pros
Good money
Cons
Bad management
A half decent place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Bradford15 August 2017
Its a half decent place to work, unsociable shift work, but the pay is half decent so can't complain really, management are ok they get things done when its suits them.

hardest part of job is the negative side like all the abuse aimed at drivers. Apart from that its an easy job.
Cons
Unsociable Hours
Don't even bother
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk12 August 2017
I worked in the management team in the customer services office and had never felt so unaccomplished in my life. I was paid pennies and expected to move mountains. Goal posts are always moving, and there is no care for at of the staff. A whole year of my life wasted
Pros
Free bus pass
Cons
Everything else
Enjoyable
Diesel Fitter (Former Employee) –  Doncaster1 August 2017
great company to work for easy to get along with learnt how to fix parts on buses like break pads changing oil doing all round maintenance on the bus.
Pros
Free lunch
great job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme31 July 2017
depending on which rota you are on depends on what time you start and finish so normally one week of early then one week of late early would start around 6 am and late woulf finish sometimes after midnight
Terrible managment and even worse shifts
driver (Former Employee) –  larbert30 July 2017
From day one in the depot I knew I was in trouble. Staff leaving left right and center. Getting penalized for the slightest mistake no job security at all.
Pros
Cons
everything
The whole job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Glasgow28 July 2017
The worse job every worked out of Glasgow. Management treat you like a naughty boy If you let them.always the drivers fault .shift are long and make you fall asleep sleep
Pros
Cons
Going home
Horrible, depressing job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Scotland22 July 2017
Undoubtedly the worst place I've ever worked. Driving is the easy part, dealing with dregs of society on a daily basis is soul destroying.

Management are all masons and are the only ones to appear to be promoted very quickly.

Drivers are back stabbers, some of them are ok, but the majority of them are earing wearing knuckle daggers with bad attitudes.

Shifts are long, feel like you're working all the time. Buses are an embarrassment, no heating in winter.

I wouldn't recommend First to my worst enemy, stay clear.
Pros
Quite good holidays
Cons
Bad management, scummy drivers, rubbish fleet, long hours and no social life.
Challenging workplace with new knowledge learnt
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea20 June 2017
Working at first bus is a great experience for me, when I done mechanics for Northgate I never felt like I was challenged very hard, working for first bus as an electrician has given me that challenge and developed my skills vastly in the electrical sector which I am extremely interested in. They have also provided me with other opportunities like the army engineering challenge back in 2016 which they put me forward for and allowed me the time off work, along with doing the irte skills challenge in 2017.
Pros
New experiences, always learning
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Hard work
PSV Driver (Current Employee) –  First uk bud4 June 2017
Life in road has its issues. Management do not make life easy for you at all. You are expected to drive unrealistic timings and mgt can't see the problem.
Pros
Free bus travel
Cons
Shifts
Not all bad
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds10 May 2017
I started at First bus in Leeds in 2005 & gained my psv. Was enjoyable at first as are most jobs. Slowly things started to change with the introduction of green road etc. The hours aren't for everyone but I worked permanent lates so didn't affect me too much. Management can be real petty about things & don't think twice about calling you in for "Tea & biscuits" & to give you a "telling off". Wouldn't advise this job for anyone who has a young family as you will rarely get to see them as the work pattern is all over the place. If your young & single & want to earn a few quid this could be the right job for you as there is plenty of overtime & I regularly did 65 hours a week.
Pros
Not bad pay. Free uniform. Free staff pass.
Cons
Split shifts without paid lunch. Dodgy shifts.
Great people to work with
Driver (Current Employee) –  West yorkshire27 April 2017
The hours can be long and unsociable but its like working for yourself when out driving. Where iwork we have an old fleet so isnt great to be stuck driving for 5 1/2 hours at a time but you meet lots of great people and can get to enjoy it
Pros
Free bus pass and rail tickets on cheap
Cons
Too many rota changes
Nice to be out on the open road
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol19 April 2017
This company have training firstly and once i. Had passed my test safety hazards test plus theroy test. I then took my driving test and passed. For the next two weeks i shadowed another driver for route training which i found very helpful.
Pros
Good to be your own boss when driving bus
Cons
Shift patterns which included working late nights
Terrible company to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk19 April 2017
Very long hours. Sometimes driving longer than 5.5 hours due to traffic congestion and then missing half of your break.

The abuse you get from customers is disgusting. Nobody should have to take abuse.

The management are rubbish. You're just a number.. they will back the passengers EVERY TIME, even if they are in the wrong.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, Abuse, Dirty Buses
fun
PSV Driver (Former Employee) –  Leicester18 April 2017
responsible for money
providing excellent customer service
learning multiple bus routes
providing daily checks of service vehicles
cashing in at the end of the day
Pros
free bus travel