first direct Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with great people
Card Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire1 July 2017
This is a great place to work.

Your job will consist of dealing with customers and no day is ever the same. You will always have something to do and the people you will work with are some of the best in world and I've made friends for life.

I've been here for over 7 years and I'm wanting to look elsewhere because it's time for a change and I need somewhere that will offer me a career with room to advance.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Call centre
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 June 2017
Ok if you want to work in a call centre and don`t mind working shifts or weekends. It can be a very demanding environment. Usually flexible for people who have child commitments. Good benefits but its hard to get out of working unsociable hours as there a very few jobs Monday to Friday so competition is fierce.
Pros
free parking, on site nursery, canteen, gym, pension, healthcare
Cons
Unsociable hours, no extra pay for unsociable hours
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire21 April 2017
Fun place to work very sociable and lots of support given to reach your financial target and has an excellent trading programme it also has a massive canteen to suit everyone's needs
Pros
Bonus scheme
Cons
Unsociable hours
excellent job satisfaction
Customer Representative for the Rookies (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire6 March 2017
First Direct treat their staff with great respect full training given and also support available at all times, they respect their employees and offer excellent benefits and rewards
Soul destroying
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton9 October 2016
When I first started, first direct was a great company to work for but eventually first direct were trying to bring out simple technology such as the first direct app but could not cope with the amount of issues and complaints coming through so since then first direct has rapidly went down hill from there. The staff turnover is shocking and if your face doesn't fit, you will not advance there. Oh and they claim to not have sales targets, but they do. They instead name it "APPROACHES" so you have that as an extra added pressure.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Extremely long hours, constant selling
this used to be a lovely place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leeds24 May 2016
I started in 2007 in the call centre which advertises(still) as a customer service role. It is not. It is a highly targeted position in every way. From the time it takes you to complete a call through to sales targets every month which you must achieve.
I moved to another department after a year which was lovely (still targeted) but after around four and a half years the business changed dramatically and has gotten worse ever since for staff. Too much pressure, to little staff and the goal posts are constantly being moved which is very demoralising.......
I left and a good number of great reps followed suit which is a shame for the business. There are also many staff and managers off with stress so what does that say.....
A real shame because the staff are lovely people and just want the best for customers
Pros
lovely team members
Cons
Need more staff, it's relentless.....
Fun to start with. Gets harder through time.
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  High Blantyre14 February 2016
After you get through 4 interviews and start the job starts off as being really easy.

With training in a classroom environment it's fun to make new friends and learn new things. However once the training is over that's where the fun stops.

As a bank there are certain procedures you must follow. However if you miss one word or one sentence of your scripting you get seriously marked down which demotivates you.

Account opening can take around 45 minutes to do over the phone. With customers understandingly getting annoyed with the obscene questions you must ask.

If you love taking calls all day with two 10 minute breaks and a 30 min lunch you'll love it. However this can become very tedious over time.
Pros
Employee benefits, pensions, good pay
Cons
Long hours, short breaks, no room for promotion
Very busy call centre, great team players.
Sales & Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG30 September 2015
A very busy call centre driven to provide excellent customer service by, listening to customers, identifying their needs then, providing a suitable product or solution. Ensuring all contact details are kept up to date. Providing accurate transaction details to customers, setting up payments, amending schedules, cancelling future payments. I learned a lot about banking rules and regulations. I had excellent team members although, it was quite difficult to locate a manager when required.
Pros
3 days off
fun but hard work
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG25 July 2015
this used to be a very good place to work but now you are expected t do four peoples jobs for one wage and there are even fighting giving the wage increase we deserve
they try to make it fun by bringing round food and other things but all the staff want is decent pay and for them to get more staff so it is not so busy all the time
they also need to look at the call grading system as this is now so unfair, if you miss out on saying one thing that the manager thinks you should have said at that point they can mark you down when it is not stated in procedures they say you should just know to say it.
Pros
flexible on hours as long as suits the business
Cons
long hours, not paid enought for what we have to do, not a fun place to work anymore
Good progression
Lending Services Coach (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG20 July 2015
Excellent company to work for, encourage growth within the company and reward hard work. I am ready to take my skills and experience elsewhere.
Not a nice place to work
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Leeds1 April 2015
Long hours, so much pressure for very little pay. I started working here part time during my studies and that was great. When i worked full time I couldn't earn enough money each month to survive. They refuse to pay a living wage.
Pros
25% dicount
Cons
Long hours, low pay, pressure
Not all it's made out to be
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG31 March 2015
A typical day at work is answering inbound calls from customers wanting to do various banking requests
Can be a very boring role
Not much support from Management
Not as much support for progression as made out to be
It is advertised as not being targeted sales role (it is)
Good Salary & Benefits
Expect to do early & late starts
The most enjoyable part of the job is having a nice conversation with customers
The worst part of the job is being shouted at by rude customers & not having support from management to take the call.
Pros
Salary & benefits
Cons
A very boring role
Long Term Employment
Senior Underwriter & Debt Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Leeds, ENG4 January 2015
Working in the Financial Sector is changing and becoming more regulated which is an acceptable part of life. This does however make the job I do more prescriptive and I feel I am no longer allowed to offer my customers the same level of service I have been used to in the past.

I am therefore looking for a change in direction to use my newly acquired skills and find a role which is more fulfilling.
Short term
Mortgage Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Leeds29 October 2014
Moved to the area so needed a job, not looking for a career in a call centre
Always something new
Internal Communications Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Leeds4 November 2013
A typical day at first direct is:
Busy, fun and engaging. It has a family atmosphere and people are open and honest.
It's a ever changing business and sometimes keeping up to that change can be hard.
Pros
free parking and drinks
Productive and overall good place to work.
Document Management Team Representative (Former Employee) –  leeds19 August 2013
Good place to work. Co-workers are very friendly and helping nature which made me comfortable.
fast moving enviroment
Outbound sales /Customer services (Former Employee) –  High Blantyre, SCT16 June 2013
Fast moving environment, Fun place to work. The company is focused on delivering high levels of customer service.
Great place to work, well paid, hard work and high expecations
Customer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Stourton15 January 2013
The training received is second to none and is continuous. There is a lot of support available and the other staff are very friendly.

It is hard work being 'on' all the time, as it is expected that the quality of each call is excellent. Calls are listened to and feedback given monthly.
Pros
atmosphere, staff.
Cons
antisocial hours
good place to work
customer sales representative (Current Employee) –  leeds28 June 2012
great place to work to learn new skills, good work life balance, a lot of flexibility with regards to shift and work patterns etc
job was sold to me as a customer care role, it is a targeted sales post
customer sales and services rep (Former Employee) –  high blantyre19 June 2012
very stressful customer facing role, constant remote monitoring, poor support, co-workers would rather report any errors than point them out to you face to face, managment are happy to entrap staff rather than guide staff, a good wage and benefits
Pros
4 day week
Cons
6am starts, midnight fininshes