Evans Cycles Employee Reviews

Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex15 October 2017
Evans cycles is a good place to work because the work environment is very relaxed, management will help you as much as they can, the benefits you get are very good if you enjoy cycling.
Pros
purchasing goods, staff days out, good working environment
It can be a fun place to work, it depends whom you work with
Cycle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kendal, Cumbria20 September 2017
I worked within the trade for 36yrs I've seen how the cycle trade has changed and become better other the years. I've enjoyed my time at Evans but now it's time for a change.
Pros
Get too try out the latest bikes
Cons
Long hrs and only one hr lunch, which goes quick.
Excellent place to learn customer service skills
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London8 September 2017
By far the best place to learn customer service and sales skills. You work within a team and there are a lot learn from the senior sales reps. The place is fun to work in and you meet with a lot of good and bad customers and you learn to adjust yourself accordingly.

The one thing i hate is, you work had and earn the company weekly targets of £30k, £40k, £50k and in return you get no thank you, no commission and no bonuses. Even bonuses are hidden and nobody knows exactly how much bonus a store gets and how much is shared amongst the staff. Its all hush hush between the managers.

Apart from the no bonus and no commission, its a great place to work and great place to learn a lot of skills that you can take with you forever, wherever you go.
Pros
learn sales and customer service skills
Cons
no bonus, no commission, greedy managers
Passionate people
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex1 September 2017
Very passionate people, struggling to find balance between local bike shop and corporate retailer
High standards expected across all areas but the management structure is quite soft, more motivational than threatening
Pros
Trade discount
Cons
Tight budgeting
Working for Evans Cycles.
Workshop Mechanic (Former Employee) –  London23 August 2017
I assembled and pdi'd new bikes and serviced and repaired bikes for customers. I need a good standard of knowledge and customer service when dealing with customers. I received new stock, put it away and also merchandised it. The team i worked with at the time were pretty friendly and helpful.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Expensive living in London
Stressful and never given recognition
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Berkshire31 July 2017
I was there for over 5 years and progressed from just a Sunday boy to becoming an Assistant Manager. It was not worth all the extra stress and the "extra money" was pointless.

Personally the only positive thing about that place was the benefits of discounts on major bike brands
Excellent if you enjoy bicycles
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire17 June 2017
Interesting and varied role. Excellent if you enjoy working with people and have a good knowledge and understanding of bicycles. Good career structure
Pros
Trade prices on cycling kit
Cons
Peculiar hours
productive and it is a fun wok placement
Sales Assistant (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Spitalfields14 June 2017
very good and well organised. well I've been doing hard work dealing with customers each days.it is a very fun environment to be in and i really enjoy working the organisation is very friendly and you learn more.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long and short hours
Expectations to high for someone with no experience.
Builder (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 June 2017
I feel the problem starts with the recruitment process, as your knowledge and ability to build bikes is never really tested.
I had a basic knowledge but nowhere close to what was required for the role and before I new it I was on my own building bikes.
The other mechanics where very helpful but they have there own work load so you never get the one on one training you really need.

I was encouraged to research and learn in my own time, and after being there a couple of weeks was expected to meet the required deadlines what I felt given the lack of training and knowledge was unreasonable.

The work itself I enjoyed, is relaxed most of the time, and only became stressful when I was under a deadline and couldn't solve a particular problem with the bike e.g. (Brakes, Gears)

I'm glad for the experience and the knowledge I have learned during my time there, but be warned if you are looking to be a bike builder for the long term, you either need to have very good knowledge of bikes or be prepared to require this knowledge in your own time.
Pros
Knowledge gained.
Cons
Pay, unrealistic expectations.
I haven for low moral
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham5 March 2017
Wages are the minimum they can get away with paying, some small bonus can be available but this is based on shop targets which while I was there dwingled as customers realised just how bad some of the customer service was.
Loads of customer complaints on a daily basis due to poor service.
The biggest problem seems to be the total lack of good management, and you see managers come and go regularly as the pay is so poor they take on inadicute "mangers" some with absalutely no managerial or retail experience! a recipe for disaster.
Moral in my store was at rock bottom when I left and a very negative toxic environment to work in, which I am told has got even worse since I left.

I would not advise working for Evans.
Pros
working with bikes
Cons
pay and poor management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf, UK26 February 2017
A very hands-on experience that requires a lot of hard work and enthusiasm in order to maintain a high level of customer service run by a very focussed and to-the-point management team. I enjoy talking to customers about the bicycles and their experiences. I have to say the hardest part is helping the more experiences bikers solve their technical issues with their bicycles but I am always up for a challenge which is the most important thing about the staff and management at Evan Cycles, we never give up!
Pros
Entertaning Staff
Cons
VERY rude cyclists / customers
left didt enjoy it there
Bike Mechanic (Former Employee) –  in store15 February 2017
expected too much from there staff.there was so many staff not doing anything on the shop floor while the work shop staff had too much to do. so many staff coming and going
Evans Cycles Leeds
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire24 January 2017
Working at Evans Cyclings has allowed me the customer experience to engage further with the cycling trade, whilst being in fast paced b2c organisation.
Fast paced workplace with opportunity to move about
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex23 January 2017
There are lots of opportunities to learn new skills and transfer internally. Some of the shifts an hours are quite unsociable but there are many roles that do not require working evenings or weekends. Like anywhere, there are extremely busy times of year, which means there is always overtime available
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf14 November 2016
Evans cycles is a very welcoming shop full of positive colleagues, run by strict management with very high expectations. I really enjoy working at Evans Cycles.
Great Work Place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames5 November 2016
This is a fun and productive workplace where you can get to learn a lot about bicycles and customer service. Depending on your store you will encounter hundreds of interesting cases where you will have to help out the customer to chose what is best for them by only guiding them with facts to help them choose.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
n/a
Good atmosphere, exciting opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester31 October 2016
Good atmosphere, exciting opportunities, fast company progression.
Training opportunities available throughout the company.
Good learning curve
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Gatwick28 October 2016
It was a decent job with fairly normal hours, was a good learning experience but didn't really enjoy it because of the management.
Horrible retail work.
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  UK.20 September 2016
Managers talk to you like you are an idiot. The area manager turns up and barks his orders at you like some impotent Hitler. Doesn't even say hello. but he is just a lap dog for the higher management who pay him to do their dirty work. Companies like chain reaction Cycles and wiggle make selling anything at full price impossible, so everyone wants a price match. You get talked to like cr#p by all the "wannabe" cyclists out there. Who are the classic example of "All the gear no idea" you are expected to know everything about bikes bit still get paid minimum wage. Don't bother. You will have no time to ride your own bike, and will have no soul left after a month.
Pros
Um?
Cons
See above.
You are treated like you are worth nothing
Evans Cycles Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  London11 August 2016
Don't apply as a sales assistant coz you'll be treated like you're trash by power hungry supervisors and managers who will show you no respect.

Worse don't apply as a part timer.

They will change your shifts for the following day when it suits them even if you have made plans.

Management and supervisors will pass their tasks onto you.

You're worth nothing so you'll be doing evenings always finishing after nine whilst managment and supervisors do days. For me I left just after ten in morning got back just before ten at night so whole day goes by and you can't do anything else.

Oh and If you do come late a few minutes late you'll get a ticket. never mind how many hours of unpaid time you have stayed behind to set up new campaign.

You're late it's their time you get told off but when it's your time it's fine.

Oh and let's not forget that on weekends it will be you Doing coz all non sales assistants have lives and you don't.

If you come in late two minutes you'll get a late ticket whilst it is perfectly ok for Management to come in 20 mins late no questions asked.

Management and supervisors can socialize around the till during quiet few minutes and if you try and share in any jokes you'll be told quickly in a harsh tone to go do some work.

It's horrible the way they treat sales assistants on probation utterly disgusting and morale killing.

They know they can get rid of you so treat you however they see fit.

You may be coerced to join ridiculous what's app work group so if you're a part timer with a wife and kid you can't take your
  more... mind off work because your phone is vibrating constantly about things happening in the shop that you do not need to know about. I tried leaving twice and was coercely added back in until I put my foot down. Leave the group you'll enjoy your life and days off from work properly.

Management need to understand as a part timer Evans is NOT the center of your life that's why you're a part timer.

They have now increased the probation period from three months to six which means more staff will come in and leave quick.

Evans needs to change the way they talk to their staff especially sales assistants . Head office are horrible and bullying when they come into the store.

It would be nice if staff shared in commission after a customer buys a bike off shop floor after test riding bike. This way Evans does not lose money as staff only make money when bike bought after a test ride.

if you sell over 10,000 pounds in one week and get nothing why would you push yourself to sell more next week when there is no incentive to sell more?

Hourly rate needs improving to at Least 9 pounds.

Pros
Met nice sales assistants staff who are down to earth
Bonus monthly
Pros
Monthly bonus
Cons
Long constant evening hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Evans Cycles. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5